New Zealand in England

I'm not convinced about Bopara. I know this guy has all the talent in the world but I've only seen him perform in that 46 odd against SL in the WC last year.

43* in a match winning partnership with Stuart Broad

But yeh, that's about it, other than that 52 in the SL game. He definitely has the talent, but just needs to back himself, and at 4 he should definitely have decent time in the middle at 4. To be fair to the lad, he's not exactly had much time in the middle, normally batting at 6 or lower and asked to either slog at the end or rebuild and win us the game. Give him time, he'll come good.

You're right, Irrotev. You obliterated us.

I retracted the statement after he was ruled out. Sadly we have a 4 million population and no depth to cater for loss of such players. I think any side in the world would be hard pressed finding a replacement for such a player let alone us. I also didn't realize he went into the game with 4 bowlers.

Pretty disgraceful performance. The last 5 overs of death bowling was disgusting and let England get far too many runs. We need Oram back. We effectively lost 2 players, a bowler and batsman.

I still know we're a better side when full strength, no matter how many of these we manage to lose. James Marshall can go jump off a cliff. He's useless just like his brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get pissed with me just because you make incredibly extravagant claims but your beloved New Zealand can't back them up. Tjis is what happens when you grossly underestimate another team so I can't help but laugh in your face.

As for Oram, are you that much of a one man team? For a team that is second in the world and so much better than England, you should have a couple more performers shouldn't you? For all we know, NZ could come backand thrash us 4-1 but this is what you get for being so arrogant,

114 runs? Now, that's a bit of a thrashing, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bopara just needs to have the confidence to play his natural game. As someone else said, he should get time in the middle at number 4 and he just needs to do what he does for Essex. Too many players seem to change their game when they get in the International side. If his batting can fire he makes us a much better all around team as well, especially in the field. I can't remember the last time we had so many decent fielders in the side.

Don't get pissed with me just because you make incredibly extravagant claims but your beloved New Zealand can't back them up. Tjis is what happens when you grossly underestimate another team so I can't help but laugh in your face.

It's only one game. Don't piss your panties just yet. Oram should be back for the last games. We played badly. I was just doing the old 5-0 thing in light of what McGrath used to do. As said earlier I think it'll be a closer series now.

We're not a one man team, McCullum and Vettori are world class as well and Mills is usually right up there on rankings, didn't show up today though. Taylor also. The problem is the weak links like Marshall who get us into a hole by batting so slowly and being so bad.

This isn't the same team which got us to 3rd in rankings. That was a long time ago with players like Bond, Astle, Fleming just to throw a few names around.

And whilst I was saying all that stuff, I was really only saying it to get back at you turds for the test series where you were saying the same crap. I never really meant it.

How about this for NZ in the next game:
Flynn/Any batter
How
Mcculum
Taylor
Styris
Hopkins
Vettori
Southee
Mills
Patel
Gillespie

Flynn opening is an interesting idea. However he hasn't batted there before. I'm not a fan of players being batted out of position. I like McCullum and How opening (though ideally we'd have Ryder and McCullum with How at 3 which I think is solid).

My side:

McCullum
How
Taylor
Styris
Flynn
Hopkins
Vettori
Mills
Patel
Gillespie
Mason

Ok. 5 bowlers is better for the balance. We lacked pace and death bowling, so bring in Gillespie for a chance since he's a decent death bowler and has decent pace, even if he's a little bit inaccurate. We have to play Patel. England arn't great against spin. He deserves the spot. Southee did ok, but i'd rather Mason who looked a lot better and had no luck in the game with inside edges down to the boundary etc. Batting is weak down the order, but Marshall won't strengthen it any more anyway with the form he's in.

Last edited:
It's only one game. Don't piss your panties just yet. Oram should be back for the last games. We played badly. I was just doing the old 5-0 thing in light of what McGrath used to do. As said earlier I think it'll be a closer series now.

We're not a one man team, McCullum and Vettori are world class as well and Mills is usually right up there on rankings, didn't show up today though. Taylor also. The problem is the weak links like Marshall who get us into a hole by batting so slowly and being so bad.

This isn't the same team which got us to 3rd in rankings. That was a long time ago with players like Bond, Astle, Fleming just to throw a few names around.

