India's Tour Of Sri Lanka- August 2015

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The problem here is, we dont play any tests outside the subcontinent for quite sometime now. So whatever success Rohit Sharma gets in the next few tests, cannot be judged in terms of his overall potential in test cricket. His technique is not at all good enough for batting overseas. On the other hand, Pujara base is way more solid. Pujara has gone through that phase where he is learning the tough lessons of international cricket, but I definitely back him to come good overseas than Rohit Sharma. And if you give Rohit all the time now, then you get to the point where when he fails overseas, you start all over again with Pujara.

Kinda what we did with Sehwag. Sehwag was a subcontinent bully. But his returns overseas were very average (the few good ones he had overseas was when they were very favorable for batting and more closer to subcontinent conditions). And due to his subcontinent successes, he was persisted with. A technically sound player will succeed anywhere. But a technically weak player gives a false perception only to let us down when the challenges come.

PokerAce

Banned
The Pujara situation is a shocker to be honest. What has the guy done to deserve this. Yes, he was terrible in England, but so was Kohli. Pujara if anything wasn't as bad a Kohli. Okay so Kohli redeemed himself in Aus, but then what miracle has Rohit performed to get ahead of Pujara, I have no idea.

PokerAce

Banned
Kinda what we did with Sehwag. Sehwag was a subcontinent bully. But his returns overseas were very average (the few good ones he had overseas was when they were very favorable for batting and more closer to subcontinent conditions). And due to his subcontinent successes, he was persisted with. A technically sound player will succeed anywhere. But a technically weak player gives a false perception only to let us down when the challenges come.

Okay this is not the first time that you have had a go at Sehwag in your posts. Why don't you wake up to the fact that Sehwag was a great and effective opener. Sehwag averages 43+ on away tours. Granted they include tours to Pakistan and SL as well, but don't tell me that those tours are easy.

As Sehwag went into a terrible decline on the 2011 tour to England, but till then, for 10 years since he got his debut, Sehwag when filtered for Oceania, America, Europe and Africa averages nearly 40. (39.45). I can bet you that apart from Gavaskar you will have a hard time naming three test openers from India (and perhaps in all of sub-continent), who for 10 years straight in their careers, were consistent enough openers overseas to average nearly 40 outside sub-continent.

If you filter for away tours only (including SL and Pak) upto 2011 they guy averages 48.56. Dont tell me that is not a great average for away tours. Why you think SL and Pak are easy tours is beyond me. Its almost as if scoring runs on those tours is worse than getting a zero for you.

After this how can you even say that Sehwag was not good overseas. I will frankly say that after Gavaskar, Sehwag is the best opener India (and perhaps the sub-continent) has ever produced.

Yes Sehwag averages better in familiar conditions, so what ... anyone will average better in conditions he is familiar with. Even Sangakarra's average plummets when filtered for overseas tours - from 58 to 47. So what? In itself 47 overseas for a batsman from the sub-continent is a good average. Similarly in itself, an avg of 40 for Indian (or SL or Pak or B'desh) opener outside the sub-continent sustained over a period of 10 years is beyond phenomenal.

Apart from Gavaskar, over a period of ten years, I don;t think any sub-continent opener can come close to matching Sehawag's numbers.

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
And, just to add on the above, you look at the IMPACT of those tons. His innings in Melbourne in the boxing day test, his debut ton as well as the hundred against England in England. I don't think he was a world beater in the sense that he would'nt walk into a world XI of his generation, but by far the best opener India has produced since Gavaskar. The thing with Sehwag was that even if he got a 50, the opposition was left in a blaze of daze for a session. No doubting his skill in the sub-continent. It would be sheer stupidity to leave a guy like Sehwag out when thinking of the world xi situation if the game happened in our part of the world. The guy won test matches in less than a session.
Also, he could make grand daddy 100's.

Like PokerAce said, he was finished after the WC 2011. It doesn't mean that we ignore that part of his career, but it's a good point.

Coming to Pujara vs R Sharma-

I am one of those that agree with the Rohit Sharma no.3 slotting in. I know the whole deal with technique and stuff, but you have to leave room for growth in a cricketer. He's at an age where he could either establish himself as a fantastic all time great Indian batsman or continue to flounder and irritate fans. Trust me, I totally understand everyone that advocates Pujara at 3 and not Rohit Sharma.

However, I feel VK wants change. His attitude seems to suggest he takes test cricket damn seriously and he's not the kind of chap that will settle for second best. He's repeatedly spoken about a brand of cricket that he wants to represent and fortunately or unfortunately Rohit Sharma fits in that theory. Specially at no.3. We Indians, have constantly bickered about the fact that we're not aggressive abroad. We go in defensive and by the end of the tour, our tails are between our feet. Well, it looks like we have our wish. Kohli has a blue print chalked out and if I've understood his game, he's going to back it, no matter who says what.

