Intercontinental Cup

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
langerrox said:
Just wondering Andrew, what are Zimbabwe's status? are they in this league or above/below?
Still being a test nation, they're above this league! Personally, I think they should have been given the eighth spot in this tournament (instead of having the Namibia v Nepal play-off) and told that they had to win the tournament to keep their test status.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
It's a good idea, but say if they lost the tournament then would that possibly give the right for the winner to have a chance of being given Test status.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I
andrew_nixon said:
Still being a test nation, they're above this league! Personally, I think they should have been given the eighth spot in this tournament (instead of having the Namibia v Nepal play-off) and told that they had to win the tournament to keep their test status.
I'd go one better and say even if they did win the tournament, they should flip a coin to determine their test status.

Iron-Haggis

Club Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
What would be wrong with that?

Nothing would be wrong with that, but I just wouldn't see the ICC doing it. If any of these sides can beat a Test nation in the longer form of the game then they should have every right to play Test matches.

angryangy said:
I'd go one better and say even if they did win the tournament, they should flip a coin to determine their test status.

Isn't what they did anyway? Sure seems like it.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
In the ongoing Netherlands v Bermuda match in South Africa, Glamorgan and Bermuda batsman David Hemp has broken Steve Tikolo's Intercontinental Cup scoroing record.

Tikolo's record was 220, scored against Bermuda, and Hemp is currently on 233. He's in with the last batsman at the moment, and he'll be hoping that he can hold on until Hemp gets past 271, the record for the highest first-class score by a player from a non-test nation.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully this result will put those earlier claims about scores being low to rest:

Bermuda v Netherlands result

Netherlands 1st innings: 378 all out (ten Doeschate 138)
Bermuda 1st innings: 620 all out (Hemp 247 not out)
Netherlands 2nd innings: 170/2 (ten Doeschate 100)

Match drawn

Hemp's 247 not out is the tournament record, his highest first-class score, and equals the second highest first-class innings by a player from a non-test country.

ten Doeschate passed 1000 first-class runs during his second innings.

This result means that Canada secure their place in the final, to play either Scotland or Ireland.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
ten Doeschate got twin centuries? Wow. And Essex treat him primarily as a bowler. Or, atleast ICC O5 does...
Fine knock from Hemp. Who has the highest score Andrew?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
GS Patterson's XI...talk about leading from the front :rolleyes:
Does the really count as an FC game? A two-day friendly thing?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
First day of the Canada v Netherlands game today.

Ryan ten Doeschate took 6/20 as Canada collapsed for 103, and he is on 135 not out at the close of play. Now that's what I call an all-round performance.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
ten Doeschate is a beast. Essex are lucky to have him. Seems Test quality, like Steve Tikolo.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Well David Hemp's record didn't last long.

ten Doeschate not out for 259 in the Dutch 1st innings.

This innings gives ten Doeschate an average of 184.75 in the Intercontinental Cup. I don't care what level you're at, that's a damn good average!

Users who are viewing this thread