And whilst I was saying all that stuff, I was really only saying it to get back at you turds for the test series where you were saying the same crap. I never really meant it.

I actually wouldnt be too suprised if NZ actually did win 5-0, because England cant seem to get into the groove of ODIs. The Batsmen, who are extremely talented, seem to let the team down too often.

But KP's innings was brilliant to watch, especially the way he built the innings, and I hope England are beginning to understand this form of the game better. But no doubt NZ are the better side.

When KP shows up and plays like that England can beat any side. He's just a great player. We need to get him early. It's like England with McCullum. Chances are if McCullum gets a hundred it'll be all over, so England need him early. You make a good point and it's kinda what i've been basing my thoughts on. While it seems maybe arrogant, we should win. If you look at the sides on paper, we have more world class performers and a higher ranking. With Oram out, as i've been saying, it evens thing out a bit and the teams come closer together.

I actually thought we restricted England well up until the death bowling where things went badly. Was a bit poor to have Southee bowling at the death instead of Mason who is more experienced. I'd at least let Southee play without having to do it for a few games while he can settle.

Mcculum is a too important player so i'm more inclined to bring him at 3. He's NZ best batsman. So like KP he should be at 3. I love How. I really do but he isn't flamboyant enough for openning. He's more your number 3 or 4. But he'll do. His partner could be Flynn cause he is solid but your not gonna get a rampaging start. The alternative is to bring a swash buckling tail ender like Mills. He can get you your quick 20-30 and then comes in Mcculum with a platform to play on and all the less pressure. NZ don't have many conventional options but what they do have is unconvential options- and lots of it.

When KP shows up and plays like that England can beat any side. He's just a great player. We need to get him early. It's like England with McCullum. Chances are if McCullum gets a hundred it'll be all over, so England need him early. You make a good point and it's kinda what i've been basing my thoughts on. While it seems maybe arrogant, we should win. If you look at the sides on paper, we have more world class performers and a higher ranking. With Oram out, as i've been saying, it evens thing out a bit and the teams come closer together.

No you don't. We have far, far more world class talent through the entirity of our team. If you compare the teams:

England: Bell, Wright, Pietersen, Bopara, Collingwood, Shah, Ambrose, Swann, Broad, Sidebottom and Anderson

New Zealand: How, McCullum, Marshall, Taylor, Styris, Flynn, Hopkins, Vettori, Southee, Mills, Mason.

England outnumber your World Class players by 7 to 5, with 7 to 6 with Oram in. You may be better than us in terms of world ranking, but that world ranking is built on the back of a decent team with the likes of Fleming, Cairns, Astle, Bond, etc. They're not there anymore, and the players that have replaced them are nothing players. Marshall is awful, Styris is passed it (used to be quality, but I don't rate him highly anymore), Flynn is still learning, Hopkins is nothing special, Southee has potential, and Mason isn't going to keep any international bating line-ups awake at night.

I also included Mills in the world class players list, as you included him, personally I think he's awful. Doesn't bowl particularly fast, action looks awkward, is wayward at times, bowls no balls, isn't a great death bowler. He's over-rated for my money.

England's extra players that i haven't included as "world-class" are far better than yours aswell, Wright's bowling is better than Styris's, Ambrose and Hopkins are fairly even, Swann's a quality spinner and batsman, Bopara has fantastic potential (200* in a recent OD game). The rest of the team are world class performers, albeit Anderson is abit inconsistent. There's no doubting that an attack of Anderson, Broad and Sidebottom is far better than Southee, Mason and Mills.

You've severely under-rated England. On paper we're a much stronger team, but we're just finding our feet in ODi's, and still learning with a new coach. I can see us winning this series 3-2, probably getting a 2 or 3 nil lead from the start, then when Oram comes back you'll improve, although 1 player won't massively improve upon that last performance, you have been awful in both the Twenty20 and first ODi.

Sorry dude. I'd only call 2 players in your side world class in the ODI format and that's Pietersen and Collingwood. We have Vettori, McCullum, Oram and maybe Taylor though it's early days. Mills is in the top 10 ranked bowlers in ODI cricket. He's not terrible.

We obviously have different ideas of what world class is. Even so, Shah? You're kidding? Anderson is horrible in ODI cricket. Broad is far too new to call world class.

Users who are viewing this thread