New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Ugh, Vettori very nearly bowled 60 overs. I know they have an all-rounder problem, but 3 pacemen isn't necessary on a pitch like this, especially not when you have a second spinner as useful as Patel.

I really think New Zealand erred by not picking Patel for this match, sure, they would still be losing after the way they batted, but at least Patel would have offered something with the ball.

I know Southee bowled well at the Gabba, but in the 2nd innings there his body language and bowling was very poor, he never looked like taking a wicket and he looked like he didn't think he was capable of taking a wicket either.

As for Vettori bowling relentlessly into the rough outside the right hander's leg stump from over the wicket, that is very negative bowling and you deserve to end up with no reward from 50 overs of that rubbish. What was he thinking? Bowling for a draw so New Zealand can retain 7th spot in the test rankings?

Last edited:
I definitely would have played Patel on this wicket. With our record against spinners and the flat nature of the pitch the extra spinner would have been handy.

Very nice start by the Kiwis, no swing for Lee but a lot of edges going for 4.

Yea Patel should of been playing probably Bracewell's idea not to play him. Watching our openers should be interesting they are both playing for there spots, recently there have been a lot of other openers getting big runs in domestic cricket over here.

What a sensational knock from Haddin. He was under fait bit of pressure and to come out and play like that is brilliant. That was almost Gilly like , no better way to prove his critics wrong.

Kiwis off to a good start. It will still be hard work tomorrow but its hard to see any result other than a victory to the Aussies.

Mr.Cricket added 15 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Symonds might have copped a bad decision today but he better start performing with the bat. In the sheild game against SA Watson took 7/69 (SA made over 400 so it must be a good pitch to bat) and followed it up with 81 of 83 balls. Dave Hussey is also knocking on the door........

Nice knock by Clarke!

I'm really annoyed about Flynn dropping such a simple chance of Haddin. That's cost us big time. Aside from Haddin (who was lucky on a number of occasions) Australia's batting will have to improve before facing Steyn,Morkel,etc they won't fare well.

Patel definitely should have played. Redmond should have been bowled more (I told you he'd get a wicket, in-fact he got two) Vettori bowled better than his figures suggest. He was economical but just didn't get any luck. Australia also played him pretty negatively as a whole which was their choice and fair enough (not saying that as a negative thing).

We're unbeaten at stumps which is good. We're still in with a chance at a draw. Flynn will need to make up 150 odd runs to make up for that sitter which cost us 100+ runs. I'll tell you that! If it was a hard chance I could forgive it.

Last edited:
Another day won by Australia after they suffered an early setback right at the start of the day. But since then it was Clarke and Haddin who took the centrestage with twin tons to set up a massive lead for the Australians. The Kiwis are in a spot of bother and they are facing a stern task to bat out time and knock those runs soon too. Another interesting day of cricket it will be tomorrow.

Big day for us tomorrow, we need to bat all day. Don't see why we can't, nothing wrong with the pitch. These guys need to make the most of these conditions. If we bat 4 sessions we should draw it. We almost did it first innings so it's possible. I'm not holding my breath though.

What a sensational knock from Haddin. He was under fait bit of pressure and to come out and play like that is brilliant. That was almost Gilly like , no better way to prove his critics wrong.

Symonds might have copped a bad decision today but he better start performing with the bat. In the sheild game against SA Watson took 7/69 (SA made over 400 so it must be a good pitch to bat) and followed it up with 81 of 83 balls. Dave Hussey is also knocking on the door........

Yeah I'm cheering for Haddin too. Finally he might get some props. People ready to write him off after a half dozen tests need a bit of patience. He's shown his class time and time again for NSW and while he rode his luck in this match, you can SEE he's a good player.

And yes that is huge from Watson. Could he win Symonds spot for Perth? Aussies would then keep Hauritz/Krejza in the XI for a decent spin option and Watson would be the 4th quick bowler. I think that is a good attack for Perth.

But would the selectors ever drop Symonds? Personally I think it may be the best thing for him. First: it gets him out of the national glare (which he hates) and second: it will make him actually earn his spot back in the team by making some runs.

Oh and count me as another wanting Mitch Johnson batting ahead of Brett Lee. He looks better technically and has more potential to improve.

Good to see Haddin finally getting some runs. Wouldn't get particularly carried away though, you've got to remember that Tim Ambrose made a hundred in harder conditions against basically the same strength attack if not stronger, with Martin, Mills, Gillespie, Oram and Vettori. If Haddin has a top series against the Saffa's then he'll have a future in the Test arena, if he struggles again, I can't see him achieving. Sounds like it was a decent innings last night though.

Also, wtf has happened to Michael Clarke? He's a gun now. He didn't have a great record in Test cricket after his first 3 seasons, but in these last 4 seasons he's been on fire. Averages almost 46 and that's improving as well. He could easily be averaging over 50 if he continues this form. He's class.

New Zealand trail by 230 runs with 10 wickets remaining and 2 days to go,Aus will definately atttack tommorow morning they will once again will try to get 2-3 wickets in 1st session(twice in series they have got 4 wickets in one session)...

M Clarke & Haddin played really well,superb inngs...Even Hussey played well because when he cam to at 2 early wickets had gone,Hussey is used to this kind of situation..He is the master...Aus will definately win here...

Also, wtf has happened to Michael Clarke? He's a gun now. He didn't have a great record in Test cricket after his first 3 seasons, but in these last 4 seasons he's been on fire. Averages almost 46 and that's improving as well. He could easily be averaging over 50 if he continues this form. He's class.

Yeah he's playing really well. I don't think there's been a massive change - he's just a maturing batsmen. He's 27 now and is just starting to to get towards the peak years for a batsman (I think 30-34 though is generally regarded as the peak). And I'd say the vice-captaincy has helped him. It means he feels important and that makes him bat more responsibly. Still has moments of rashness, but it's harder to tempt him into stupid shots. Watching Haddin bat yesterday reminded me a little of the way Clarke USED to bat, a shot a ball and not seeming to want to hang around for too long without any action.

Users who are viewing this thread