Like I said, I understand the frustration if Puj is left out. But, I see the potential of having a run machine at 3 who plays at a good click to set the tone in the test match. Rohit Sharma can turn out to be massive. The counter argument is that he could turn out to be massive and potential talk has been happening for 5 years and to not much avail. Also, Pujara scores quite briskly once he is set.

As you guys might have guessed by now, I'm very confused about the move, but I'm going to back Kohli. A captain needs some space to make some decisions and we should respect that, specially since he's just starting out.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
You need to understand one thing here. Pujara is a solid player and we all know that but he needs runs to justify his place in the team. He scored runs in South Africa but then he struggled in New Zealand, England and Australia. He had an amazing chance to get back into the reckoning by putting up a big score against inexperienced bowling of Australia A but he failed there as well. So Rohit for now deserve his chance. If he fails, then we can always bring back Pujara. We all know that Rohit is very inconsistent. However when in flow, he can decimate any bowling attack in any conditions. He needs to perform even more consistently now because he will be batting at number 3. Our only realistic chance of getting 20 wickets is playing with 5 bowlers and If we are going with that plan, I hate to say it but Pujara has to miss out for now.

Spot on, just changed two words.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have been a big Pujara supporter for a while, but I am an even bigger supporter of batting form. It really pains me to see Pujara struggling to make it to the national Test team after the immense promise he showed. His technique and temperament were considered ideal for the Test game and they were for a while.

But I think one would have to be blind to ignore the massive flaw that has crept into his technique, which has led to his failure. He just doesn't seem to have a solution to that delivery that comes back into him .. has been getting out to it a LOT, and that is big problem on the international level.

I still dont think Rohit deserves a spot over him in Tests, but I am not surprised that this route is being taken by the management.

PS: Sehwag indeed was one of the most "valuable" openers we ever had. No doubts about it

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India

PokerAce

Banned
Cricinfo has slipped up, its great to have some competition from Cricbuzz. Cricinfo for reason doesn't alwas open, and I find cricbuzz to be a great option. However cricinfo in regard to the sheer no. of stats it has is phenomenal, and the filters they have is great.

Cricbuzz definitely needs to catch up with cricinfo on the stats. Once the can do that, then I think they will be proper competition for cricinfo.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Cricinfo has slipped up, its great to have some competition from Cricbuzz. Cricinfo for reason doesn't alwas open, and I find cricbuzz to be a great option. However cricinfo in regard to the sheer no. of stats it has is phenomenal, and the filters they have is great.

Cricbuzz definitely needs to catch up with cricinfo on the stats. Once the can do that, then I think they will be proper competition for cricinfo.

Stats is a definite requirement. Also, cricbuzz doesn't provide coverage for a lot of the domestic and women's game. another area that requires massive improvement

Cricinfo on the other hand has gotten diluted despite the increase in content. The writing is getting predictable, and the ball-by-ball commentary has been overtaken by "user comments". I used to love the user comments options, even got my comments published a few times, but now they seem to be overdoing it. They have been skimping on info about the field and players to fit in more user comments and interactions, most of which usually tend to be not related to the current game

PokerAce

Banned
^ I have never had any comments published, I stopped trying now.

Cricbuzz does need to improve domestic game coverage.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
India bowling coach upbeat on fast bowling 'potential' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

From what I have been reading, it feels like Bhuvi is back in frame of things. He looked decent in couple of ODI's that I saw in Zimbabwe. He got those early breakthroughs and bowled very well at the death. His ability to strike with new ball is the one that is required especially in tests. If he gets back in the team that means only one out of Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav will feature in the final 11.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
India bowling coach upbeat on fast bowling 'potential' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

From what I have been reading, it feels like Bhuvi is back in frame of things. He looked decent in couple of ODI's that I saw in Zimbabwe. He got those early breakthroughs and bowled very well at the death. His ability to strike with new ball is the one that is required especially in tests. If he gets back in the team that means only one out of Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav will feature in the final 11.

Of course. Ishant Sharma has a lifetime contract in the XI. :rolleyes:facepalm

PokerAce

Banned
Indian openers put up a 100 run stand in the tour game in SL.

Rahul and Dhawan put up a stand of 108 before Rahul fell for 43. Rohit Sharma then soon followed for a score of 7. Dhawan and Kohli are presently batting on 61 and 6 respectively with India at 128/2.

You know what if Pujara can't make 3, then the best way to end which of the three openers to play is to play all three of them. Vijay and Dhawan/Rahul open and whichever of them misses out gets in at 3. Rohit Sharma has had enough runs an he can basically sod it.

PokerAce

Banned
India finished 314 for 6 at the end of teh first warm up game day 1. Rahane unbeated on 109 was the highlight and Dhawan scored 62. Rahul 43 and Pujara 42 were the only two other scores of note.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Disappointing to see Kohli still not finding form, but I hope he will come good when it really matters

On the other hand, thank God Pujara outscored Rohit

Users who are viewing this thread