New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Well it was another poor performance by the New Zealand batsmen. Too many starts, but nobody converted it into a big 100. Aaron Redmond actually looked very good today, and I would like to see him play like that every innings. Except for Taylor and Flynn everyone threw there wicket away. I thought Hauritz bowled pretty well today, after the first three overs, he looked very good. Hopefully McCullum and Vettori and Southee can get us atleast another 100 runs, maybe even another 150 to get us to 400.

Advantage to Australia after day one.

There is no reason any proper first class team should go out on the Adelaide Oval and not have one batsman come back with a hundred in the first dig. If they fail to reach 300, you have to question more than just the players and Bracewell. The "plan" for Hauritz was as ill conceived as they come, it created risks out of innocuous conditions. Why they chose to continue the lofted shots through the middle overs, I guess we'll never know. The god of irony must have been watching when Hauritz rolled his ankle, because not only was it cruel to Australia, but NZ, who had spent 2 wickets trying to hit him out of the attack had suddenly been gifted what they sought.

So NZ 262/6 at end of 1st day's play,they would have liked if it would have been 4 wickets,still better than last 2 inngs,they would 1st like to get 300,then build up good score,while Aus would like to take 4 wickets,like they did in last match,they took all 4 wickets in 1 session,lets see...

Good to see McCullum's given up that Forearm guard he's been wearing since getting peppered by Jimmy Anderson. McCullum's one of the cooler cricketers in the world, his tattoo on his right arm is awesome for example, and he never looked as cool with a similar forearm guard to the one that Vettori wears. He used to wear the forearm guard under one of those tight under-shirt things as well, which hid his tattoo, looks far cooler now :p. Before you ask, Yes, cricket is a fashion show alright ;)

Australia in command, bowled pretty well after the first session where they weren't bowling brilliantly. Redmond batted beautifully, really deserved his ton. I was never convinced of his talent when he was in England, but I reckon he could do a good job if they stick with him and give him a chance to develop. He could certainly develop into a good ODi player if need be. Can't see New Zealand winning a game in Australia, they'd need Franklin and Oram for that, and probably Bond tbh. They do look a stronger side than they did in England though, having Ryder in ahead of James Marshall certainly makes the side look alot stronger.

Just hope McCullum and Vettori get going tommorow, with McCullum making a big score. Be fantastic entertainment if McCullum smacks 150, I'd bet that he won't make a ton though, he never does when I'm watching. His Test and ODi record really doesn't justify the talent that the lads got, same with Owais Shah's international record. I'd say McCullum's one of the best Keeper-Batsmen in the world right now, and one of the best ODi batsmen in the world as well. He just oozes class, I'd love to see him gain some real consistency and hit some big runs, he's only got 1 ODi hundred for example, and that was against Ireland. Only 2 Test Hundreds really doesn't do the guy justice either.

Haha, yeah, and McCullum was trying to get down the pitch too making the keeper come up. Will make it harder for Haddin to catch him. I don't see any reason why McCullum wouldn't make a hundred today. He's wel due, he's very gifted, conditions are great and he has Vettori to bat with and once he gets down to O'Brien and Martin he's the kind of guy you want batting with those guys because he'll try bet it all over the place.

McCullum should have just belted that. Only half played at it. Needs to play his natural game.

Good catch by Haddin he looks to be a lot more relaxed in this match. Pretty decent slower ball by Lee seem to fool McCullum.

That was a ripper by Johnson, as his domination over the tail continues.

Poor Start By NZ on day 2.

2 wickets for Australia in no time.

Have to say i'm a bit disappointed in the amount of short balls they bowled Vettori. It was beginning to border on unfair for me and if I was the umpire i'd start calling wides.

Nevertheless, bad morning for us. We can enjoy a few days out in the field. I can only see Vettori getting wickets.

All out for 270, thought Southee would stay around longer but that was a dam good short ball from Johnson.

Yeah, something Southee can work on. Sadly he didn't get any chances to smash a few more sixes. Woulda been easier if Hauritz or Clark were bowling.

That was certainly not what the Kiwis wanted when they came out to bat this morning. With Vettori and McCullum at the crease they must have thought about going past 300 but the two quickies bowled well in tandem and wrapped up the tail quickly. Australia have a great advantage having bowled Vettori out for a lowish score on a good Adeilade wicket.

Users who are viewing this thread