Post your questions about the game here!

They never updated the gameplay files from first iteration to last

I.e. used same pacing files for AI, same config files for AI/human. The core gameplay was the same throughout the years (and was pretty basic/poor at best) with the occasional gloss thrown in with each new iteration.

Only plus side was modding the games got easier as years went by as same files used.

Who made Brian Lara Cricket 99 again?

Would cream my creams to see another cricket game made based on it - spruce up the graphics, update the players, make some minor changes to gameplay - bang.

Edit: Oh, and keep the commentary

Fifa has over double that.

FIFA has their 'ultimate team', which is one of the most genius (and terrible) money spinners I've ever seen. The funny part is that a similar system would be amazing for DBC if it were licensed (as having the real players is the key), as one of the big parts of the IPL is the auction. Essentially, having such a system and having a "Big Ant Premier League" could be the not just a potential money spinner for Big Ant, but as it would need to be connected to the network for it to work, it would act as a great piece of DRM (as the pirates wouldn't be able to play it), while serving a purpose to the game. With the academy features people could design, create and play online with their own badges and such, basically allowing for a very customisation team (though there are always dangers with that online).

Not a lot of love for EA is there?! Not that they deserve it. Fifa 15 is the same game as Fifa 14, I'm sure of it!

I'd love EA to make another cricket game.

FIFA 15 is quite frankly amazing. A very different game, though if you've never played much FIFA it might be hard to notice. The changes to the player AI allows for a more natural game experience for one (particularly the goalkeepers), and the presentation of the game overall has improved out of sight, and it was already pretty damn amazing. The goal actually reacts to the ball, the players scuff up the pitch, changes to the match HUD (licensed PL score overlays and such), player reactions and such (can get a bit comical at times).

The big problem with a well made sports game is that the games should be getting more and more subtle each year, and they either need to keep working on a huge list of "new features" or have held back a warchest of them a lot of the time to prevent people from questioning it being "the same game".

Oh, ok fair enough. Just that I saw attention to detail with things like sweat in Ashes 09 and IC 10 - didn't think it would be beyond developers these days with current technology

I also remember attention to detail like being hugely mediocre, terrible balanced games that they gave up support for the moment they hit market.

In all fairness to them, you could patch AC09 if you bought the PC version, and it was damn near playable at that point.

Big Ant have done magnificently with this game, and it is the best cricket game I've played by a long way. They have focused on the key aspects and have been going about things the right way.

Last edited:
FIFA has their 'ultimate team', which is one of the most genius (and terrible) money spinners I've ever seen. The funny part is that a similar system would be amazing for DBC if it were licensed (as having the real players is the key), as one of the big parts of the IPL is the auction. Essentially, having such a system and having a "Big Ant Premier League" could be the not just a potential money spinner for Big Ant, but as it would need to be connected to the network for it to work, it would act as a great piece of DRM (as the pirates wouldn't be able to play it), while serving a purpose to the game. With the academy features people could design, create and play online with their own badges and such, basically allowing for a very customisation team (though there are always dangers with that online).

FIFA 15 is quite frankly amazing. A very different game, though if you've never played much FIFA it might be hard to notice. The changes to the player AI allows for a more natural game experience for one (particularly the goalkeepers), and the presentation of the game overall has improved out of sight, and it was already pretty damn amazing. The goal actually reacts to the ball, the players scuff up the pitch, changes to the match HUD (licensed PL score overlays and such), player reactions and such (can get a bit comical at times).

The big problem with a well made sports game is that the games should be getting more and more subtle each year, and they either need to keep working on a huge list of "new features" or have held back a warchest of them a lot of the time to prevent people from questioning it being "the same game".

I also remember attention to detail like being hugely mediocre, terrible balanced games that they gave up support for the moment they hit market.

In all fairness to them, you could patch AC09 if you bought the PC version, and it was damn near playable at that point.

Big Ant have done magnificently with this game, and it is the best cricket game I've played by a long way. They have focused on the key aspects and have been going about things the right way.

Don't know what planet you're on buddy, but FIFA 15's "emotional intelligence" with the AI is laughable. And the goalkeepers in particular are the worse at making shocking mistakes and decisions. I had a keeper come up to the box on a corner when my team was 4-0 up, for example! The game feels more scripted, non-respondent and out of the players hands than ever before. Its just an absolute polished turd of a game. Its easy for the gullible masses to be fooled and sucked in by the bright lights and specky presentation...

Don't know what planet you're on buddy, but FIFA 15's "emotional intelligence" with the AI is laughable. And the goalkeepers in particular are the worse at making shocking mistakes and decisions. I had a keeper come up to the box on a corner when my team was 4-0 up, for example! The game feels more scripted and out of the players hands than ever before. Its just an absolute polished turd of a game.

