New Zealand in England

I just realised, this was another match won by Strauss of Doom. That was his 8th century in an England win and his first innings 60 was his 8th half century contribution to an England win. With 4 hundreds and 2 fifties in England draws, that means he seldom even turns up when England lose. He is a talisman.

Sure, O'Brien looked pretty good. But really, he bowled a heap of overs and only had 4 wickets in the match to show for it. I'd be tempted to keep him in and just bring in Mason. Mason is a good bowler, he seems to be the one who has to be 12th man all the time. I dunno when he last bowled in Tests, but it may have been when he destroyed Sri Lanka at Christchurch. I was there and saw it.

And fess up, who were the ones saying to drop Strauss?

Based on how he bowled in NZ I'd have Jeetan Patel in but I guess playing the 3rd test at Trent Bridge rather than the Oval makes than unlikely.

I think Redmond needs to go, he is just not of Test quality. I don't know who could replace him though, if only that fat idiot wasn't such an idiot.

Jesse Ryder is a fool... at least Simon Jones has a proper excuse. Ryder is out for the ODIs as well.

I'm impressed by How though. He reminded me of Strauss when he first entered the international arena. I know its been said a million times but how the hell did NZ lose. The day i missed the action (i need sleep people) the game turned its head.

Talk this morning in NZ that Brendon McCullum could be opening the last test match. Good idea and it keeps him away from Monty, once he gets in Monty shouldn't trouble him as much.

1.Jamie How
2.Brendon McCullum
3.James Marshall
4.Ross Taylor
5.Daniel Flynn
6.Garath Hopkins (WK)
7.Jacob Oram
8.Daniel Vettori
9.Tim Southee
10.Michael Mason
11.Chris Martin

Good team

I think Redmond needs to go, he is just not of Test quality. I don't know who could replace him though, if only that fat idiot wasn't such an idiot.

Then he would just be fat, and you may aswell have Matty Walker playing for you.

Sure, O'Brien looked pretty good. But really, he bowled a heap of overs and only had 4 wickets in the match to show for it. I'd be tempted to keep him in and just bring in Mason. Mason is a good bowler, he seems to be the one who has to be 12th man all the time. I dunno when he last bowled in Tests, but it may have been when he destroyed Sri Lanka at Christchurch. I was there and saw it.

And fess up, who were the ones saying to drop Strauss?

I have to say I was one of them that never wanted Strauss back but he looks a lot better player.

Talk this morning in NZ that Brendon McCullum could be opening the last test match. Good idea and it keeps him away from Monty, once he gets in Monty shouldn't trouble him as much.

1.Jamie How
2.Brendon McCullum
3.James Marshall
4.Ross Taylor
5.Daniel Flynn
6.Garath Hopkins (WK)
7.Jacob Oram
8.Daniel Vettori
9.Tim Southee
10.Michael Mason
11.Chris Martin

Good team

Drop Kyle Mills? He got you some valuable runs and is a under used bowler. I also don't understand why you wouldn't have McCullum keeping he's a good keeper, I would let him open and keep him as a keeper. The only team who can play a keeper and not let him keep has to be Sri Lanka becuase Sangakarra is such a good batsmen!

I'd rather McCullum kept wicket and not open too. He may get us off to a great start, sure, but he may give away an early wicket.

Mills bowled something like 15.3 overs in the last game. It was a disgrace. If they arn't going to bowl him, they may as well swap him otherwise give him a decent crack.

He was pretty outstandingly uninspiring when he did bowl though.

I don't see the point in opening with McCullum, he may be worth a punt at number 3 though as he's the most likely player in the NZ lineup to take the game to the English bowlers.

How did you get to that ? McCullum only averages 25 at 6 in Test cricket. He's been arguably the best One Day opener this year, and has the potential to really take the attack to England and their new ball bowlers and get NZ off to a cracking start. I love watching McCullum bat, he's probably my 2nd favourite player in the world at the moment, so if I get to see him bat for longer at the opening position then i'd support it. New Zealand have nothing to lose, they have to win the final test, so having abit of oomph from McCullum at 2 would be a good idea I think. They might aswell give it a go.

Great to see Strauss do so well when only 5 months ago it seemed that his career was down the toilet. I would like to see Mark Ramprakash given a go, I know he is old but he is in the prime of his cricketing life at the moment and I think he should replace Paul Collingwood, who seems to not be able to hold a bat the right way atm.

Not a long term change of course, but I think it would be interesting as an experiment

Great to see Strauss do so well when only 5 months ago it seemed that his career was down the toilet. I would like to see Mark Ramprakash given a go, I know he is old but he is in the prime of his cricketing life at the moment and I think he should replace Paul Collingwood, who seems to not be able to hold a bat the right way atm.

Not a long term change of course, but I think it would be interesting as an experiment

Well, Ramps is playing well for Surrey in the latter years of his career and seems to be enjoying it, so best leave him there.

Collingwood must be stuck with. He's been brilliant for England over the past year or so. I'm sure with time in the middle he should rediscover his form sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread