New Zealand in England

Marshall failed again in the warm-ups. That's enough time. My eleven:

Redmond
How
Fulton
Taylor
McCullum
Flynn
Oram/Patel (Depends if Oram is fully fit, i'd rest him if he was carrying injury)
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Martin

You wouldn't have Bell? He has done quite well in ODIs...*goes to look at stats*

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/9062.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

A poor winter, but a good 2007 season. Bell won't be dropped, though.

I know he won't be dropped, but I wouldn't have him in the side. It would be a toss up between him and Cook in my lineup, with Cook getting the nod as he can be a pretty decent one day player in my view.

You look at Pietersen, Collingwood and Shah and Bell isn't better than any of them in my view.

Redmond scores another hundred against a County/state attack. Seems he's the usual Kiwi opener, awesome in FC cricket, but cannot cope with a test attack. The same happened with Matthew Bell, who was superb in New Zealand state cricket but god awful in the test matches, and Matthew Sinclair, who surprisingly averaged close to 150 in state cricket last season with an unbeaten double ton in one of his 2 games. Seems that certain Kiwi players are the opposite to Michael Vaughan, who thrives on a test attack and struggles against a county attack. It just seems that quite a few New Zealanders can't cope with the improved bowling attacks and pressure of a test match.

I suppose but not all players were flying, and only a good innings by Strauss really saved them in the end. Oh, and the 6 wickets by Monty in the first innings

They really need to get a new picture of Ross Taylor on cricinfo. Preferably one where he doesn't look like he's on crack. LOL.

Anyway, he's nearing a hundred. No doubt he's in good nick.

In fact he is and also a good performance by Southee who impresses me more day by day.
Illogical thesis is continuing by England selectors not to change winning team though I don't want to change neither.
Still I would love to see High first inning total from England. Except Strauss nobody looks promising in Batting.
I can see tough fight from England in to upcoming series against Africa. Its all about momentum and hope England will make it to high by winning at Trent Bridge.

We haven't scored 400 in the first innings of a Test Match for 11 Tests apparently, which is pretty shocking. I would have made Collingwood have his operation now, personally. It isn't dropping him, but it does give a chance to other players for getting into the team.

Ya exactly that were my point to score high first innings total.
But I don't think it has much to do with Lower order. You at least need two hundreds from your top order to score high first inning total which was not happening.
Colly is touch character. You would love to have someone in the team who has ability to score with lower order and can break the partnership at any day.

Hopkins looked good yesterday in his 50, looked in tremendous nick.

Of the bowling, not much looked good, although the fact that the declaration made it a dead game didn't help, as well as the fact that it is Wantage Road. Southee looked by far the most dangerous bowler for the Kiwi's, Mason looked lively but gave way too much to leave.

Alright lets get this straight its about bloody time 2 meter peter got selected
he is and always was better than that try hard james marshall
everyone just wait and see how he goes today
he will absolutley kill it
hes a star
double hundred is on the cards
and also a victory for the kiwis

I suppose but not all players were flying, and only a good innings by Strauss really saved them in the end. Oh, and the 6 wickets by Monty in the first innings

Four had a Test and series so far they could and maybe should have been dropped for :

Broad - no wickets
Collingwood - no runs worth mentioning
Bell - not enough runs
Ambrose - no runs or even a score yet

Pietersen is borderline, his second innings may just have been enough, but England needed him first innings and he didn't come good. Fortunately Panesar and Strauss saved England from there. If England think they can win with seven players in future series they're in for a shock, with four bowlers you need all four taking wickets and you need 4-7 in the order making runs

Users who are viewing this thread