India's tour of Bangladesh 2014

Gauti and Viru have to be given a chance, people just forget such players who have given us such starts when we were No.1 for players like Shikhar Dhawan. Yesterday Dhawan said ' With my talent I should be scoring more runs', what does he think of himself? In England when the ball will swing, a slashy player of his stature is bound to fail. He is bound to nick behind. I agree with those who are saying Ranji should be the base for selection, but not for proven players to be given another chance. We must remember that Gauti and Yuvi have won us championships, is it right to critisize them and leave them out for players like Raina and Dhawan?

Gauti and Viru have to be given a chance, people just forget such players who have given us such starts when we were No.1 for players like Shikhar Dhawan. Yesterday Dhawan said ' With my talent I should be scoring more runs', what does he think of himself? In England when the ball will swing, a slashy player of his stature is bound to fail. He is bound to nick behind. I agree with those who are saying Ranji should be the base for selection, but not for proven players to be given another chance. We must remember that Gauti and Yuvi have won us championships, is it right to critisize them and leave them out for players like Raina and Dhawan?

Gauti, may be. Yuvraj - NO. A few knocks in the IPL do not and should not set any criteria. And, they've not been backed by any FC or recent performances other than the illusionary IPL. Moreover, they haven't set the stage on fire.

Although this thread is for the tour to Bangladesh, but as you've mentioned about picking Dhawan for England, I'll say that he has certainly qualified himself for that given his record in the CT2013 and promising performances against NZL earlier this year in the swinging conditions. Sehwag is the same slashy kind of player who had a decent run against England a decade ago. Although I'll be very happy if Sehwag/Gambhir can make it, but it just doesn't seem correct.

As for the current tour, I think Karun Nair has certainly made himself a candidate now. Strong domestic season in all formats backed by the heavily seen IPL matches, Nair could well be considered over Dhawan.

Gauti, may be. Yuvraj - NO. A few knocks in the IPL do not and should not set any criteria. And, they've not been backed by any FC or recent performances other than the illusionary IPL. Moreover, they haven't set the stage on fire.

Although this thread is for the tour to Bangladesh, but as you've mentioned about picking Dhawan for England, I'll say that he has certainly qualified himself for that given his record in the CT2013 and promising performances against NZL earlier this year in the swinging conditions. Sehwag is the same slashy kind of player who had a decent run against England a decade ago. Although I'll be very happy if Sehwag/Gambhir can make it, but it just doesn't seem correct.

As for the current tour, I think Karun Nair has certainly made himself a candidate now. Strong domestic season in all formats backed by the heavily seen IPL matches, Nair could well be considered over Dhawan.

Agree. Even I would love Viru or Gauti. During all those years GG was an unsung hero.

Gauti is still young enough to force his way back into the NT , but for now , he should not be picked. He has not performed in the domestic competitions. I feel you are getting carried away by sentiment here. Gambhir , Sehwag and Yuvraj may have performed brilliantly at their peak , but are they performing now? IMHO , a person should not be picked on their IPL performance alone. And you are saying Dhawan wont do shit in England , have we seen him play on true English tracks? No. The pitches for CT last year were flat tracks ideally suited to the Indian team. We dont know how he will perform in true English wickets , however his performance in New Zealand was good. So give Dhawan some time. If he does not perform in the first 2 matches , then maybe we can contemplate changing him.

Last edited:
Gauti is still young enough to force his way back into the NT , but for now , he should not be picked. He has not performed in the domestic competitions. I feel you are getting carried away by sentiment here. Gambhir , Sehwag and Yuvraj may have performed brilliantly at their peak , but are they performing now? IMHO , a person should not be picked on their IPL performance alone. And you are saying Dhawan wont do shit in England , have we seen him play on true English tracks? No. The pitches for CT last year were flat tracks ideally suited to the Indian team. We dont know how he will perform in true English wickets , however his performance in New Zealand was good. So give Dhawan some time. If he does not perform in the first 2 matches , then maybe we can contemplate changing him.

