Making bowling more enjoyable, seeing weather/pitch effects etc. - invitation to playtest

I batted in my series in the first one dayer and was ripped to shreds by (a default??) Tredwell, 3-1-5-7. 6 edges, one bowled. I think I'll stick to simming for now!

Agree strongly with @cooks1st100 re the seeming impact of low consistency attribute & impact on AI batsman middling - getting some pleasingly clunky sounds!

I've been having some great fun these last couple of days. Have found setting consistency at around 15/16 to be a pretty good balance so far. Shots are going in a variation of directions and some of the edges I've had have been nothing short of amazing. Had one earlier caught at point from a batsman defending a shortish delivery! Also managed to get a first genuine top edge but sadly not from a pull-shot which I have still yet to see but am definitely hopeful now.

I've been having some great fun these last couple of days. Have found setting consistency at around 15/16 to be a pretty good balance so far. Shots are going in a variation of directions and some of the edges I've had have been nothing short of amazing. Had one earlier caught at point from a batsman defending a shortish delivery! Also managed to get a first genuine top edge but sadly not from a pull-shot which I have still yet to see but am definitely hopeful now.

15/16 as in notches or procent?? Confused!

Increments/notches/bars Dutch.

I think this will be of use for human batting as it should result in shots having a bit more variation in their direction, if the AI shots are anything to go by.

The difference with these settings on pro and veteran is amazing: if I bowl with these settings on veteran Rogers smacks Anderson around at 12 an over: in pro I got him first ball! Beautiful inswinger clippong offstump, missing his defensive push,,,,and then had a good lbw chance against Watson.....amazing what a gulf in difference there is.....how to get these settings balnced for veteran.....pro seems to be more sensitive to this than other levels....

Got the Aussies 15 for 2 off five overs.....first ball the best ball I ever seen in this game and any cricket game for that matter...pitching just outside off, seamed in off the pitch and clipped the top of off, beating a lunging rogers.....after that Watson plumb LBW...Anderson is having a cracker......there is a goldmine in these skill and attribute tweaks.....The Holy Bail is close!!!

And Watto loses offstump.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there is a big difference between pro and veteran and it's not just the difficulty. I feel the pacing of the AI on pro is far more suited to the longer formats whereas on veteran they attack the ball constantly so is more suited to the one day formats. I've gone back to pro as a result of this and am feeling confident that I can get the AI up to a decent enough level to post competitive scores at a reasonable run-rate while at the same keeping the "feel" of longer format cricket.

Now I've cracked consistency and getting a reasonable balance between bat and ball, I am trying to see if I can manipulate the shots that the AI play in an attempt to reduce the cut-shot to straight/full deliveries or at least make the shot far less suicidal.

Yeah there is a big difference between pro and veteran and it's not just the difficulty. I feel the pacing of the AI on pro is far more suited to the longer formats whereas on veteran they attack the ball constantly so is more suited to the one day formats. I've gone back to pro as a result of this and am feeling confident that I can get the AI up to a decent enough level to post competitive scores at a reasonable run-rate while at the same keeping the "feel" of longer format cricket.

Now I've cracked consistency and getting a reasonable balance between bat and ball, I am trying to see if I can manipulate the shots that the AI play in an attempt to reduce the cut-shot to straight/full deliveries or at least make the shot far less suicidal.

Can you expand a bit more on what you feel consistency does?

(oh dear just noticed that this is my 10.000th post on this site.....

So im not sure but I think it has to do with timing and from experience might be with keeping their heads. So high consistency will result in lots of timed shots out the middle and also less likely to play a crap shot and the lower it goes the more bad shots and less middled deliveries but you might wanna check with Cook

It's how consistently the ball is struck with the bat. So set high will find the middle more often than not, while set low results in the middle being struck less often. From what I have seen so far lowering it results it finer edges (possibly also an increase in the amount of edges) and a greater variation in shot direction which is why I say there will be some use for human batting also.

As @blockerdave said you can actually hear the difference in the shots.

So im not sure but I think it has to do with timing and from experience might be with keeping their heads. So high consistency will result in lots of timed shots out the middle and also less likely to play a crap shot and the lower it goes the more bad shots and less middled deliveries but you might wanna check with Cook

I don't think it has an effect on their timing or shot selection, but how often it finds the sweet spot. I'm actually getting less catches to mid-on/off as the ball is not always going to the same spot.

As I say I am currently testing it at around 15/16 which seems to be well balanced. I will increase it to see how high it can be set without losing the fine edges and variation.

I imagine I will end up setting it in relation to the quality of the batsman.

I don't think it has an effect on their timing or shot selection, but how often it finds the sweet spot. I'm actually getting less catches to mid-on/off as the ball is not always going to the same spot.

As I say I am currently testing it at around 15/16 which seems to be well balanced. I will increase it to see how high it can be set without losing the fine edges and variation.

I imagine I will end up setting it in relation to the quality of the batsman.

It seems that there is a bigger equation in the different skill settings than we thought....so one or two increments can make a big difference......

way I have tested things in the past is to set everything to minimum, then set one value to maximum and see in game effect (if any). Time consuming and boring but often works

I have had consistency at its lowest for a while now and it definitely affects the timing of the shot.

I get alot of clunky thuds as you would expect.

For some reason i have found lately than conservative plays in a more mild mannered way that precise. Im not sure the reason for this.

I was having a play the other night and had a batsmens increments at 10 for offside and 1 for leg.

This was an attempt to stop the wipe to mid on. For the most part it worked and was getting some more genuine cut shots etc.

Its a shame you cant select the weather. As a hot sunny day really does lower the edge frequency.

What i have done is set up the england eleven all with different stats but vary extreme differences.

So opener one may have 2 for all.

Whereas opener two may have 10 for bf/ff and 1 for rest.

Im hoping ill be able to analyse each batsmen to see how each play with their different set ups!

Users who are viewing this thread