New Zealand Domestic Season

Watling's had a great OD season. Yeah I don't like How's chances of returning to the Black Caps any time soon.

I've been watching all the games up at Cobham Oval in Whangarei, and I reckon Trent Boult being in the NZ squad is fair enough- he's looked sharp and accurate, giving batsmen like How and Ingram plenty to think about.

I was more impressed by another left armer though- Otago's Neil Wagner. Does anyone else know anything about him? He bowled an unplayable delivery to get Watling for a quacker, and basically got bounce, pace and life out of the pitch that no one had looked like getting for the rest of the game. He went past the bat so many times in his opening spell. And he clean bowled Jamie How for a golden duck yesterday. If he can qualify for New Zealand, we've got to look at developing him into an eventual spear head. He's only about 23 or 24, and he was much quicker than anyone (including Boult) on the day I saw him, for the naked eye anyway.
I'm obviously an NDer, and I'd love to think that seeing as we've had all our successes up here in Whangarei at the great Cobham Oval with top class facilities and support, the home final for us should be up here. My head says it will be at Seddon Park, though, but Cobham Oval is a great ground, many of my ND underage coaches say it's the best ND's got, better than Seddon Park. Our pavilion was based on the Lords Pavilion, with clock towers, and our changing rooms etc. are well looked after and have lots of photos of players, giving it a meaningful and spiritual feel. And, we have a manually operated scoreboard that I work in, and we are told that it's the best scoreboard in NZ for the amount of information that is displayed (Electronic ones don't have all the figures up there all the time) and how efficiently it is run.
We've certainly had almost all our wins here, because the players know the ground so well. The boundaries are pretty huge, so the scores of 250+ have only been reached by ND, because they know the value of 2s and 3s, and how hard to go/ not to go at the start. The pitch is good for batting, too, and I think it's time we got a game televised up here at the beautiful Cobham Oval.

Wagner's been amazing, shame we can't have him in the new zealand team...yet. Trent Boult in the squad should be interesting. Don't know about Diamanti though.

Should be an interesting last round big games for Central and Canterbury I might head down to Seddon park later if the game is good.

Shannan Stewart probably isn't far off being in black caps contention. He just BELTED 120 off 90 with 5 sixes. Corey Anderson hit 71 off 70 which is also good to see. Trent Boult continued his excellent form with 3-48. Shane Bond ripped the top of ND's batting apart. Flynn, H Marshall and M Parlane all out to him. 5 overs 3-13. Wish he could play for NZ so bad. He's back at his best for sure. HOpefully Ari ended up going down and watching him do so haha.

Broom got 77 off 81 for Otago which is great as he'll be going to Australia in top form. O'Brien and Patel were steady.

Bloody Sinclair got runs again 87*. That dude makes me so mad. WHY CAN'T HE PERFORM FOR NZ. Sigh. Martin and Mills had very average returns. Guptill's out early for 5 but McIntosh is still batting.

So mostly, good signs. The main internationals are putting in good performances.

Didn't end up going down but I wish I had of now. Bond at his best is one of my favorite cricketers to watch. Such a waste of talent :(

I am still surprised at why Franklin wasn't picked for Australia at first I thought he was injured but hes bowling again. He is batting very well just as well as any of our other guys and even if we only bowl him 4-5 overs during a match like Wellington have it would still be worth it. He will end up as a batting all rounder that is for sure.

You missed a close game too, with 2 quick hundreds scored. Shoulda gone ;)

McGlashan with runs again and Williamson also. Great to see. There's certainly some talented young guys around at the moment for batting.

Franklin 87* impressive. His bowling's not back to his best though. I guess that's why they didn't select him. He's a great hitter at the death though.

Diamanti got 4 wickets. Hmmmmm. That'd probably be his best haul. Being selected must have given him confidence. Wagner and Bond also got 4.

Good 100 from Williamson today, though I think he lost his way a bit at the end with that century in sight. Considering it's his first and that the top order collapsed we can look past it. Worker & Anderson also got another good 50 today as well.

Diamanti played quite well today with a 4fer and 20 odd, though it's hard to see how he's ahead of Franklin & Thompson, when Franklin has put in way better performances with the bat and is fairly experienced at the International level; Thompson though has been the standout New Zealand bowler in the domestics and is a better batsman than Diamanti as well. Boult also got some wickets today, and he's been getting 2-3 a match consistently which is brilliant.

Shanan Stewart is in the same posistion as Tim McIntosh a few years back IMO, he puts a few good performances together yet most of the season he get's out for low scores. He needs a good back half of the season and take that through the first half of the next season to get a spot in the Black Caps.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but even though we're ranked about 8th in the world, I reckon New Zealand domestic cricket is a higher quality than 8th best in the world? Just because players like Napier, Shreck, Mascarenhas, and Hamish Marshall don't seem to do any better in NZ than in county cricket...

LOL at Jamie How getting stumped off Daryl Tuffey (Pace bowler)

There's not really anything to Lol about. How was playing very solidly but a great piece of keeping from Hopkins(Standing up to Tuffey) got How when he tryed to sweep slog over midwicket and got stumped with his foot in the air.

Diamantai looked fantastic. far better in batting and bowling then Thompson. Great choice by the selectors.

I might be wrong, but even though we're ranked about 8th in the world, I reckon New Zealand domestic cricket is a higher quality than 8th best in the world? Just because players like Napier, Shreck, Mascarenhas, and Hamish Marshall don't seem to do any better in NZ than in county cricket...
Napier seems to be doing a lot better than in County Cricket this year, in both FC and OD cricket.

Good to see Worker, Anderson, and Williamson all make runs today. Looks as though we have some real classy players coming through. What about Brent Arnel, he has played for NZ A and he is bowling really well for ND. He gets it up there too, around 135-140?

Good performance from Williamson, he's got the making of something big, it's only a matter of time before he gets the call up for the black caps

Users who are viewing this thread