India's Tour Of Sri Lanka- August 2015

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Kohli has been out of form since he has scored that century against Pakistan in the opening match of the WC. It's been quite a time since I have seen him posting a significant score. His form is definitely a concern. You will find both Rohit Sharma and Ishant Sharma in the first test match line-up no matter how they perform in this warm-up match.

PokerAce

Banned
Oh Dear, just checked the score and India are screwed in the series.

Its those clever clever Sri Lankans at their best. India finished their innings at 351. In reply SL have pulled off a genius move. They are 35/5 and have cunningly ensured that all those 5 wickets went to Ishant (4-1-5-5), yes 4 overs 5 wickets for Ishant, which means he is now undroppable for the first test, where we all know he will disappoint.

This cruel tactical genius from the Sri Lankans. India are as I said earlier screwed.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Undroppable from the first test ? Surely, you cant be serious.

He has booked his place for the whole test series. Only thing that can set him out of the side is injury

PokerAce

Banned
You know interestingly both Rohit and Kohli failed again in their innings. Pujara and Rahul are holding for and Pujara has had decent scores in both innings. I think Rohit may not be so sure to start in SL.

I mean lets keep in mind that he failed to score on a brick road of a wicket in B'desh, and has done nothing great since then. Kohli failing consistantly is a bit of an issue, and I think we need to watch this space.

For the first test if the team is hell bent on not playing Pujara, then atleast play Rahul ahead of Rohit. Vijay and Dhawan or Rahul open. Whoever of Rahul and Dhawan miss out on the openers slot, bats at 3. Then Kohli 4, Rahane 5 and Saha 6, followed by the bowlers. Also if we are hell bent on 5 bowlers, then I think that a case is made for Bhuvi as he can resist and get a few with the bat. So the team for the first test should ideally be -

Dhawan
Vijay
Rahul
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Harbhajan
Ishant (not ideal, but lets face it he is not getting dropped now)
Varun

With Bhajji so low, the trio of Ashwin, Bhuvi and Harbhajan can add 50 runs at the least. So the team doesn't look all that shallow in batting.

PokerAce

Banned
I have a feeling that those 5 wickets will cost us the series. Just kick out the guy, how has he played 60+ tests for India. How many matches has he won us - 1.

PokerAce

Banned
Also interestingly Ten Sports is not showing the series. The series is now on Sony Six HD and Sony Kix.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If Saha continues to fail like this, they should soon think of the option of handing the gloves to KL Rahul and have him bat in the middle order. I know he is an opener but in test cricket with a new ball due every 80 overs, having an opener in the lower middle order can be a very interesting and potentially advantageous move. Rahul has been a wicketkeepr for his state team before and its worth trying him out purely for the fact that his batting is solid and if his keeping is decent (Dhoni was decent and never spectacular), it would help India a lot.

Pujara has so far won the battle over Rohit. Yet Rohit will play ahead of Pujara on the grounds of "practice matches don't mean much". If Rohit had scored more over Pujara, he would have played on the grounds of "See I told you Rohit is better". Pujara needs to keep grabbing opportunities like this and keep jamming at the door often.

PokerAce

Banned
If Rahul is a 'proper' keeper, something much better than Dravid when he was tried, but short of say a Saha, then I think playing Rahul as a keeper is a must. In fact not playing him then as a keeper is criminal.

namin96

Club Captain
Kohli has been out of form since he has scored that century against Pakistan in the opening match of the WC. It's been quite a time since I have seen him posting a significant score. His form is definitely a concern. You will find both Rohit Sharma and Ishant Sharma in the first test match line-up no matter how they perform in this warm-up match.

Stop worrying about Kohli. I know it is a worrying sign, but Kohli is a great player. He will hopefully be ready for the series and step it up a notch when the series starts. We're definitely going to have to rely on Kohli in this series. Kohli's performance in this series will help decide the outcome of this series because he's the best player of spin in our side and the more runs we put on the board the better chances of taking 20 wickets. I would definitely include KL Rahul in the lineup and have him coming in at 3. Toss up between Rohit and Pujara, but it looks as if Kohli wants Rohit in the lineup.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Why do you guys dislike Ishant so much? I thought he bowled quite well when India toured England last year.

PokerAce

Banned
^ Cos the guy averages 37+ with the ball. He has played 60 tests. How on earth can that be justified. It is an appalling number. Does that in itself not tell you the torture it has been to watch him bowl for India for 7 years now.

He has won India 1 test match in those 62 apperances - at Lord's, thats it. After than its been appalling performances one after the other, and then a flash in the pan 5-fer somewhere and then more disappointing performances. If a guy doesn't get it after 62 tests, just drop him man and tell him to sod off.

But Ishant for some reason has a job for life. He somehow gets ahead in the pecking order of Bhuvi, who did have a very good tour to Eng, and has good numbers against SL.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If Rahul is a 'proper' keeper, something much better than Dravid when he was tried, but short of say a Saha, then I think playing Rahul as a keeper is a must. In fact not playing him then as a keeper is criminal.

I have heard that KL Rahul is a much better keeper than what Dravid was. His Cricinfo profile says his fielding position is 'wicketkeeper'. Which tells me that he frequently keeps wickets for his state team.

Why do you guys dislike Ishant so much? I thought he bowled quite well when India toured England last year.

Just like Rohit Sharma. Ishant has always been pepped up to heights by people only for him to consistently be inconsistent. In fact, his bad days greatly outnumber the few good days. He has given enough indications that he does not think of learning from his mistakes. Recently Nehra said that Ishant is the least talented but has come through this much due to his hard work and determination. I would say that 'hard work and determination' comes from the people who put in all the work to select him repeatedly.

Users who are viewing this thread