New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Australia win by an innings and 62 runs and sweep the series clean (2-0)
That was a fine effort from the Australians. They were under the hammer in India and to come back so strongly was really commendable. It was all Australia barring the toss in this game. They didn't allow New Zealand to score many in the first innings and themselves got past 500. When they bowled again, they choked the Kiwis and ensured a convincing win. It was a fine match for the Australians and this was something that they needed with the South African challenge coming up next.

So Aus winning the series 2-0,after the tough tour of India,they played well,NZ will hopefully play well in ODI's early next year..Now bigh series ahead,Aus-SA..

Good effort from the Aussies. It was men against boys out there but I am happy to see us get couple of wins after the Indian tour. All the bowlers looked in good form and most of the batsmen got runs under the belt. Theres still bit of improvement left but I think we are ready for South Africa. Kudos to Lee (5fer) , Clarke (MOTS) , Haddin (MOTM) , McCullum (very entertaining knock) and Martin (6 pairs - new world record). But Kiwi top order got some serious work to do.

Ps - well done to Hauritz. I think he exceeded most expectations , bowled with nice accuracy and drift. I expect Krejza to replace him next time we pick a spinner. There is a slight chance he might get a game if the selectors stick to their new 'horses for courses' policy and think he will be more suited in WACA because the fremantle doctor will help his drift. Its highly unlikely but its nice to know that we got a handy spinner waiting in the wings in case of an injury. He might get few ODI games though....

Last edited:
Yeah the kiwi top order made this so one-sided. They didn't kick on and bat sensibly in the first and thus they crumbled under the pressure in the 2nd. Usual. So the kiwis are 8th now?

No one expected this series to be anything but 2-0 so no real losses result wise. The thing which worries me is the fact that our batting is still a huge problem. I can only hope it improves with a new coach.

Aussies bowled well. Their bowling looks good (Hauritz will be dropped for Krejza hopefully), but batting may struggle against the SA attack.

Hauritz seemed a decent bowler but he's really not. Krejza is the one who destroyed the Indian's at home, hopefully they don't forget that and pick him. He's a much better bowler.

No one expected this series to be anything but 2-0 so no real losses result wise. The thing which worries me is the fact that our batting is still a huge problem. I can only hope it improves with a new coach.

Aussies bowled well. Their bowling looks good (Hauritz will be dropped for Krejza hopefully), but batting may struggle against the SA attack.

Hauritz seemed a decent bowler but he's really not. Krejza is the one who destroyed the Indian's at home, hopefully they don't forget that and pick him. He's a much better bowler.

Are you serious??

Do you watch cricket?

Are you serious??

Do you watch cricket?

Serious about what? Of course i'm serious. New Zealand ranked 8 (7th previously) vs ranked 1 Australia who we haven't beat in Australia in tests in decades. You expected New Zealand to win? With their most inexperienced side ever? That's hillarious.

Ignorant git. I watched this entire series.

Out of interest who's the new coach? The kiwis need a batting coach. Someone like Andy Flower or Viv Richards or any other reputable retired batters. Mccullum's controlled aggression was a big plus out of this series. Shows an extra dimension to his batting as opposed to just bashing the ball.

I think he misread something.

Ironic for NZ that McCullum struggled up the order, but was left stranded when back down again. I tend to think bowlers like Mills and Franklin are potentially part of NZ's best team, so it's probably a situation that can solve itself over time. Oram too, will be welcome. Definitely for NZ to be successful they need to have the backroom intensity that they had years ago when their tactics were so well thought out that they even forced Glenn McGrath to change the way he played.

Today's score from McCullum was also his highest against Australia.

The problem with the Kiwi batters seems more mental rather than skill. Redmond showed he can stick it with the best of them especially yesterday and on the 1st day and Taylor, Ryder and McCullum have also shown this. The problem is they keep throwing their wicket away.

Our problem is definitely mental. They lose patience and try hit the ball over cover like it's an ODI. And sometimes they just play far too negatively and end up with terrible strike-rates. Rarely do players play with the right balance. Redmond did it in his knock but then played a stupid shot with the field back. He was taking the bowlers on in safe and selective manner for the most part.

I think Ryder ad Taylor and McCullum of course are worth keeping. We need to find better guys then Redmond, How, Fulton and Flynn. ow looked decent today actually, he's got a problem edging the ball, needs to work on his offstump awareness and leaving.

Our problem is definitely mental. They lose patience and try hit the ball over cover like it's an ODI. And sometimes they just play far too negatively and end up with terrible strike-rates. Rarely do players play with the right balance. Redmond did it in his knock but then played a stupid shot with the field back. He was taking the bowlers on in safe and selective manner for the most part.

I think Ryder ad Taylor and McCullum of course are worth keeping. We need to find better guys then Redmond, How, Fulton and Flynn. ow looked decent today actually, he's got a problem edging the ball, needs to work on his offstump awareness and leaving.

but they don't lack talent, do they ?
mental aspect develops with time and experience. .that is all is about experience.
getting rid of them at this point won't help the team anyway. As the new players who will be filling their places would have same problems that is lack of experience or mentality.
or does your youth have extraordinary talent, but it would also of no use if he lacks experience. And to gain experience one needs - Matches for a long duration and Presence of Experienced players.

I like How and Flynn alot, I really liked what I saw from watching those 2 against England, Hows century in the ODi series in New Zealand was fantastic. The whole New Zealand team have immense talent, they've just got to be given the chance to gain experience, work on their skills and develop. Someone like Daniel Flynn will definitely be worth working with, he's got serious talent, and could easily become a solid Number 3 if given the chance.

I watched the highlights from the 3rd day, last night, and my point about Southee was proven again. Jesse Ryder was bowling consistently faster than Southee, I saw a Southee delivery that went under 130 kph, and it wasn't supposed to be a slower ball. If he's ever going to make it in the Test arena he needs to improve his fitness, as it's clearly lacking atm. Any Test bowler should be able to be able to bowl at full pace on the 3rd day of a Test Match ffs. I know he's only 19, but he must have played a fair amount of cricket, and should really be able to back up and bowl good, fast spells day in day out in Test cricket. He won't make it if he can't.

My point is proven by the stats, even though he's only played 6 Test matches my point is backed up by stats. In 4 First Innings bowling performances, he's bowled 84.1 overs, taking 9/277 at an average of 30.77. Then in the 2nd innings, he's bowled 40.2 overs, taking 1/146, at an average of 146, and at a higher economy rate than in the first innings. Strike rate of 242 in 2nd innings bowling also goes some way to prove my point. It may be VERY early in his Test career, but it's already 1 thing he needs to work on.

Was a shame to see New Zealand perform so badly in the 2nd innings, but good to see McCullum get some runs, he just needed some support from someone, the middle order performed pretty badly. They just couldn't match the stellar batting from Clarke and Haddin. Haddin's innings on day 3 was nothing short of fantastic, he took the attack to the Kiwi attack, and although he should have been out in the 70's when Flynn dropped a sitter, he cashed in perfectly and played one heck of an innings. I knew he had some talent, you don't average over 40 in Aussie Domestic cricket without having a great deal of talent, the Aussies will just hope this is a starting point and he builds from here, was one heck of an innings.

I agree with the end comment on the live scorecard:

I've said this before and will say it again - they will have to beg Scott Styris to come out of Test retirement.

Styris is a must for NZ since they've lost the experience and the experience has come into play with some of the batsmen giving their wickets away.

Users who are viewing this thread