New Zealand Tour of India, November 2010/11

Two players made their mark in this game. Yusuf definitely needs to back this up once more in the near future at least, maybe not a 100 but a quickfire 50 at least.S

Yusuf Pathan has been doing plenty of performances lately.

Recently he hit almost a double century (check out the strikerate): Group B: Haryana v Baroda at Rohtak, Nov 10-12, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

In another match he took 5 wickets in each innings: Group B: Baroda v Uttar Pradesh at Vadodara, Nov 17-20, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The only problem for him is that he doesn't bat that high in the Indian batting order. He can only perform for India when wickets has fallen quickly, so only then he gets a chance to bat. And in these kind of situations all the pressure is on him then.

If India wants to exploit, they should let him bat higher.

LMAO. I clicked cricinfo just randomly and...Yusuf is back!! :cheers

Checked the highlights and holy crap at that six out of the stadium. I really can't wait for WC with Raina and Yusuf in our middle-low order.

Params7 added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

I feel for the Kiwis though..I mean first Bangladesh now this.

Australia and NZ need to get their cricket together.

I haven't really been a Franklin fan, remember before these two matches he'd played 75 ODI's without scoring a 50, and he had been tried all over the order.

Good on him though for getting it together, and hopefully he can do this for us in the Pakistam tour, and then in the World Cup.

I'd say Franklin and Oram are competing for different positions in the order, these days Franklin's a batting AR, while Oram's a bowling AR. Everyone who dislikes Oram dislikes him for his batting, but remember he's been one of the most economical ODI bowlers over the last five or so years.

Assuming Oram's fit, hopefully they play Oram/Vettori at 7/8, and not 6/7, then there should be room for Franklin as well.

I felt he should be given another chance. Most of those ODIs he'd been batting at 8 or lower so it's not too surprising that he'd such a bad record. But he scored two centuries in the pro40 tournament and on the basis of this I felt he should be tried again :)

If we had a world cup team of:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
Oram
Vettori
Mills
McCullum
Southee/McKay/Tuffey

with the 4 others in the squad being the two to miss out of those pace bowlers, Elliott and Williamson, we'd do alright I think.

I think this should be our batting order in the WC

Sehwag
Sachin
Gambhir
Kohli/Yuvraj
Raina
Yusuf
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Praveen
Sreesanth/Ishant

If need be, push Yusuf as high as possible. I want both Kohli and Yuvraj, but we cannot absolutely keep Raina out (his fielding, his batting and his useful bowling together are just too too valuable). I guess Yuvraj will win that place due to his added and improved bowling skills. We can switch between Sreesanth and Ishant depending on whose in better form. Just not confident about Nehra or Munaf AT ALL. If its a spinning track, play Ojha in place of Sreesanth/Ishant.

Last edited:
Wow, just wow, such a great batting display form Yusuf and great bowling too. Dominated the match, If he would back it up with some 50s or something, he's sure for WC then.

Zak and Bhajji should bowl in the death, they do a decent job at it. Finish Nehra's overs within the first 40, and PK's within the first 30.

PK was pretty good in the death overs last time I saw him play though.

Bhajji ? He is not even bowling well of late in during the normal or non-death overs.

Yusuf Pathan has been doing plenty of performances lately.

His domestic performances have always been great. And not to forget,the current NZ side is not really that great.

Wow, just wow, such a great batting display form Yusuf and great bowling too. Dominated the match, If he would back it up with some 50s or something, he's sure for WC then.

Wait for the RSA series. If he can make his mark out there, then he will be a certainty in the WC team, not as of now

He's leaking easy single and not a wicket-taking threat, but he's not bowling rubbish. He's done very well in ODI's recently, definitely our first choice spinner in that format. And he does so well in T20s where the batsmen try to hit him out of the attack. Should be essentially the same in the final overs of an ODI.

Finally Y.Pathan played up to his potential :) and P.Patel very impressive with bat in a come back and Yuvi and R.Sharma showing some form :cheers happy BTW Indian bowling needs a lot of improvement :noway

He's leaking easy single and not a wicket-taking threat, but he's not bowling rubbish. He's done very well in ODI's recently, definitely our first choice spinner in that format. And he does so well in T20s where the batsmen try to hit him out of the attack. Should be essentially the same in the final overs of an ODI.

Given that he is our only choice spinner, we have no option. But he needs to do more than what he is doing currently. If Bhajji strikes a purple patch, I don't think there is any stopping us form the Cup.

I would not rate india's chances highly in the world cup. Early this year, a full strength indian team was beaten by a second string Australian team in India. In my opinion India is not a great oneday side and heavily reliant on Tendulkar in batting and Zaheer in bowling.

You do realize Tendulkar last played in ODI's in Feb and we have done pretty well without him in ODI's. If our batting side without Tendulkar isn't good, it isn't bad either.

I would not rate india's chances highly in the world cup. Early this year, a full strength indian team was beaten by a second string Australian team in India. In my opinion India is not a great oneday side and heavily reliant on Tendulkar in batting and Zaheer in bowling.

Do you know what you are saying is absolutely rubbish

India is a good side. But it is not the dominant side. England, SA, Lanka, australia are all good sides and have as much chance as india has to win the world cup. Sachin and Zaheer are the most dependable players in the indian team.

India is a good side but not dominant.. They have just won the Asia Cup,An unbeaten home season, won VB or CB series in Australia..

They are just good but not that good :rolleyes

Also what you are saying is right that any big threat to India is Srilanka.

Users who are viewing this thread