New Zealand in England

well the lions are batting at a rate of 1.66! and martin now has fiqures of 8-5-6-1! not the most exciting of matches so far i think

End of 1st days play:

280 all out

Wright 120
Carberry 41
Hoggard 28

Martin 3-58, Southee 3-80 and Oram 3-34

This is the rose bowl, so you expect that there will be something in it for the bowlers. Very good knock by Wright, off of only 131 balls too. Not much else to write home about, except of course that Hoggard scored 28, and off of 38 balls!

The squad is announced on Sunday for England, could Wright make a test debut? Fred can't bat in the top 7, let alone top 6 and I think it would be a risk to have a 4-man attack consisting of someone who has yet to prove his match fitness. I am biassed, but I'd be very tempted to play Wright vs New Zealand in the 1st test match.

Last edited:
The squad is announced on Sunday for England, could Wright make a test debut? Fred can't bat in the top 7, let alone top 6 and I think it would be a risk to have a 4-man attack consisting of someone who has yet to prove his match fitness. I am biassed, but I'd be very tempted to play Wright vs New Zealand in the 1st test match.

No chance. We don't want another Bopara. Also, who will he play instead of? He can't be considered a mainstream test match bowler, so that means you would have to drop one of Cook, Vaughan, Strauss, Pietersen, Bell or Collingwood. I know you would probably say Strauss, but you can't drop him after he made 177 in his last innings.

Good day for both teams though L Wright was shocker to me.
Again He has performed and again He would be failure when He would get chance.:p

I have not seen Matrin's bowling but I'll see highlights.
3 wickets looks good to me with Southee.
I think NZ might go with these two over Mills for 1st test.

Good to see that NZ bowlers have already adjusted to English condition where Bowling has been always a Pleasure.
Waiting for English team for 1st test,Don't want to discuss it as lots of people still asking Strauss to get dropped and thats insane.

Flintoff shouldn't play in the entire NZ series. The selectors need to learn from past mistakes; don't rush the big man back. We're capable of beating New Zealand without him. As long as we've got Sidebottom the world's one big fat oyster. What a legend.

Good to see some form for Southee and especially Martin, i'm sticking with my original selection. (Which happens to be the same 11 with Mason in for O'Brien. and Vettori in for Patel if fit)

No chance. We don't want another Bopara. Also, who will he play instead of? He can't be considered a mainstream test match bowler, so that means you would have to drop one of Cook, Vaughan, Strauss, Pietersen, Bell or Collingwood. I know you would probably say Strauss, but you can't drop him after he made 177 in his last innings.

Strauss will average under 25 vs South Africa this summer, can quote me on that. We've been over this 10 million times before though.

It'd be a perfect time for Wright I think.

Mmmm not too pretty with the bat. At least Redmond and McCullum got some runs. It was a decent bowling attack for a practice game. Hopefully it does the batters a lot of good.

Carberry cracks another century, would love to see him in International cricket, soon.

Gonna be tough to break Cook/Strauss/Vaughan. I'd happily open him with Cook and Vaughan at 3. Although, I expect Vaughan to retire from International cricket after the next Ashes.

Strauss will average under 25 vs South Africa this summer, can quote me on that. We've been over this 10 million times before though.

It'd be a perfect time for Wright I think.

I did sir,:D.
If he would then I will eat my words without salt.
You can quote me that He will average more than 40 against South Africa. ;)

Squad announced, no real surprises considering Flintoff's injury:

MP Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt), AN Cook (Essex), AJ Strauss (Middlesex), KP Pietersen (Hampshire), IR Bell (Warwickshire), PD Collingwood (Durham), TR Ambrose (Warwickshire, wkt), SCJ Broad (Nottinghamshire), RJ Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), MS Panesar (Northamptonshire), JM Anderson (Lancashire), MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire).

My team for the first test would be as follows:
Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Ambrose
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar

Keep with the side that did so well at the end of the NZ series. Hoggard may be on decent form in the CC, but Anderson is performing as well, a 9 wicket haul in the last Championship game. Strauss should go back to opening aswell, although he has been batting at 3 for Middlesex.

Users who are viewing this thread