Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

Every player in the England squad is English. If they weren't English then they wouldn't be in the England squad. Simple.

Every player in the England squad is English. If they weren't English then they wouldn't be in the England squad. Simple.
Haven't we gone over this? *sigh*

Anyways, back on topic, the coin toss should be interesting...KP vs. Smith. Hoping they both have a few words for each other :D

It was a joke, but if you really want to go into it, cricketers like Bopara, Shah, Patel, Min Patel, Kabir Ali, Sajid Mahmood, Panesar, Adil Rashid, Solanki, etc. all got into cricket because they were raised alongside other Asian immigrants and in an Asian culture.

How in allah's name does that make them not English? BeThey are in England! So if they get brought up in Bradford they aren't considered English where as if they were brought up in somewhere like Devon it makes them english just because the ethnic majority is asian doesn't make it so if you live there your an asian!

What a ridiculous comment!

How in allah's name does that make them not English? BeThey are in England! So if they get brought up in Bradford they aren't considered English where as if they were brought up in somewhere like Devon it makes them english just because the ethnic majority is asian doesn't make it so if you live there your an asian!

What a ridiculous comment!
If they were raised up as normal English kids around other English people, it is unlikely all of them would have gotten into cricket.

But as they were raised around other people from the subcontinent who had a deep interest into cricket, they got into it.

How do you think I started playing cricket? I enjoyed all sports, but could barely bat or bowl to save my life. But every other kid in the area was playing cricket and only cricket, so I worked into it and grew to love the game.
Had I been raised around kids playing soccer and only soccer (As you would find in England or even Banglore), Soccer would have been my first sport.

How is that a ridiculous statement?

Infact, there is an article on this somewhere on Cricinfo, which credits the fact that these players grew up as kids around cricket-crazy parents and family and became what they are now. I'll look for it...

ZoraxDoom added 6 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Not the article I was looking for, but...

Actually England's production line of players is even less successful than it seems. Amongst the current players, Monty Panesar was raised in Northampton (everyone has to be brought up somewhere) but as a Sikh he has a strong second identity. Kevin Pietersen hails from Kwa-Zulu Natal, Tim Ambrose is an Australian, and therefore a fierce competitor, and Andrew Strauss is another South African whose family moved to England in his early days. For that matter Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara retained close ties with their communities.
Pretty much my point.

http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/358408.html

Yeah but what your trying to say is that it then doesn't make them English just because they have lived in a place of asian influence in England!. They are English if they are a brought up here or born here!

Hang on I don't live in an Asian influenced area hell I don't ever think I've seen an asian in my community and yet we all play cricket so clearly your theory is wrong!

No, what I'm saying is that a lot of England County and International players were either raised up with an Asian infulence or from playing cricket elsewhere, and very few are actually just regular Englishmen who play the game.

Here is the article I was looking for:

http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/308031.html

An interview with Bopara. Some good quotes:

Bopara believes that a streetwise childhood helped foster his level-headed approach. Born in Forest Gate, East London, to Indian parents, he was touched by the game at an early age while watching his dad play park cricket for Internationals CC. Ravi remembers hating it when he was not taken.

While his dad played, Bopara and his brother would throw a ball around on the side. Most nights from the age of nine were spent playing cricket with his friends from the local area, often in slightly dodgy surroundings.

It is this attitude that has turned Bopara into a fans' favourite at Essex. He is also a big hit in the British Asian community, receiving compliments and being asked for cricketing advice on the streets.

And Bopara hopes his family's attitude, as much as his success, has a positive effect on the community. "Hopefully parents can see myself and Monty Panesar and realise that kids can go out and play sports and that it's not just about reading books and being a doctor.

"Sachin's my ultimate hero. He's the one who I learnt all my batting off, just watching him constantly. I always tried to copy his batting and put it in my own style. I want to be a top-four Test batter - similar to Tendulkar. I don't think anyone's going to score as many runs as him but I want to have a career close to his - do everything he did but do it for England."

Again, more or less my point.

I'm not saying they are not English, I'm just saying that they are who they are thanks to a lot of outside influences from other cricketing communities and not thanks to England's youth and domestic cricket structures. England didn't 'produce' them so to say - unless you count the fact that they were born in an English hospital.

Last edited:
That is a riduclous comment does this mean that all of the people who live in Bradford for example aren't English as some of the people who taught them to do certain things aren't English???

Hang on they are English! England is a country that lets in a lot of different people!

If they grow up in England and have fun in an English community here they learn these things they are english. So if I went to go and live in Bradford I am now not considered English anymore because I have lived in asian based community!

Come on!

I'm not saying they are English, I'm just saying that they are who they are thanks to a lot of outside influences from other cricketing communities and not thanks to England's youth and domestic cricket structures. England didn't 'produce' them so to say - unless you count the fact that they were born in an English hospital.

Yes but in which country did they play cricket while they were young Im guessing for the most part England. Samit Patel for example has come up through the Notts youth academy I supose that isn't a domestic structure as there are people in nottinghamshire not from English backgrounds. He's also represented England at under 15, 17 and 19 levels

I still don't think that makes him English Themer :rolleyes:

Where are you getting that I'm saying they are not English?

What I'm saying is that they aren't cricketers produced by the ECB, but by external influences.

Let me put it this way - How did these cricketers as kids get off the couch and go and start playing cricket?

Did the ECB have anything to do with it? Nope.

It was either their community who got them starting to play cricket (Neighbours playing it all the time, Parents saying "Get out of the house and play cricket or something", etc.), or the region where there were raised as a child that developed the interest and passion for cricket in them.

The ECB had nothing to do with it, and thats why I'm saying they are cricketer's who weren't produce by England (Read: ECB).

If a cricketer called, lets say Rohit Singh, came up and said "I am who I am thanks to the ECB coaching system. My parents didn't lead me into cricket, my spark in cricket was created by watching England matches on Sky, and I've learnt everything I know thanks to the ECB.", then you could say he is an English cricketer. A cricketer produced by the ECB.

But if a cricketer says his influences are his asian community, his role models is Sachin Tendulkar, he learnt his cricket in another country and his style of play and attitude to the game is based on learning his cricket a different style that had nothing or very little to do with the ECB, then he really isn't a cricketer who has been produced by the English cricket system.

Now we've gone well off topic...

I'm not saying they are English, I'm just saying that they are who they are thanks to a lot of outside influences from other cricketing communities and not thanks to England's youth and domestic cricket structures. England didn't 'produce' them so to say - unless you count the fact that they were born in an English hospital.

Right There zorax!

Users who are viewing this thread