New Zealand in England

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hope Strauss or Cook do come into the side in place of Collingwood, as it should result in Wright being moved down to 7 and also moves Ambrose up one which will help him in my opinion.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I was just reading the earlier posts before and after the first game, and how England were going to wipe the floor with us.

Got a quote? or even a link?

And whoever gave me a nameless rep, I must commend you on your big, brass balls.

Sureshot

Executive member
In ODI cricket, yes he is.

On current form he isn't. You probably haven't seen him play lately.

MUFC1987 said:
I hope Strauss or Cook do come into the side in place of Collingwood, as it should result in Wright being moved down to 7 and also moves Ambrose up one which will help him in my opinion.

I agree, if he fails again, I can't see him being the in the side to face the proteas.

International Coach
mills and elliot are doubtful starters which will be a huge blow to the kiwis.

jimmymycrushie

School Cricketer
Flintoff isn't good enough to bat at 6. Bopara in for Mascarehas, put Ravi in at 6 and Flintoff at 8. I like that side, though.
Yeah, it's debatable. I'm also thinking about Andrew Strauss who showed great form in the test series. Atleast, he can be in the side when Paul Collingwood isn't playing. He's banned for four games : Final ODI vs Nz at Lords, only ODI vs Scotland, only Twenty-20 vs Soth Africa & 1st ODI vs South Africa.

jimmymycrushie added 20 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Actually I do agree with that team, there's no real weakness, I'd like Wright in but he needs to go back to county cricket and really learn his game and England should try and encourage Sussex to allow him to open in OD cricket if that's the role they wish him to take in the side. Wright's definitely a good prospect for the future though, good in the field, useful with the ball and a powerful hitter. If he could gain consistency with the bat he'd be immense.
I'd still like to keep Wright in the team for the series against South Africa. But I wouldn't want him to open. He batted well in County cricket opening the batting but he plays well down the order for England. He is also a useful bowler & I think his bowling has improved since he joined England. He bowled well in the tied game at Napier as well as in the 4th ODI. He's England's last over speciaist!
Cook is a good batsman but England have better options in one-dayers. Ambrose & Cook are more suitable for tests. They don't fit in the One-day team.

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
mills and elliot are doubtful starters which will be a huge blow to the kiwis.

Yeah really worrying. I'm sure there's more chance of them playing then they won't since it's the last game for a few months. We really can't afford to lose Kyle Mills. Losing any top10 ranked bowler is going to be a blow to any side. (Infact I just looked, 4th in the world, third if you don't include Bond)

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I have to say, Mills is awesome. I didn't really rate him before this tour but he's a very good bowler and a quality batsman for a number 8/9. New Zealand have some great bowlers, Vettori, Mills, Oram and Southee. They just need to get the batting sorted, I still feel that they are pretty dependant on Taylor and McCullum, and Oram to some extent. Going to be a very tough game for New Zealand if Mills and "Mr 3rd Man" Elliot. Hope Vettori and McCullum get injured in practise before the game as well :p

irottev

School Cricketer
Ok batting first. Not our stronger suit, but i'm feeling optimistic that we can put a big score on. The good thing about this, is if McCullum/Taylor fire, without any scoreboard pressure, it should be easier, England will have a tough chase on their hands. We have a great bowling attack so defending a decent total should be easy. McCullum/Taylor must be due to fire. McCullum's maiden century can't be far off. He's far too talented to not get it soon.

karnog

International Cricketer
If they fire and Pietersen fires it'll make interesting viewing. What a come back though. I take back the statement that Vettori doesn't cut it as a captain.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Our bowlers have started like New Zealand's. Dropped catches, wide filled... dear oh dear...

irottev

School Cricketer
How do you drop a catch like that with gloves on? I think we'll see Mustard back next series for England.

Ari

International Cricketer
Thats two important catches hes put down now and with his lack of runs they must bring back Mustard for the SA ODI's

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
So that's 2 fairly easy dropped catches in 2 games for Tim Ambrose, he'll need a heck of alot of runs today for the selectors to consider keeping him in the side. Told ya Mustard should have been picked ;). Ambrose is a muppet, if How gets a hundred on his head be it. Need to get him out now really.

Pretty poor start from England, and especially Anderson. I understand he's trying to mix up the deliveries, but those inswingers have been very wide. Come on England, we need to win this game ffs. Hope Pietersen has a cracker, would love it if he performed well, he'd then almost assure himself of the captaincy when Collingwood and Vaughan retire.

Users who are viewing this thread