Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

The England selectors are pretty backward but they're not going to persevere with a captain that's failed for 2 years!

If this were a job interview and KP got it, then you'd say the man with no experience and no qualifications just got given it.

And quickly, as I can't see a thread on Vaughan himself, here's a summary of his captaincy

Michael Vaughan (England Captain)

vs AUS/SAF : P17 W6 D5 L6 (Won 35.29%)
vs IND/PAK/SRI : P11 W0 D7 L4 (Won 0.00%)
vs NZE/WIN/BAN : P23 W20 D2 L1 (Won 86.96%)

Overall : P51 W26 D14 L11 (Won 50.98%)

Series

D 2003 South Africa (h) P4 W2 D0 L2
L 03/04 Sri Lanka (a) P3 W0 D2 L1
W 04/05 South Africa (a) P5 W2 D2 L1
W 2005 Australia (h) P5 W2 D2 L1
L 05/06 Pakistan (a) P2 W0 D1 L1
L 2007 India (h) P3 W0 D2 L1
L 07/08 Sri Lanka (a) P3 W0 D2 L1
L 2008 South Africa (h) P3 W0 D1 L2

Series : P8 W2 D1 L5 (Won 25.00%)
Tests P28 W6 D12 L10 (Won 21.42%)

W 03/04 Bangladesh (a) P2 W2 D0 L0
W 03/04 West Indies (a) P4 W3 D1 L0
W 2004 New Zealand (h) P2 W2 D0 L0
W 2004 West Indies (h) P4 W4 D0 L0
W 2005 Bangladesh (h) P2 W2 D0 L0
W 2007 West Indies (h) P3 W3 D0 L0
W 07/08 New Zew Zealand (a) P3 W2 D0 L1
W 2008 New Zew Zealand (h) P3 W2 D1 L0

Series : P8 W8 D0 L0 (Won 100.00%)
Tests P23 W20 D2 L1 (Won 86.96%)

There's no clearer demonstration of why I was not convinced by Vaughan as captain. Split the Tests in half by strong and weak opposition and you see he wasn't that convincing as captain. TWO series worth banging a drum over, and one of those could have ended so different - the Ashes. Yeah we won, it was a great performance even to compete with them, but three wickets and two runs are not huge margins and it was a struggle. If anything the win in South Africa was more convincing. It's a shame the whipping boys are taking up so much of the Test calendar, we could really do with the "Championship" being revamped.

Vaughan Batting As Captain

vs AUS/SAF/IND/PAK/SRI : 55 inns, 1,565 runs @ 29.53 (100x3, 50x8)
vs NZE/WIN/BAN : 39 inns, 1,605 runs @ 45.86 (100x5, 50x6)

Overall : 94 inns, 3,170 runs @ 36.02 (100x8, 50x14)

It has declined as I may have previously mentioned a few times, 388 runs in his last 17 inns at 22.82 - that remarkably includes a hundred and a fifty!

In The Face Of Adversity?

1st Inns Leads

0-74 runs : P4 W4 D0 L0
75+ runs : P25 W20 D4 L1
Overall : P29 W24 D4 L1

1st Inns Deficits

0-74 runs : P6 W3 D1 L2
75+ runs : P16 W1 D7 L8
Overall : P22 W4 D8 L10

You could take the ability to turn a 1st innings deficit into a win as a sign of a good captain, some might argue it is just the team playing better and showing resolve. Well two of those wins were trailing by 65 runs against West Indies and New Zealand, another was a mere 8 run deficit to South Africa in the 2-1 series win in South Africa, and the biggest was when New Zealand crumbled having been a whopping 179 runs ahead at the halfway stage.

England's only defeat under Vaughan having been in front on 1st innings was when we were 93 runs ahead in Sri Lanka, a most disappointing result. You shouldn't lose sight of the fact 23 of those Tests, and 20 of those wins, were against West Indies, Bangladesh and South Africa. It's something different to turn around a sizeable 1st innings deficit against a decent side that can bowl and bat to the highest levels

Stop being overly critical of Vaughan only a few years before his captaincy we were ranked bottom of the Test Rankings you can't expect miracles, we're good but not that good.
England as a team are about average we beat those how are lower than us mostly in Test and struggle against those who are better.

I have a strong feeling that Kegin Pietersen will be one of the greatest English captains of all time.

Pietersen has to lead from the front as captain. I would like to see him bat at 3 on Thursday with the opportunity to bat at 3 with Vaughan not playing. If he can make a score, he is the kind of cricketer who will inspire his team with performances.
Hopefully the likes of Strauss and Collingwood, who have been captains before, give him some advice so he doesn't feel alone on the field.

It said in one of the papers (I forget which) that he will call on the previous leaders on the field for help and guidance.

In other, personal news, I have just been offered to go to day 2 as well as day 3 of this upcoming Test.

:)

It said in one of the papers (I forget which) that he will call on the previous leaders on the field for help and guidance.

In other, personal news, I have just been offered to go to day 2 as well as day 3 of this upcoming Test.

:)
Don't wear an Ipswich shirt. It is an arrestable offence.

Just got the net back after moving house, and my first post since returning had to be in this thread really. Delighted to see KP get the captaincy, he was the only real candidate in the mix really, considering he's the only player guarenteed a place in the 3 teams. His first game as captain was magnificent, couldn't really have gone more to plan, other than it being KP hitting a 6 off Harris to win the game. He was a little sketchy with the new ball in the 2nd SA innings, but apart from that it was an almost flawless performance from Pietersen. His hundred was magnificent, extremely leg-side but incredibly classy. Delighted that he's the new skipper and I'm certain that it's going to be a good appointment from the ECB, we'll start playing attacking cricket with real flair, reign supreme King Kev.

Welcome back Dan.I was searching for you since I came back. :p
asked few Englishman about you?
Anyway good to see you back. ;)
I am also very happy to see KP's positive intent.

Users who are viewing this thread