Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

Thread Evolution!

Everybody is influenced by the people around them and now you are saying REAL - according to you - English people don't play cricket. There are a hell a lot of people of REAL english people who play cricket!

There are, but where are they in the county system? That was my point. A lot of the county cricketers are NOT English people! Where have they gone? Not soccer, not rugby, not athletics, not tennis, then where??

Umm I don't really want to go through every player in the county system that falls under the 'English' cricket category.

But If we look at England as a whole country then there a lot of different races coming into England and as my dad likes to put it.

'They are no longer called the white cliffs of dover but the multi coloured cliffs of dover'

Umm I don't really want to go through every player in the county system that falls under the 'English' cricket category.

But If we look at England as a whole country then there a lot of different races coming into England and as my dad likes to put it.

'They are no longer called the white cliffs of dover but the multi coloured cliffs of dover'
Yes, but that is more to do with moss, erosion and weathering than immigration. Please get the joke

It's a metaphor manee for saying that England now lets in a lot of different people from other countries background and races and accepts them into the society!

The ECB had nothing to do with it, and thats why I'm saying they are cricketer's who weren't produce by England (Read: ECB).

Yes they are produced my the ECB going back to Samit Patel the England under 15s,17s and 19s are part of the ECB youth programme. I don't see why it has anything as to why they orignally got into cricket. I am what you would call English meaning all of my family as far back as we know were born in England but I can catergrically say that it was in no way the ECB that got me into cricket nor was it anyone around, none of my friends like cricket in the slightest and call me barmy when I get up at 12 at night to watch England overseas but thats there loss.
I see it as if you're going to like it then at some point in your life you find that you like something.

It's a metaphor manee for saying that England now lets in a lot of different people from other countries background and races and accepts them into the society!

I'm not sure whether to go :mad or :p but have you highlighted the post?

No, what I'm saying is that a lot of England County and International players were either raised up with an Asian infulence or from playing cricket elsewhere, and very few are actually just regular Englishmen who play the game.

Here is the article I was looking for:

http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/308031.html

An interview with Bopara. Some good quotes:

Again, more or less my point.

I'm not saying they are not English, I'm just saying that they are who they are thanks to a lot of outside influences from other cricketing communities and not thanks to England's youth and domestic cricket structures. England didn't 'produce' them so to say - unless you count the fact that they were born in an English hospital.

England didn't produce them? You could argue (not that I would, I couldn't care what background a player has, Ravi Bopara and Sam Patel are as English as Vaughan and Flintoff are) that England produced all cricketers around the world. Given we created the sport (well the brilliant South East did ;))

Though I think we are going away from the topic too much. Thread evolution happens, but come on, England has a new captain for the first time in 5 years! It's huge news, let's talk about that.

I don't remember who it was who said Collingwood had nothing to deserve any adulation during his time as ODI captain but whoever it was that was extremely harsh. He led to us to series victories over India at home and a fantastic victory over Sri Lanka in their own backyard. Those kind of victories were almost unheard of before he took over so I think we also have to congratulate Paul Collingwood for his brief time as captain.

Mike Atherton said that.

Eh, guys, I'm surprised a mod hasn't said this already but the thread is for KP as captain? Not about how English players arn't really English or whatever.

Now, back in topic, I think that KP's first game as captain is crucial, if he goes out and blasts runs then we will have an inkling that the captaincy hasn't affected his batting, but if he goes out and looks under pressure and not comfortable batting we could have a problem. But I think it's a good choice.

Have you not managed to notice how both sureshot and manee have commented on this? Both Mods. It's a thing called thread evolution so technically still on topic. I have given my views on why he is captain and think he will do very well!

Users who are viewing this thread