New Zealand in England

He has been bowling very well, but his fitness is the key. Saffers are still a long way away though. Can't see Anderson or Sidebottom being dropped. Broad is going to be a class player one day, not sure if his bowling is good enough atm.

I still can't fathom whether Colin is being serious or not!

I think he's being serious. As much as I love Anderson let's not delude ourselves, he was amazing today but he wasn't exactly up against the sternest of batting line-ups and the conditions were in his favour. Today we got the good Anderson, but tomorrow we could get the bad one and his 6/42 turns into 6/142. You just never know.

I've always said that Anderson is so inconsistent because he's in and out of the side due to injuries and him being dropped and stuff, but I believe that given his injury free run that he's on and the fact that this is his 6th or 7th Test match in a row we are beginning to see what's close to the best of him. I hope he can carry on in the same fashion tomorrow morning. Can't see him getting all 10, btu a nice 7 or 8-fer is on the cards to bring his average down.

And he's a way better batsman than Monty.

Oh well, this test is over. Good job giving Anderson runs and making him have fun with the bat. That helped him no doubt. Well done to him.

This game is all over. 3 pointless days now for England to win in, yawn. Bring on the ODIs.

Pretty funny how some of you morons still want Anderson dropped. Drop Broad. He's in the side as a bowler and can't bowl. He wouldn't make our bowling line up (though may make our batting one :/)

I told you all before the game began how weak this line up was. I can't believe the selectors went with it.

Dont blame Vettori. NZ are an average at best test side. Period.

England's real test will be against SA.

You really don't need to keep saying that. I'm quite aware we're a poor test side. Sadly, just when he start to look good for a year or so we lose players of the caliber of Bond, Astle, Fleming and have to rebuild again. It doesn't matter how good or bad our side is, Vettori wasn't leading well. Maybe it's the fact that i've watched us play under one of the best captains in the game for so long or something, but you open the day with the 2 guys who got you wickets. O'Brien was 4th change. FOURTH! He had 4-60. We were bowling to tail-enders and were giving them easy singles and leaving gaps in the slips.

England are playing to our level though. England won't beat South Africa. Mark my words.

Last edited:
I agree with those who say Anderson is not consistent enough. He obviously won't be dropped atm, but unless he ups his consistency levels he will be out eventually.

Broad shows obvious potential to me, to drop him now is only going to stifle that potential being realised (imo).

I'm being totally serious about Anderson. He is still too one-dimensional and, given a wicket where he has to work for his wickets will totally lose his line and length and haemorrhage runs. Frankly I don't think an early-season green-top against a poor batting line-up counts as proof he is of test quality.
Well done to him today but I still stick by my consistantly stated view that he shouldn't be in the team to start with.

As for Anderson give this bloke a proper run. Sure he took 6 against a "weak batting line up" but i havent seen Broad do anything spectacular with the ball.
Anderson can run through sides. I'm not convinced that broad can do the same. Also, Jones should come in for Broad against the saffas.

You guys have got to be kidding me. Broad will end up like Anderson in terms of conistency. This guy is talented, yes, but he needs time in county cricket. Michel Clarke rose brilliantly after being dropped for a year and a half. He had his taste, couldn't maintain the standards the Aussies wanted, dropped, improved in the domestic game and is now the nucleus of the Australian team. Broad and to an extent Bell should be given time in your domestic league.

Monty is inconsistent himself. You saw that in the last test match where in the first innings he did poorly but came back in the 2nd innings to win the game. Add to that the batting don't fire asa unit and you wonder why occassionally England can perform such abject and pathetic performances.

What are ****ing joke, we were bloody horrible, that was even worse then being bowled out for 114 last week. It all started off with us giving England runs in the morning, what the heck was Vettori doing. His field settings were hopeless, two guys out on the boundary at the beginning of the day with two tailenders batting. He doesn't even bowl O'Brien that much, I think he bowled about 4-5 over?s. Why did Vettori bowl him self yesterday and Martin, who I might add has been bowling very badly over there, he just isn't a wicket taker.

Now lets talk about the batting, the ball Anderson produced to get rid of Redmond was good but why was he trying to hit it to mid-wicket, play straight man you are a opener, not a nine. Then for some reason with the ball swinging all over the place McCullum comes out at three and goes out the same way as Redmond, this time though he was trying to hit very leg sideish. I love watching McCullum bat, but he isn't a Number three in test cricket. Taylor knuckled down and batted alright, he only made 21 but at least he wasn't playing a stupid shot when he went out. I have no Idea why Flynn played, everyone could tell from the three balls he faced that he was thinking of that bouncer in the 2nd test. Jamie How batted well, but again failed too go on, poking at another ball to get him self out. How looks like a great test batsmen, but he just always seem to get himself out. Oram looked all at sea again, he really has to work on poking out at the ball too, I wonder what all of NZ coaches are doing these days because they don't seem to be helping our batsmen.

All and all England will comfortably win this game, I really can't see New Zealand getting the required 60 odd runs to get past the follow on, when they bat again they would be lucky to even pass 200. What we need is a decent opening bowler, I'm so sick of Martin and Mills, they do an alright job but they are not TEST OPENERSI hope Southee is able to pick up pace as he gets older, He reminds me of Dale Steyn with his action, so lets hope NZ fans that he is able to reach his pace one day, or maybe New Zealand should just bring Shane Bond back

I would also like to comment on England, Anderson bowled well today but like most of you are saying he doesn't do it enough. The conditions today really suited his bowling and he used it well. I also agree with what most of you are saying about Stuart Broad to, his bowling his pretty ineffective, and he doesn't look very dangerous. Maybe he should play county cricket for a few seasons to get his speed up and maybe get some more variations, but this in turn may hurt is batting.

Hey, at least Anderson is getting wickets against this weak side. Broad is hardly getting any. Wait until he's facing a good side.

Sorry, but Anderson > Broad as a bowler by FAR! Maybe not in ODI's, but in tests, for sure.

Anderson should never be dropped, hes been the best bowler for us in the series, and his average of 19.43 with 16 wickets in 3 tests is awesome, and shows that he's not just a 1 innings marvel. He's been far and away our best bowler in this series, and any talk of dropping is completely stupid. Simon Jones is never ready to be brought back into test cricket, needs another full season in County Cricket without an injury. Broad's batting will keep him in the side I think, unless Freddie gets back to some batting and bowling form in the time before the SA series.

Damn...I actually wanted Anderson to get a 10-fer...

I'm being totally serious about Anderson. He is still too one-dimensional and, given a wicket where he has to work for his wickets will totally lose his line and length and haemorrhage runs. Frankly I don't think an early-season green-top against a poor batting line-up counts as proof he is of test quality.
Well done to him today but I still stick by my consistantly stated view that he shouldn't be in the team to start with.

Finally someone who see's it the way I do. He seems to go through patches, he'll play on 3 wickets that don't swing and have shockers and his position will be under threat. He'll then take 5 wickets in an innings where the batsmen throw away all their wickets and be safe for another few games. It gets on my nerves. He's like a slightly improved version of Saj Mahmood. Imagine taking him to Pakistan or India :eek:.

Users who are viewing this thread