Absolutely agree about the flat tracks, but atleast in BD GG and Sehwag should be given a chance, not in England. Having a few seniors is important

I guess you mean senior players being leaders? We already have 4 leaders in our team- Dhoni , Rohit , Virat and Ash. Therefore the argument for more leaders in invalid. And if you pick Gauti et al , on what basis will you pick them? Good performances in IPL? Then what about those who averaged 50+ consistently in the domestic competitions ?

I guess you mean senior players being leaders? We already have 4 leaders in our team- Dhoni , Rohit , Virat and Ash. Therefore the argument for more leaders in invalid. And if you pick Gauti et al , on what basis will you pick them? Good performances in IPL? Then what about those who averaged 50+ consistently in the domestic competitions ?

Dhoni and Virat are not going to BD. How many years ago did Ash make his debut? I think it was late 2010. Rohit is hardly someone who can be responsible for a team in a tour with no other senior players, discipline can take a hit. If not GG then atleast Viru, how can you not give them a second chance?

I think Uthappa's call up is definitely certain after this IPL and also by having a great domestic season overall. Saha, I say him because to me he is the second best WK after Dhoni in India, he handled a good 130+ balls coming at him close to the stumps really well from Sandeep, yes he is not as fast, but following the swing and then stumping (didn't get him out though) KP is something special. He made some terrific stops from Mitchy also.

I think Uthappa's call up is definitely certain after this IPL and also by having a great domestic season overall. Saha, I say him because to me he is the second best WK after Dhoni in India, he handled a good 130+ balls coming at him close to the stumps really well from Sandeep, yes he is not as fast, but following the swing and then stumping (didn't get him out though) KP is something special. He made some terrific stops from Mitchy also.

Saha is definetly a great keeper and batsman as well, remember the 6 and 4 of Morne Morkel? If Uthappa isn't given a call-up after what he is doing then it'll be silly.

Dhoni and Virat are not going to BD. How many years ago did Ash make his debut? I think it was late 2010. Rohit is hardly someone who can be responsible for a team in a tour with no other senior players, discipline can take a hit. If not GG then atleast Viru, how can you not give them a second chance?

Umm. Viru is even worse. What has he done before IPL ? His reflexes and hand-eye coordination are worse. And he never had a refined technique to overcome these obstacles.

If you watch Gauti's innings in IPL, he continue to play his suicidal prod-and-push shot against pacers. Its only a matter of time before the bowlers start using that weakness of his again.

I understand the nostalgic-love for these players. I will never forget their contribution to Indian cricket, and I hope that they come back to the Indian squad. But it has to be on the back of crackling performances in domestic cricket and not based on a few hit-miss-giggle IPL knocks. If they cannot take apart our mediocre bowling resources on domestic flatbeds, there is no way they will survive against International attacks in more challenging situations.

Absolutely agree about the flat tracks, but atleast in BD GG and Sehwag should be given a chance, not in England. Having a few seniors is important

Doest make sense ? Why give chances to GG and Viru in atleast BD? The Indian cricket jersey is not a welfare handout. Or atleast that's what most of us fans would like to believe

Last edited:
I see some suggesting Ashwin's name for captaincy. Well Ashwin is not even stable for his spot in the XI. How can you give him captaincy? If he had a stable spot and if he was reliable, I would be the first guy to want him be captain because he has a good thinking brain, he is calm headed most of the times and is not very expressive, etc.

To me, Rohit is a simple and straightforward choice.

I really hope that Pujara will fix his spot in the ODI XI. Its ridiculous to see a player of his calibre on the fringes for such a long time, despite solid performances whenever he gets a chance.

I really hope that Pujara will fix his spot in the ODI XI. Its ridiculous to see a player of his calibre on the fringes for such a long time, despite solid performances whenever he gets a chance.

The reason why I didn't include Pujara in my lineup for this tour is that, I believe Pujara's cold performance in this IPL could come to bite him as far as India ODI selection. A lot was talked about his slow batting this IPL in the media, and considering that our selectors give IPL performances importance when it comes to national team selections, I have no hope of Pujara making it into the ODI side soon. Also with Rahane cementing his spot in the team, the selectors will most likely not want too many anchors in the side. Its sad for Pujara, but this is most likely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread