Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

I'm very glad that Patel has finally been noticed he'll do very well if given the chance.

Patel is a quality player from what I've seen on Sky. Plus his bowling and fielding will make a very good addition to any team.

Bringing Prior back, I feel, is a good decision. I will be interested to see how Ravi performs in the the final test though, to justify his selection over Shah

Not a bad first press conference - it was a harsh question about Pakistan! I think that Butcher on Sky Sports News got it spot on - when you're not quite sure what option to take, take the most aggressive one. That is certainly what England did, and I hope that it pays off. If not, then it could be Botham as captain Mk II.

Right well next on England shopping list is to get rid of the selectors! They may have made an amazing decison by putting KP as skipper. One I fully back but the fact they only made one change to a side that is being dominated by SA is a bad one in my choice.

I would like to know what the hell isn't Shah doing there? They should have got rid of siddy adn given him a break. Instead he's gonna break down either during the week or in the match and we will have to call someone else up. Especially as he is now in the T20 squad and ODI Sqaud. Give the lad a break he's clearly not at his best. This England team is offically now a clique.

The selectors just aren't ruthless and having Giles as one shows this! Giles is just too nicer guy and is too friendly with the players!

Okay - gotta get my moderation patka on...

This thread is for discussion of the new England captain, Kevin Pietersen, whereas the tour thread can be about the Third Test and ODI squad.

Manee I will put my post in the tour thread aswell so it's not just here.

On KP.

Arrogant, Ego and loud! It's great, Good decision we need somebody like this and can't wait to see him as captain and just hopes everyone gives him a chance.

Also It's quite nice to see that Rob Key is actually being noticed!

It's an exciting time for England cricket. No-one knows what is going to happen. One of our most successful captains has resigned, to be replaced by one of the most exciting players to pull on a the three lions.

KP will never shirk away from a challenge, he tends to win the challenges too.

It's an exciting time for England cricket. No-one knows what is going to happen. One of our most successful captains has resigned, to be replaced by one of the most exciting players to pull on a the three lions.

KP will never shirk away from a challenge, he tends to win the challenges too.

Now I agree with every word there Sureshot. :)

Patel? Can't England find a decent bat who is purely English and not an immigrant? :p Shah, Bopara, KP, Strauss and now this fella...

From a radio show yesterday, there were tons of people SMSing in that they wanted Monty as skipper. That would be interesting :p

Umm Bopara is English? - May 4, 1985, Forest Gate, London

It was a joke, but if you really want to go into it, cricketers like Bopara, Shah, Patel, Min Patel, Kabir Ali, Sajid Mahmood, Panesar, Adil Rashid, Solanki, etc. all got into cricket because they were raised alongside other Asian immigrants and in an Asian culture.

Strauss is an all English product, I'll give you that, but KP learnt his cricket in England, and Pattison in Australia.

Amongst other players eligible for England, there are several who have learnt thier cricket elsewhere: HD Ackerman, Nic Pothas, Sean Ervine, Jonathan Trott, to name a few.

Then there are all the Asians who were lead into cricket by their parents and outside infulence from other immigrants in their area.

Add to that the huge amount of Kolpak players who are dominating the County game, and a lot of overseas players as well, and indeed, there are very few Pure English products in the England cricket system.

This leads to a deeper issue - what is the English youth doing? Soccer, can't be, the Premier League is full of imports. Probably all stuck in Div 2, and the abysmal performances of the English national side show that even the best talents aren't able to compete at a National level or lack the motivation to do so. Rugby? Despite a good WC, I don't think they are a great rugby side either. Athletics? Yea right. Tennis? Only Andy Murray springs to mind currently.

It's an interesting issue, but this isn't the thread for it...

Users who are viewing this thread