New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe Oct-Nov 2011/12

Meth going well this game. Run of form from him since his injury. :D

So Guptill & McCullum are batting :rolleyes ....somebody please get these 2 out quickly....:mad as they are not allowing other NZ batsmen a chance to bat in this series :D

For all the romanticized thoughts of Zimbabwe's return to test cricket this year, they must now be feeling how exactly it feels to be in the heat of the battle in an international match. While Brendan Taylor doing a yeoman's job in taking the bulk of the load, much like Dan Vettori used to do for the Kiwis, their fielding has been real dampener earlier against PAK and now against NZ.They can take a leaf out of the book of the Kiwis, who have always been brilliant on the field in all forms of the game, against all teams all around the world. They have always been exceptional in the fielding department compensating for lack of performance from batting and bowling line-ups when up against a higher-ranked international side.
When your bowlers can't just take any wickets against top teams, fielders got to support them with ground-fielding and by taking catches. With good fielders around, you suddenly have 15-20 runs more to play with and you can always put oppositions batsmen under pressure. What you can't achieve with batting and bowling, you got to make it up with fielding. Otherwise international cricket, ruthless as it is, gives you a real hiding.

Required Run rate is still 5.50 and its going to be interesting is in this Batting Powerplay Zimbabwe get a wicket or so and stop the trend of 1 wicket per match :p

Why these Kiwis remain harsh with minnows all the time. As we saw in the CWC also, they usually sink the low rated oppostitions with huge margins! and here they are doing the same :D

Why these Kiwis remain harsh with minnows all the time. As we saw in the CWC also, they usually sink the low rated oppostitions with huge margins! and here they are doing the same :D

Not the same:D they allowed Zimbabwe to get to 259...you call that harsh? :rolleyes and they are taking more than 47 overs to get to the target....you call this huge margin? :rolleyes

:p :p :p

No, they usually get the job done with almost 9 or 8 wickets in tank as we saw in the previous ODI and in the T20 series. In this particular match, they were 200 for 1. Isn't it harsh? :p

Gosh what's Brendan Taylor on?? (And don't say Meth...:p) Give the man some support and Zimbabwe won't be too far away.

I watched the later part of Zimbabwe's innings, and tbh we bowled ????. In the last ten overs I only remember seeing one yorker from Aldridge, the likes of Bracewell and Oram have no idea at the death. We would have been taken for 80+ in the last 10 overs against a decent opposition.

Taylor was way too selfish at the end. Yes he deserved a century, but if he had started slogging from maybe the 45 over mark Zimbabwe could have posted another 15 or so runs and really made a game out of it. Every ball he faced in the 45 - 49 over mark he just dabbed it away for a single, and then in the last 2 balls of the 49th over he was still trying to work it around. And when he tried to smash it in the last over he scored a couple of boundaries. I just looked it up, and it took him 15 balls to go from 90 - 100 in that last five overs, and his innings S/R was over a run a ball.

Guptill and McCullum seemed to have batted well, but the lack of match practice from our middle order seemed to show.

Yeah Taylor did seem pretty selfish to me as well in the last game, I guess you can't really blame him but if he had a go earlier on zim might have got another 20-30 runs.

We've won every game but I really don't think we have gained anything tbh. Still we persist with these absolutely bizarre selections. Where the heck was Ryder, N McCullum and Mills?? If they are being rested, WHY? Theres no way Guptill and B.McCullum should have been playing in that case, they've had a bat in every game. Also wtf was Watling doing in at 6?, thats almost but not quite as bad as the How at 7 in the WC experiment. He should've been opening with Nicol or Ryder. McCullum and Guptill can take a hike, its not all about them. And yes as usual the death bowling is absolutely horrible, easily would've gone for 100 in the last 10 against a better team. God I miss Vettori :(

We've won every game but I really don't think we have gained anything tbh. Still we persist with these absolutely bizarre selections. Where the heck was Ryder, N McCullum and Mills?? If they are being rested, WHY?

Apparently Ryder and Mills had little niggling injuries, I have no ****en idea why though after six months off. I think they just dropped/rested McCullum because the pitch was meant to be favorable to the pace bowlers.

Theres no way Guptill and B.McCullum should have been playing in that case, they've had a bat in every game. Also wtf was Watling doing in at 6?, thats almost but not quite as bad as the How at 7 in the WC experiment. He should've been opening with Nicol or Ryder. McCullum and Guptill can take a hike, its not all about them.

I agree with you to some extent, like I have no idea why you would pick Watling at six. In doing so they're saying he's the best number six in the country, which he's far from. Guptill has to open though, because he can't play proper spin. Yes he seems to have done alright against Zim's spinners, so I guess that doesn't really matter this tour. I'd like to see them try McCullum at six again though, because Williamson and Watling at five and six is just a no deal in terms of one day cricket.

I think we're now just missing someone in that Styris mold though, who could anchor a chase if we lost a few early wickets. Like we seem to have the opposite problem in test cricket where we have no top three batsmen, while in one day cricket we only have top three batsmen (with Taylor being the exception). I guess Franklin's the most Styris like batsmen we have, but he's just too inconsistent to do a job in the top six.

Yeah I agree on McCullum, would be good to see him down in that number 6 position because in the late overs we are going to be awful with guys like Williamson and Watling poking around for singles. We definitely are missing someone like a Styris, I don't know what it is with Franklin but he really irritates me. His bowling is pathetic and to get out like he did with 5 to win was pretty disgraceful.

I'll be pretty peeved if they still play Guptill and McCullum in this next game, Taylor, Ryder etc. need a good bat desperately. I'd also like to see us bat first despite the surface. Nothing against Aldridge but we really could do without him. Should have tried him when he was in his prime (2005-06?) at 33 he just doesn't offer anything at all, and is the kind of guy who will go for 80-90 odd vs a decent team.

----------

Also if they rested N.Mccullum because of the pitch thats an absolute joke. Its zimbabwe the pitch should be irrelevant, its about match practice and we should also be looking to bat first at every chance we get.

Users who are viewing this thread