New Zealand in England

I think that's a good idea, keeping the side together, after all they did win and it should be quite settled. All 11 know what they're up against.

NZ-wise, O'Brien hasn't bowled at all second innings, he may be injured which may or may not be a blessing in disguise. Anyway, not looking too great thus far. (just read that it's a sore calf and he may still be ok.)

Last edited:
I'd rather have Hoggard than Anderson. Anderson is just too inconsistent for a test bowler, god knows what the Saffers would do to him later in the summer.

Edit: 3 top order batsmen for Rashid.

Last edited:
I would go for Hoggard any day and specially if that would be first match of the series then.
After all who can swing the ball better than Hoggard in English Condition?

Hoggard is much more better as night watchman in batting also.(Though this is a ridiculous Excuse). :p

He's better but he's still awful, he's the worst Night Watchman i've ever seen, apart from maybe Rp Singh, who saw the night watchman job as a promotion up the batting order lol. I like Jimmy Anderson, and i think we should stick with him in the team, he's been in fantastic form for Lancs, and his 9fer in the last CC game should seal his position for my money.

You don't change a winning team and Anderson was part of the team that won our first overseas tour in 3 years. So go chew on them apples.

I'd have Hoggard over Anderson any day to be honest. While Anderson was part of the winning team, I think it was harsh to drop Hoggy when they did. He's been England's most reliable bowler for donkeys years now and with him and Sidebottom leading our attack we can have the sort of tight and consistent pace attack we've struggled with a little recently.

Anderson's like the girl with the curl - when he's good, he's very very good, and when he's bad he's awful. He has potential but he's not a test bowler yet.

You don't change a winning team and Anderson was part of the team that won our first overseas tour in 3 years. So go chew on them apples.

You do change a winning team. Last season in the Premiership Liverpool were criticised for their (perceived) unneccessary rotation policy but Manchester United made only one less change and won the league. Anyway my point is that you have to play the right people for that match and the conditions you will face.

Hoggard over Anderson any day of the week for me.

As pretty much everyone else has said, Anderson blows hot and cold so keeping him in the team to maintain stability is as pointless as offering me a can of coke when I have a beer in my hand!

FF, how long has everyone been saying Anderson has potential though? Yes he can be devastating but he can also be absolute pants. Time to drop him and move on I say. Batsmen wouldn't get his amount of chances and wicket-keepers certainly don't!

5 years in and out of the team, and we still talk about his 'potential'. It's not good enough.

Ah stop being gay the lot of you, he's been in better form than Hoggard so far this season and that's what you pick people on.

Far better?

LVCC Averages as of today

Anderson 56.5 overs 15 maidens 142 runs 11 wickets
Hoggard 60.5 overs 12 maidens 189 runs 10 wickets

Better yes, but only 60 overs (ish) of bowling each against different opposition. Can you really say he's been far better based on those stats? Especially if you bear in mind Yorkshire have played 2 games whereas Lancs have played 3.

Last edited:
As I said, the stats are better across the board, but can you compare them based on the small number of matches, played in different circumstances, against different teams on different wickets?

How can you say one has been better than the other? They've both done pretty well. But then we know Anderson can do pretty well, its just he doesn't far too often - especially at international level.

Add in Hoggies 3-45 against the New Zealanders at the Rose Bowl and the stats get murkier.

Last edited:
It has to be Hoggard. He's been our most consistent bowler for years, while Anderson is one of the biggest liabilities in test cricket. Sure he can be good, but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread