Kevin Pietersen Resigns As England Captain And Peter Moores sacked as Coach

You can never say never though. This is the ECB we're talking about here. I just think the way its been dealt with him 'resiging' means that in the future if they do want him back then they can still have him. Watching the sky sports coverage of the Aus Saf T20 match and in the game they were saying how we love Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting for their arrogance but as soon as we get someone like him we dont like them. Amazing the views of the British Public.

You can say his captaincy wasn't impressive, but away to India in your second test after what the recent bombings and trying to get a win was a HUGE ask! Even the experience of Punter couldn't go there and win the series. I think it's harsh to judge KP on basically one series. And I think the fact that Rob Key was an option for the Captaincy really shows that an English Captain will struggle as he just doesnt have enough leaders in the England set up. You like at South Africa, any one of them could captain: Bouch, Amla, Mckenzie, Prince, Kallis. Then there's Aus with Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Katich at a push. But with England you look at the side and you dont see any natural leaders, maybe bar strauss but many say he would be a better vice captain.

I suppose there would be a chance for KP to come back, but I think he'd need to go get some experience captaining his county side, which with his schedule is basically impossible.

This whole chain of events was caused by a mistake within the ECB anyway. The ECB requested that Pietersen wrote down his views on how the England team could move forward and what he thought of the current system in place, but then this was stupidly released to the News Of The World by some tool at the ECB. Someone clearly wanted KP out, and releasing that article proves it. It should never have been released, and someones head should roll for it.

You can never say never though. This is the ECB we're talking about here. I just think the way its been dealt with him 'resiging' means that in the future if they do want him back then they can still have him. Watching the sky sports coverage of the Aus Saf T20 match and in the game they were saying how we love Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting for their arrogance but as soon as we get someone like him we dont like them. Amazing the views of the British Public.

You can say his captaincy wasn't impressive, but away to India in your second test after what the recent bombings and trying to get a win was a HUGE ask! Even the experience of Punter couldn't go there and win the series. I think it's harsh to judge KP on basically one series. And I think the fact that Rob Key was an option for the Captaincy really shows that an English Captain will struggle as he just doesnt have enough leaders in the England set up. You like at South Africa, any one of them could captain: Bouch, Amla, Mckenzie, Prince, Kallis. Then there's Aus with Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Katich at a push. But with England you look at the side and you dont see any natural leaders, maybe bar strauss but many say he would be a better vice captain.
Pietersen failed in the ODIs as captain also. And that were before the bombings.

And seriously, what is this "despite bombings" talk? Didn't Aussies stay in England despite the London bombings? And do they excuse that it is because of bombs they failed?

KP was overrated as a captain after wins in England against a depleted SA side.

Precambrian added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

The ECB requested that Pietersen wrote down his views on how the England team could move forward and what he thought of the current system in place, but then this was stupidly released to the News Of The World by some tool at the ECB. Someone clearly wanted KP out, and releasing that article proves it. It should never have been released, and someones head should roll for it.

Do you have proof for what you are saying? Or mere conjecture?

I thought ECB was one of the best professionally managed board. Poor stuff this.

lol. What on earth gave you that impression? Everyone in the UK knows that for a first class example of incompetence look at national sport administrators.

barmyarmy added 1 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

KP was overrated as a captain after wins in England against a depleted SA side.

It was one test victory in a dead rubber. Whilst I feel that this was the right decision and KP wasn't a good captain I think some of the criticism directed at him is over-the-top and unfair when we consider how few games he actually led the side for. Captains need to grow into a role and there's no way anyone can do that in 3 tests (only one of which was actually lost).

Do you have proof for what you are saying? Or mere conjecture?

Well, I'm purely repeating what Shaun Udal had to say on Sky this morning, and if he's broadcasting that on TV, I'm pretty sure it's backed up by something. Pretty sure it came after comments by Dennis Amiss, vice chairman of the ECB, but I'm not 100% sure, it's definitely backed up somewhere though.

lol. What on earth gave you that impression? Everyone in the UK knows that for a first class example of incompetence look at national sport administrators.

Atleast in comparison to other national boards. Give me ECB anyday over BCCI or PCB.

It was one test victory in a dead rubber. Whilst I feel that this was the right decision and KP wasn't a good captain I think some of the criticism directed at him is over-the-top and unfair when we consider how few games he actually led the side for. Captains need to grow into a role and there's no way anyone can do that in 3 tests (only one of which was actually lost).

I am not so chuffed about England losing the test series. It was fairly close one. Had Tendulkar not pulled off that splendid innings, England would've won the Chennai test. So, I wouldn't read much into that.

I agree captains need some time to grow into their roles. However the ODI series surprised me for how one-sided the matches were. And KP was found wanting in various tactical aspects. An argument in his favor could be that he did not get the support he wanted from his back-room staff, particularly the coach.

However, his ham-handedness in handling the Moores issue has convinced me that he's a fiery guy, and unless they are backed up with results, the axe was bound to fall.

I agree. However, Sourav Ganguly once said that when you receive captaincy, you will have a brief honeymoon period and then your reall challenge begins. Rahul Dravid had this honeymoon period where India looked invincible in ODI cricket for a time being when I think Matthew Hoggard conceded that India were the best ODI team at the time. However, we went on to be knocked out of the World Cup in the first round. I think Kevin Pietersen's honeymoon period was too short, lasting only 1 test match and 1 ODI series. He was the best for the job, but the job wasn't the best for him. I'm happy all he has to worry about is his batting now. I think press reporters will be happy as well, seeing the back of sarcastic replies to every one of their questions :p.

Well, I'm purely repeating what Shaun Udal had to say on Sky this morning, and if he's broadcasting that on TV, I'm pretty sure it's backed up by something. Pretty sure it came after comments by Dennis Amiss, vice chairman of the ECB, but I'm not 100% sure, it's definitely backed up somewhere though.
Hmm... that's interesting.

I don't know much about how credible are Shaun Udal's observations, but if they contain an element of truth, then it is a very serious matter and has to be investigated into by the ECB.

Seems a bit of a coincidence for it to be leaked to the paper KP just happens to have a column in. Also as he works for them I'm sure they would have said look we have this and he would have signed off on them releasing it.

The ECB is as corrupt as the Indian board. The Indian board is corrupt in terms of money, the ECB's corrupt in terms of it only employes it's 'own'. The next great example of that will be when Ashley Giles gets given responsibility with the Academy as a couple of years as Warwickshire coach.

Moody and Lehman intrested in the job...you watch they will go and appoint Giles!

I think it's safe to say that English sport is run so poorly at times. The ECB and the FA are just completely inept. Shambolic.

Anyway I wouldn't rule out Vaughan coming back as captain. You know how ridiculous the ECB can be.

Well he is a better leader then anyone else ATM. Why not just have a pure skip, make him bat at 11 or something :p

Strauss has a good record as Skipper though, so it's not like there's no-one to do the job, and having Vaughan back wouldn't fix the ODi/T20 problem anyway, so there's as much of a problem if he was to get it back. Which just wouldn't happen anyway.

Apparently Jessica Taylor is considering pulling out of Dancing On Ice.

Users who are viewing this thread