Keepers come up to the box based on how attacking you set the team, did you happen to set it to "all out attack"?

The point seems to have been to make the game more realistic. The keepers are now actually more plausible than before. They are weaker close in and stronger from mid range. They are no longer invisible coming for the ball, which is a huge bonus, and actually have the potential to make a mistake. There is the odd bizarre moment, but overall it's much better.

What feels taken out of your hands?

If you don't like it though, there's PES 2015 coming out in November, and whilst it's still not my cup of tea (I miss the PES 5 days still), it's certainly looking like their most solid title in years.

Other than the licences they would bring, I wouldn't love it!
Agreed, I'm remembering EA Cricket 05 at the moment... and trying really hard to stop myself from hurling.[DOUBLEPOST=1412231424][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who made Brian Lara Cricket 99 again?

Would cream my creams to see another cricket game made based on it - spruce up the graphics, update the players, make some minor changes to gameplay - bang.

Edit: Oh, and keep the commentary
That would be CodeMasters.

Personally, I think a lot (and I mean A LOT) of the EA bashing is way overdone.

I've been a fan of FIFA for a long time now, having played since a young tacker. I had a huge break from FIFA between 2001 and re-picked it up in 2009. Haven't looked back since and FIFA 15 is quite easily the best FIFA yet.

As much as people want to overlook what they do and what they may or may not add each year. They really do a wonderful job of innovating to a brand that has been going for 20+ years and there's always plenty to learn from their games that can help us with developing and expanding ideas and really rounding out what a game should feel like.

Obviously we at BigAnt don't have the same budgets or man power behind our games, but it's definitely my hope, that our games can be considered up there with the best from EA, 2K and even older titles from guys like Codemasters (SWC '99 was undoubtedly my favourite cricket game before DBC came along) and even Midway with their fantastic NFL Blitz series. I'd like to think we're doing pretty well in comparison. :)

I've been a fan of FIFA for a long time now, having played since a young tacker. I had a huge break from FIFA between 2001 and re-picked it up in 2009. Haven't looked back since and FIFA 15 is quite easily the best FIFA yet.

As much as people want to overlook what they do and what they may or may not add each year. They really do a wonderful job of innovating to a brand that has been going for 20+ years and there's always plenty to learn from their games that can help us with developing and expanding ideas and really rounding out what a game should feel like.

Obviously we at BigAnt don't have the same budgets or man power behind our games, but it's definitely my hope, that our games can be considered up there with the best from EA, 2K and even older titles from guys like Codemasters (SWC '99 was undoubtedly my favourite cricket game before DBC came along) and even Midway with their fantastic NFL Blitz series. I'd like to think we're doing pretty well in comparison. :)
Yeah I think comparing the game with EA at the start of release of the game itself confirms that the expectation is high on this franchise and expect that much standard from you guys....But comparison is all fine but I think BA is a different thinking franchise as regards to changes and innovation with the kind of budget you guys have, so for me its not the next EA its the first BA for sports games....Just awesome...:thumbs

I've also been addicted to FIFA 15 lately, and think EA have done a very decent job on it this time around, although I hate the microtransactions in that you can pay to win in Ultimate Team, buying an advantage over people who have already paid full price for the game.

It is a highly accomplished game technically - the variety and quality of the animations, the inverse kinematics that mean the feet/hands connect with the ball convincingly 99% of the time (even close-up/slo-mo in replays), the player collision physics (can be OTT at times but is dynamic and unscripted), the ball physics/deflections... Whatever you think of EA or FIFA, they do plenty of things very well in that game.

Throughout the PS2 generation though, their games were awful and tended to just be the same recycled crap year on year.

I mainly bash the EA Sports side for making Cricket 05 near impossible to play AND enjoy. The NFL, FIFA, etc games are normally exceedingly well done (even though I haven't bought FIFA since 11). When it comes to cricket games Codemasters definitely had it right with BLIC/SWIC 99, and that was my favorite cricket game since Jonty Rhodes Cricket, and now it's DBC all the way.

Throughout the PS2 generation though, their games were awful and tended to just be the same recycled crap year on year.

The golden age of PES.

Fun fact though, the last FIFA released for the PS2 was FIFA 14... let that sink in.

How do you determine line and length while bowling spin? The way I understood is this...

Select the type of bowling with left stick and choose the length with three buttons. Then during the walk upto the stumps rotate left stick clockwise or counter-clockwise. And then move the right stick forward to release the ball. Depending on the timing of right stick pushed forward and the direction it was pushed at will determine the final length and line.

Here is the issue. Even when I push ras very straight it still goes very wide of the batsman. And spinners don't seem to bowl no balls at all either. What am I missing/doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread