New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

The top order definitely has to be strongest part of the unit and while it clearly isn't, it's not as though pulling randoms out of the State Championship is going to pay off, because you go back to zero each time. At least one of the long term top order players has to emerge out of this playing group.

On Southee, I felt inspired and compiled the innings breakdown for his entire first class career, admittedly no major task. Including Test innings, he has 47 wickets @ 26.34 in 1st team innings. In the second innings, his tally is 20 wickets, taken at 36.30. I have to agree he needs to find something extra, not simply in the second innings. He was always the one I would have dropped at Adelaide because Martin and O'Brien can hit the deck. When there's a whiff of danger, Southee will pitch the ball up and he'll be the best in the side on those days, but when it's not there, he's quite innocuous.

Styris is a must for NZ since they've lost the experience and the experience has come into play with some of the batsmen giving their wickets away.

He might come back with a new coach and after having some time out. The problem is is his form for Auckland isn't the best.

These guys aren't batting in partnerships. At least when Fleming was there you could see him talking to the players and trying to get a partnership going.

Totally agree with Martin Crowe. I've always said all these batting coaches, psychologists and that crap are tiring the players out mentally. They don't need anyone to teach them to bat because they get selected from domestic cricket to do it and they don't need people to tell them how to think because they all want to do their best as it is. All it does is cloud their heads and makes them have these brain explosions. They should be playing naturally.

Really proud of Haddin. That is definitely a Gilchrist like innings when I look at the scorecard. Clarke and Haddin having a big partnership (Gilly and Clarke have had 3 really big lower order ones [Where they both score tons] that I can remember from the top of my head) Good to see Ponting and Huss getting some good runs on the board. Real shame Haydos couldn't do anything special.

Feelin Blue? added 6 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Good to see Haddin finally getting some runs. Wouldn't get particularly carried away though, you've got to remember that Tim Ambrose made a hundred in harder conditions against basically the same strength attack if not stronger, with Martin, Mills, Gillespie, Oram and Vettori. If Haddin has a top series against the Saffa's then he'll have a future in the Test arena, if he struggles again, I can't see him achieving. Sounds like it was a decent innings last night though.

Also, wtf has happened to Michael Clarke? He's a gun now. He didn't have a great record in Test cricket after his first 3 seasons, but in these last 4 seasons he's been on fire. Averages almost 46 and that's improving as well. He could easily be averaging over 50 if he continues this form. He's class.

You are right in some ways, but it's more detailed then that. He used to be very unfit actually, but he worked on that and got the reward with his call up to the side where he got hundreds in his 2 debuts (main and home debut) and would usually keep a steady head and get a start but throw it away with a bad cut or cover drive etc. He sort of worked on that but lately I've noticed hes been doing it a lot, edging to the slips off wide ones etc. Hopefully he can work on that patience.

Adelaide is one of his favourite grounds too. He's scored hundreds in the last 3 tests we have played there (England, India and New Zealand.

What happened to Haddin today :eek: he has gone crazy :p

Nothing happened to him. He just found his groove he has had in domestic cricket for the past couple of years.

Adelaide is one of his favourite grounds too. He's scored hundreds in the last 3 tests we have played there (England, India and New Zealand.

And if I am correct he has only played 3 tests there. Or did he play against the West Indies when Brian Lara broke the Test run scoring record?

Also with the stats that Channel 9 provided (during commentary - might be different now), Ponting has scored 5 50's and 5 hundreds at Adelaide so he also likes playing there

My ODI squad:

Vettori, McCullum, Ryder, Guptill, Taylor, Elliot, Broom, Mills, Southee, Gillespie, Martin, Patel, Oram/Fulton (Depending on fitness)

Don't think Styris will be fit so not him. Flynn's had enough games and shown absolutely nothing. Can't afford to keep carrying a player in the side. Tests only please. Martin is the form bowler in domestic cricket aside from ineligible players. Franklin could be considered but I don't think he's bowling again yet and certainly not at 100%

Bill Lawry is such a big Oram fan. I'd hate for him to be injured and miss out.

Last edited:
Guptill is a good player, will like to see how he perform against us ;)

I really think we will win this series, if Oram plays. Our team just looks so much more balanced.

Team for 1st ODI

1.Ryder
2.McCullum
3.Guptill
4.Taylor
5.Broom
6.Oram
7.Elliot
8.Vettori
9.Mills
10.Southee
11.Martin

12.Mark G. He was pretty good in Aus a few years back.

The top six all strike at over 80.

I like that side. With Patel in over Martin when it suits of course. Gillespie came back well in the last WI ODI but i'm still not convinced with him. He bowls some good balls and ruins his over with some horrible ones. Martin had a bad day today against Wellington so maybe he's not in as good form as it appeared.

I think Gillespie is one of our better death bowlers he can get it full and straight and is decently quick he shouldn't be taking the new ball he just gets hit around to much at the start of an innings.

Now that we have finally sorted our top order out, it's now time to settle on a bowling line up. I think we should drop Gillespie he bowls too much rubbish, I would probably bring Martin back for it.

I think we should consider bringing a Corey Anderson or a Trent Boult over for the T20 game at the end of the tour to give them some international exposure.

Anderson must be injured because he hasn't been playing Shield Games for Canterbury. I like the look of Boult though. He's bowled well in all forms so far.

I think Gillespie is one of our better death bowlers he can get it full and straight and is decently quick he shouldn't be taking the new ball he just gets hit around to much at the start of an innings.

Sorry but disagree with this. Gillespie is far too wayward to be a good bowler at international level let alone death bowler. Sprays it everywhere and the bit of pace he's got is used to help the ball reach the boundary. I don't know why your selectors persist with him because I think you guys have far better options including Chris Martin.

Saw him during the CB series in 06/07 and didn't think much of him, he's consistently proven this.

Now that we have finally sorted our top order out, it's now time to settle on a bowling line up. I think we should drop Gillespie he bowls too much rubbish, I would probably bring Martin back for it.

I think we should consider bringing a Corey Anderson or a Trent Boult over for the T20 game at the end of the tour to give them some international exposure.

Trent Boult yes, but not Anderson. He hasn't made too many runs for Canterbury. What has happened to Anderson's bowling, he was capable of getting it up there at around 135-140kmph. He doesn't even bowl anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread