New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Watching the highlights of last nights play, and I'm not entirely convinced by Tim Southee. It was something I noticed against England, he doesn't seem to have the fitness or detirmination to back up day after day and really run in and bend his back. He was bowling at around 130-133 kph in his morning spell yesterday, which on a flat track is going to do nothing. There was no swing or seam movement, which made him look incredibly ordinary. If he's going to become a top talent he needs to be able to bowl at close to full pace day after day, and needs to have something other than Swing to rely on. He's got alot of potential, but I'm not entirely convinced by him atm.

He's 19! What do you expect? Obviously conceding 100 runs for no wicket isn't great, but in the long run it'll do him a lot of good in his career. No 19 year old the perfect bowler

Except for Ishant Sharma lol, Tim Southee has to find atleast 10kph more pace or I can't see him becoming that good.

Yeah I'm cheering for Haddin too. Finally he might get some props. People ready to write him off after a half dozen tests need a bit of patience. He's shown his class time and time again for NSW and while he rode his luck in this match, you can SEE he's a good player.

And yes that is huge from Watson. Could he win Symonds spot for Perth? Aussies would then keep Hauritz/Krejza in the XI for a decent spin option and Watson would be the 4th quick bowler. I think that is a good attack for Perth.

But would the selectors ever drop Symonds? Personally I think it may be the best thing for him. First: it gets him out of the national glare (which he hates) and second: it will make him actually earn his spot back in the team by making some runs.

Oh and count me as another wanting Mitch Johnson batting ahead of Brett Lee. He looks better technically and has more potential to improve.

Haddin has always seemed like a classy player to me and I was glad to see him notch up his hundred. Scored his century before his first 50 :eek:

Watson needs to play. Symonds dibbly-dobbly medium pacers will not suit the Perth track and a bloke like Watson who bent his back in India will get some joy from it. Currently Watson >>>>>> Symonds.

Whatever happened to batsmen (in Symonds case) scoring hundreds of runs (eg: Hussey, who was playing in the ODI team but wasn't in the Test team when we struggled in the 05' Ashes.) before getting a look-in. Jaques also Hodge spring to mind but Hodge got dropped after scoring 200 :eek:

I remember the statement the selectors made on why Symonds was re-selected. "We picked him on past performances". Performances where? Sure he averages 43 but 2 100's and 9 50's in 23 matches isn't good enough.

I'm undecided whether Lee should move below Johnson. Lee was just playing exagerrated defensive shots yesterday, which weren't pretty to watch.

---

New Zealand need to start strong this morning. Any more than loosing 2 wickets in this session and they are in heaps of trouble.

Redmond attack proving his down fall there. Should have got himself set before trying that shot out.

Not a good ball and not a good shot! Redmond goes on the second ball. Is this the day that Lee's rips through the top order? I hope so.

Good start to the morning.

Redmond gone,Lee strikes back,NZ in trouble...Aus on top here,they have got 2 wickets today so far and still there is time for lunch,they might get 1-2 wickets more..

Looks like Lee has learnt from Johnson on picking up cheap wickets :) 2nd one of this inns. Once again up to Taylor to save NZ.

Lee strikes back once again,that qas quick around 142k,3 wickets in 1st session,Aus will be happy,they would be thinkinhg to wrap uo today itself on 4th day...

Like i said earlier Aus will try to take 4 wickets in 1 session,which they have done twice so far in this series,but now they did it for 3rd time,Lee has picked up 4 (his figures so far: 4/39 in 10 overs!)wickets today,fantastic catch by Ponting,he is a good feilder...Aus is really after NZ,and looking for wickets...

Last edited:
Oh Haddin cost Lee a 5 fer, if he doesn't get it he won't be happy. Never was go to catch it though the way he went.

Fiiirreeeeeee. Lee is on fire. It will be interesting to see if NZ can put up a fight or will they be bundled out for a low score.

excellent ball by Johnson, good swing on that one.

Last edited:
Super catch by Ponting. Lee has bowled very well this morning (from the sounds of it, the cricket is on in the background :D). Johnson's ball to dismiss Flynn was a beauty as well.

Aus is targetting to end NZ inngs around tea,5 down in 1 session,just 2-3 middle order then tail remaining,Aus really has dominated series

Users who are viewing this thread