New Zealand in England

I am listening to the English commentators, and it appears that there is nothing wrong the English batsmen do that is wrong or out of sort, I see KP plays an ass shot of Mills trying to pull, he ends up toe-ending the ball and they think it was a good shot in the end, for a single. Jesus Christ.
I saw what you are talking about, they didn't say it was a good shot, they said it was effective. It is right really, who cares about the shot if it scores runs.

I can already tell that Wright isn't opening material (at least yet). It seems he usually plays in the middle order. I'm not a fan of selecting players to do new roles they hardly ever have done.

But he has done it before, he did it all of last season for Sussex in OD cricket iirc. He also does it permanently in Twenty20 cricket, and if you're good enough to open in Twenty20 you're good enough to do it at ODi level I think. Bell proved this today.

England really need to up the run rate, 220 isn't anywhere near enough for England, so we need to get around 250-260, and Pietersen needs to stick around and hit some more shots like that one, great pull off Mason. I love seeing him on form, and KP seems to have rediscovered that form, and putting him at 3 is definitely the position he needs to develop his game, and get that ODi average back up towards 50. He was averaging over 50 in both forms of the game until recent times, and he still averages 49.55 in Tests and 48.18 in ODi's, so an unbeaten ton would really boost that average today.

Styris is on now, so we need to go after him and up the run rate, need to really go at 10 an over from here on in, get another 100 from here and we're incredibly sorted, not going to be easy for a makeshift NZ batting order to chase 280+, especially if we get McCullum and Taylor early. If McCullum fails then I can't see NZ winning.

WHAT A SHOT !!! Pietersen is such a hero. Reverse sweeping a medium pacer for six is amazing, what a stroke. Not many other players can do that, what a stroke. Just sit back and admire Scotty.

I saw what you are talking about, they didn't say it was a good shot, they said it was effective. It is right really, who cares about the shot if it scores runs.

Oh please what do I expect from you guys, he is your Golden Boy. I like the shot he just played as well, there seems to be some issue with it according to Holding at their last MCC meeting. I do hope he keeps playing it till they get down here so someone can rearrange his teeth.

Wright should go back to first class cricket and develop. Without improvement he is nowhere near good enough to be opening and realistically should not be in the team.

No-one claimed that shot was a great shot, the commentators said it was effective, as it got four. They'd have said the same if it was Jamie How who played the shot. It wasn't a good shot, but it got runs, so the commentators rightly claimed it was effective. It doesn't matter where it goes as long as you get four for it.

Another great shot from KP, he hits the ball with such power, almost impossible for the fielder to stop. Just hope he goes on to make a hundred. Can't get over the reverse sweep though, brilliant stroke, be ludicrous to ban it, players have been playing it for generations, and just because people have suddenly started to hit it for six it's up for banning. They'll ban players coming down the pitch soon aswell. :rolleyes:

No-one claimed that shot was a great shot, the commentators said it was effective, as it got four. They'd have said the same if it was Jamie How who played the shot. It wasn't a good shot, but it got runs, so the commentators rightly claimed it was effective. It doesn't matter where it goes as long as you get four for it.

Another great shot from KP, he hits the ball with such power, almost impossible for the fielder to stop. Just hope he goes on to make a hundred. Can't get over the reverse sweep though, brilliant stroke, be ludicrous to ban it, players have been playing it for generations, and just because people have suddenly started to hit it for six it's up for banning. They'll ban players coming down the pitch soon aswell. :rolleyes:

I guess not. But I am thinking if a player can bowl 10 overs right, and then bowl another 10 left, should he be allowed to bowl?? Its just a thought.

Yes, why wouldn't he be ? Bowlers are allowed to bowl off-spin, leg-spin and medium pace in a spell then they should be allowed. Another reverse smack from Pietersen, another six, brilliant hitting from him, showing why he should have been at 3 for a long time. What an innings, one of the best i've seen on English soil since i've gained an interest in cricket.

Colly's gone. Great innings and a fantastic partnership. Just hope Shah can come in and smack a few, the runs are vital at this stage, we need to keep piling the runs on for the whole of the innings. Would love to see us get to 280-300.

Great reverse shots by Pietersen, though I have to agree with Holding, he's batting as a left hander and that's not very fair. I hope they fix the rules with it.

