New Zealand in England

Of course we can blame the umpires. Sod the law book. All they needed was a bit of common sense. 6 balls is all we needed. Six balls! The time they spent fannying around with that boundary replay prior to the over could have been spent bowling the frigging over. Cricket's a real nob sometimes.

Common sense is all well and good, Matt. But if the rules overpower, how do you expect it to be used?

Umpires are doing their job, they made their call. They weren't trying to get a no result, they used their knowledge. What if Stuart Broad tore open a knee like Simon Jones, due to the weather?

Then unlucky for him, that's sport for you. If it was safe enough for 5 overs prior to it then it was safe enough for one more.

Then unlucky for him, that's sport for you. If it was safe enough for 5 overs prior to it then it was safe enough for one more.

I'd rather have NZ being unlucky with the result than some player getting injured. NZ were lucky the umpires pulled the game till the 19th over in the first place.

England still lead 1-0. Period.

Absolutely. Look at the Lord's Test last year, robbed on the last day by the umpire and the weather. We were due some luck. Everything that was happening on the pitch was going the Kiwis' way. Let's hope the weather is better on Saturday. Although it doesn't look like it.

Better not rain im going to that game!

I'm also pretty dissapointed with England for going against the spirit of the game slowing the over-rate. 13 overs in an hour is disgusting. Collingwood should honestly get fined his entire match fee (and maybe a few match bans) for that. We could have got thosew overs in if they wern't so scared of losing. I'm not surprised though. And the ICC lets people get away with it, so why not?

Some changes need to be made, i'll tell you that.

I'm also pretty dissapointed with England for going against the spirit of the game slowing the over-rate. 13 overs in an hour is disgusting. Collingwood should honestly get fined his entire match fee (and maybe a few match bans) for that. We could have got thosew overs in if they wern't so scared of losing. I'm not surprised though. And the ICC lets people get away with it, so why not?

And England was using Swann, Wright, and Collingwood. What a joke, I am so ticked at the moment. New Zealand did have abit of luck when batting though, Taylor, and How. What the heck was Taylor doing, that reminded me of him back last year trying to hit everything onside:mad:

How did Elliot bowl? How did he get his three wickets I fell asleep during the England Innings.

13 overs per hour is slow, but only by about one or two. The context just makes it seem much slower, where it obviously could have made a crucial difference. A regular 200 minute innings running over by 10 minutes is scarcely cause for battle stations. The length of the interval in a rain affected game and also the curious delay before the NZ innings are of greater interest.

TV isn't good for judging rain, but I'm sure they didn't just flee at the first sign of drizzle, they gave the match as much time as they thought they could. To be fair to the bowlers, preventing a 7 run final over is far from implausible, but doing it with a wet ball is pretty close.

I had thought over rates to be much better now than, say, five years ago, but I agree that the penalties need to be looked at.

Lets not get all high and mighty. Vettori has said he's disappointed, but they'd have probably done the same thing.

It was an absolute farce though, why the 30 minute interval, couldn't common sense come into play, at the end of the day, its getting a result thats important.

How did Elliot bowl? How did he get his three wickets I fell asleep during the England Innings.
Benefited from the match conditions, but bowled smartly and backed his lengths. Beat Wright twice, which triggered a brain freeze on the third ball, immediately before players were sent in from rain. Shah was having a red hot go, but all over the place and trapped himself in front on the hoick to a slower ball. Gave Collingwood width and he slashed over backward point, gave him width again and he slapped it to a very good catch at deep cover.

Could you imagine if it happened to India or Pakistan?

They'd be calling for the umpires to be sacked and saying that the ICC are racist.

Thank god it's New Zealand.

I'm calling for it lol.

I know. NZ probably would have done the same thing. The ICC needs to stop it really. It's poor. And to that comment where 13 an hour was only 1 or 2 overs short. It was 1 over off being a match. In that context, that's a big amount of time.

I'm calling for it lol.

I know. NZ probably would have done the same thing. The ICC needs to stop it really. It's poor. And to that comment where 13 an hour was only 1 or 2 overs short. It was 1 over off being a match. In that context, that's a big amount of time.

Imo the ICC has far more important issues to consider. Like I said NZ were lucky in the first place that it came down to that last over. Some umpires would have gone off much before.

England innings started at 1458. Stopped for rain at 1501 after 13 overs. The final 11 overs took New Zealand 66 minutes, even slower than England. New Zealand bowled at below 13 overs an hour. A match fee fine and ban for Vettori?

At the end of the day, the conditions were unsafe, that's the first time for a while where I couldn't actually see the ball on the TV screen. Normally the TV camera's manage to make the conditions seem better than they actually are, but if I couldn't make out the ball on TV it must have been dangerous. Then heavier rain came down, and the umpires followed the rules, the conditions were dangerous, they had every right to take the players off. As for the 30 minute interval, it's ICC Law that the break has to be 30minutes minimum, nothing the umpires can do about that. There were no guarentee's that NZ were going to win, the players weren't informed that they needed 8 to win the match on DL, so there's no guarentees that they would have won, so England could feel as incensed as NZ, we had as good a chance as you to win, restricting NZ to 6 off that final over would have been definitely possible.

Users who are viewing this thread