Kevin Pietersen Resigns As England Captain And Peter Moores sacked as Coach

and I'm pretty certain, from reading his Autobiography that he won't be wanting to go back to South Africa. He'll remain an England player, there's no doubting that, and he clearly wasn't the right man for the job, it was worth a go, as he's the only man capable of skippering all 3 forms of the game, but it hasn't worked out. Now to go back to Mr Dependable Andrew Strauss. As Bumble said on Sky Sports News, the best players don't make the best captains, Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, sure he mentioned a few others as well. I think it's good for the England team that Strauss is in charge, it's just a shame that the whole saga has left a bitter taste in the mouth, and left us in abit of a mess frankly. I'm sure that'll all be sorted by the time they come back from the Carribbean anyway.

Unless they get into an even bigger mess!!:p

Looks like they will do with Strauss now confirmed as leading the ODi and T20 sides in the Carribbean. We need to make the ODi and T20 side's stronger, not weaker. Just so long as it's not Cook and Strauss opening I'll be happy. Strauss and Prior/Bell/Bopara could work, but I much rather see someone like Key or even Denly up there with Prior or even Bell. If Strauss bats down the order we'll be buggered as we need power hitters down the order, not someone like Strauss.

I can see us losing the ODi series tbh.

Edit: Ooohhh, that's good news. Cook's been dropped from the ODi squad :D Here's the squad if you've not seen it yet:

England one-day squad for tour to West Indies: Andrew Strauss (Middlesex, capt), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Steven Davies (Worcestershire), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire), Steve Harmison (Durham), Dimitri Mascarenhas (Hampshire), Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Matt Prior (Sussex), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire).

I'd probably go in with:

Andrew Strauss (C)
Ian Bell
Owais Shah
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Matthew Prior (WK)
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
James Anderson
Ryan Sidebottom

I really want Bopara and Mascheranhas in as well, but it's pretty difficult to fit them in with Prior down the order. I suppose Prior could open with Strauss leaving a space for either Ravi or Dimi in the middle order in place of Ian Bell, but I do like Bell in OD cricket. Not going to be easy to pick a side tbh.

Last edited:
Why do England keep playing Bell as an opener? Wouldn't he be better used at #3?

I would like Tom Moody as coach. Wanted him when we got Moores in.

Why do England keep playing Bell as an opener? Wouldn't he be better used at #3?

Shah and Pietersen > Bell at 3. I'd much rather see either of those 2 at 3 than Bell, Shah's far more useful up the order, gives him time to get settled and then go for it at the end. Shah's a far better player than Bell atm.

Yeah, but Bell just seems very uncomfortable as an opener. Shah's already a good player and I'm sure he'd be willing to bat anywhere as he just wants to play for England but I would want to get the best out of Bell when he isn't in form in a position in which he is more comfortable.

It was only in India that Bell looked uncomfortable at the top. I think he's done an alright job at the top in England. If he could gain the consistency and play like he did in the T20i against New Zealand then he'd be dynamite. Just needs to be given time to adapt to the role I think.

Farewell KP welcome back AS

Yes another typical selectorial/managerial shambles!

For such a fabulous game it does so often end up with dreadful schimozzles like this. England will definately miss Vaughan's tactical nous for this summers Ashes series and surely they can't afford to be without KP as he's England's best batsman by a country mile.

Oh well,as i often say,sod the politics and just enjoy the cricket!

No Trott, stupid decision, they obviously didn't get my email so i wll send it again. If they don't respo nd again I will make the 3ird one count

Andrew Strauss (Captain).
Stephen Davies (Wk/).
Owais Shah.
Kevin Pietersen.
Paul Collingwood.
Andrew Flintoff/Ravi Bopara.
Andrew Flintoff/Dimitri Mascherenhas.
Stuart Broad.
Graeme Swann.
Jimmy Anderson.
Ryan Sidebottom.

Either Bopara or Mascherenhas depending on whether we want stronger batting or bowling, but they'd obviously play in different positions. So the choice is between Bopara and Dimi and not them or Flintoff. Could get away with Dimmy with Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann's batting abilities, but with Bopara at 6 then I reckon we'd have a very good amount of strength in depth in the batting. Prior failed as an opener and if Davies can come in a do a job with the bat (Steady) and he is a better keeper than Prior so.

I really can't believe the selection. When was the last time a player got into ODI squad only because he was the captain??

Well the team's hardly been setting the world on fire anyway. I don't have a problem with split captaincy personally but I agree that there aren't any obvious candidates for the job.
If I had it my way the ODI and Twenty20 squads would be development squads for the test team...

Is that the ECB you're mailing? They always respond to me, no joke
Yes. Ok last night I went off on one a bit but they should give Trott a go. They do have about 50 email adresses though.

I'd probably go in with:

Andrew Strauss (C)
Ian Bell
Owais Shah
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Matthew Prior (WK)
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
James Anderson
Ryan Sidebottom

I do agree with that team except for Bell. He has been given too many chances and Ravi did a good job opening in India so I would have him instead of Bell, opening.

Users who are viewing this thread