I'm concerned because luck isn't going our way. Pietersen hit 2 balls in the air in a row and they went in no mans land. Edges down the ground, sixes just clearing men on boundary. Without Oram this could go either way.

England are weak from Shah downwards. We needed Pietersen with those high balls he hit. In this series, we just need a few early wickets and it'll be sweet.

EDIT: For the above post, the bowler has to tell the umpires and the batsmen have to be told when the bowler changes the delivery type. Holding made a great point, if Batsmen can bat lefthanded, why can't bowlers start bowling from their other hand or switching to around the wicket mid-way through. The batsman should know where the ball is coming from so they can change guard and the bowler should be able to know whether the batter is facing it left or right handed so they know where to put the ball.

It's a batsmens game. Give the bowlers something ffs.

Last edited:
They'll probably end up banning batsmen from changing the positioning of their hands to play a reverse shot.

Truth is, I don't think it would be so terrible if there was a batsman able to take guard on either leg. Batsmen change their stances to new bowlers and bowlers coming around the wicket, plus plenty of them have trigger movements that mean the stance is different from the actual position of the batsman at delivery. Is that also unfair?

What is Styris purpose on this team, I mean they guy have not performed in for NZ for some time, with either bat or ball, when Eng. was in NZ, he was piece-poor in the IPL and with ball thus far a waste. I mean I can recall when he was up to it and good at it, but now he plays like a dead horse that need to be taken out behind the barn and put out of its misery.

WestIndian added 3 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

They'll probably end up banning batsmen from changing the positioning of their hands to play a reverse shot.

Truth is, I don't think it would be so terrible if there was a batsman able to take guard on either leg. Batsmen change their stances to new bowlers and bowlers coming around the wicket, plus plenty of them have trigger movements that mean the stance is different from the actual position of the batsman at delivery. Is that also unfair?

Are you listening to anything that was said by Holding and Smith?? Its not the shot, as would be the case with reverse sweep. He is changing the grip, his bottom hand is no longer his right hand, when he does it, his left hand becomes his bottom hand. Look at the damn thing and listen.

Great knock from KP. Absolutely superb. Brilliant hitting.

Right - 88 (1 six, 7 fours)
Left - 12 (2 sixes

Statistics don't justify how good Kevin Pietersen.

I don't care if his career ended today, I'd still consider him one of the very best batsman ever.

Fantastic hundred from Pietersen, started slowly but has upped his game and played his full category of shots, fantastic sixes and some lovely boundaries. He's been well supported by Collingwood and now Shah, and has played beautifully. One of the best players in the world at the moment, there is no better extrovert player in the world. There are better players in terms of basic technique, but he's the best in the world at taking the attack to the bowlers, plays spin brilliantly and is fantastic against spin. What a player.

Some great shots from Shah, that six was a beauty. Shah should possibly be in above Bopara I think. He's a great player and I think he's been badly treated by England.

Also, regarding Wright, if his time at the top fails, how about Vikram Solanki ? He's the right handed Brian Lara, has a large backswing and plays some lovely shots. He's another that's been badly treated by the England coaches in the past, and I feel deserves a go in the England team. How would other England fans feel about him being called up ?

Solanki is 31 right? Shouldn't they be looking for younger players but yeah if his numbers have been good for county cricket thumbs up to solanki. I would put Shah as number 4. Bopara 6. My god Marshall is still there...

Are you listening to anything that was said by Holding and Smith?? Its not the shot, as would be the case with reverse sweep. He is changing the grip, his bottom hand is no longer his right hand, when he does it, his left hand becomes his bottom hand. Look at the damn thing and listen.
Well no, not really listening all that much to be honest, but I am well aware of the situation. I think if they are going to meet on it, they will probably ban players from changing their grip to play reverse shots like that. That's just what the MCC does. They ban things. The entire history of cricket is shaped by crafty people being innovative and the MCC telling them to bugger off.

The reverse sweep itself won't be banned as it can be played with crossed arms.

I personally just don't really have a problem with players using the bat as they see fit. A change of hands, after all, has to be premeditated. I consider that a risk. The insurance Pietersen has is that he only plays it against dobbly medium pacers, never particularly good bowlers. He won't get banged in the ribs like he did against McGrath.

Users who are viewing this thread