Post your questions about the game here!

I may be wrong, so please correct me if possible. I think the license issue with PES and FIFA is more to do with the structure of the way they purchase/sign deals. The player likeliness is down to the FIFPro license and other licenses are signed with the Football associations and/or leagues. Therefore, the FIFPro licenses are available to countries that form part of it, so they can use it where possible.

Then again, some players have their own image rights, so that's another thing to think about.

hopefully this friday we get a proper instruction of skills/attributes etc. far more important than any video/screenshot.

I may be wrong, so please correct me if possible. I think the license issue with PES and FIFA is more to do with the structure of the way they purchase/sign deals. The player likeliness is down to the FIFPro license and other licenses are signed with the Football associations and/or leagues. Therefore, the FIFPro licenses are available to countries that form part of it, so they can use it where possible.

Then again, some players have their own image rights, so that's another thing to think about.

PES and FIFA (I think) both have agreements with FIFpro, which is an organisation that manages the likenesses of players in things like videogames. Then they also have permissions from some individual clubs, or nations, or competitions. Football's easy in this regard because one licence gives you so much.
BLIC 2005 had an agreement with the ICC to use the World Cup and Champion's trophy (which allowed all players INSIDE those game-modes to have all the right players/kits etc, because that's the deal the ICC had with all those concerned).

Licensing's a very complex business. :)

Key thing to remember is that it's basically a promise from the person who has the rights to something that they will not sue you for using it.

You don't need a "license" to do ANYTHING with someone else's IP, but if you do not have one you take a risk that someone may think you are unfairly using it and attempt to get compensation. A court would then decide if compensation would be due.
Because of concepts like "fair use", it could be decided by a court that the accused party was in the wrong or it could be decided that they didn't gain anything unfairly. But obviously by that point there's a lot of legal fees and risk.

Great example recently: EA Sports, CLC to settle lawsuits for $40 million -- source - ESPN
I'm sure that EA (and their LEGIONS of lawyers!) thought that they were in the right, and they were allowed to use those likenesses and names without having to pay for it, but the court decided otherwise.
A really simple example of this: I can put a picture of Natalie Portman on here pretty safely: she's probably not coming after me for that. But she *could* take me to court over it, as technically I didn't have permission. And if a court decided that I had benefitted from it, I'd lose.
Now, if I made a game "Natalie Portman Soccer 2013" and made a mint from it, it's *more* likely she would come after me, and that's pretty cut and dry: I profited off her name and she deserves compensation (the court would have to decide how much).
What I SHOULD have done is to get a written agreement up front which promised a certain amount of compensation for Natalie, and in return she would not sue me later on.

People think that a "license" costs money: but this is not always the case. Sometimes it promises a percentage of any profits, sometimes it's free (the other party might think that the benefit of appearing in the game is compensation enough: free publicity etc). And everything in between, all negotiated up front. Because basically your biggest worry is avoiding a nasty surprise later (if I slipped your likeness into a game without an official agreement (even if it WASN'T based on you and just looked a BIT like you!) you COULD get annoyed and sue me and I COULD lose.) But I assess the risk is low of that.

This all got rambly and may well be stuff people already know, but the question comes up a LOT. It just makes official a relationship and sets the terms: an agreement between two parties. You've signed hundreds of them yourself when installing PC software promising you will do this, and won't do this etc.

thanks Chief, it's very interesting - taught me something i didn't know and allowed me to think about Natalie Portman at the same time. I call that a win.

yeah, all of that and then very different by jurisdiction. No two countries have the same laws for the protection of IP rights or penal codes.

When I wrote books on programming they were written in Australia and typeset in England and mostly sold in the West but they were "published", like most books of the time, via India, as that is where you would have to take action if any was warranted - good luck with that! :)

I can put a picture of Natalie Portman on here pretty safely: she's probably not coming after me for that. But she *could* take me to court over it, as technically I didn't have permission

attachment.php

Attachments

• Portman.jpg
    Portman.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 162
Yeah, I think she'd come after you for that, given that it looks like you're using her image to promote the size of your pole.

Come at me, Portz...

So mature. :wave

yeah, all of that and then very different by jurisdiction. No two countries have the same laws for the protection of IP rights or penal codes.

When I wrote books on programming they were written in Australia and typeset in England and mostly sold in the West but they were "published", like most books of the time, via India, as that is where you would have to take action if any was warranted - good luck with that! :)

Wow. Really? Normally surely it would be person/company who made it, and covered by the laws of the country of origin? Isn't that usually stated in the agreements?

Thanks, Chief. It is, indeed, very interesting to know about. However, I now have a question. Not to defame or criticize anyone, so no offence please. Just a genuine informative question that I would really like an answer to have a full understanding of the license thing. Both Ross and Chief are requested to answer this please.

I'm quoting Chief's statement here: "Because basically your biggest worry is avoiding a nasty surprise later (if I slipped your likeness into a game without an official agreement (even if it WASN'T based on you and just looked a BIT like you!) you COULD get annoyed and sue me and I COULD lose.)"

How does that not apply to Cricket Academy then? (Again, I'm not saying that it should. God Forbid!) Anyway, doesn't DBCA use the same thing, i.e. to slip your likeness into the game? I agree that it wasn't BA that slipped it into the game, however the ultimate result is that we ARE going to play a game - developed by BA studio - with players that are genuine and real, and from which the BA studio didn't seek permission from. Moreover, it is BA who gave us the required tools to end up with almost real players. (If I am right. Am I?)

I hope you guys would have got my question. Honestly, Ross, I apologize if you found my question offensive. In my opinion, CA is the best thing ever happened to cricket games and I really thank you for that! :cheers

Wow. Really? Normally surely it would be person/company who made it, and covered by the laws of the country of origin? Isn't that usually stated in the agreements?

You still generally have agreements that you warranty the work but there are international Laws that cover origin of goods etc.. that can be relied upon and argued for in terms of jurisdiction if it all hits the fan.

The internet is causing havoc with Jurisdiction though, interesting case I studied at Uni, Gutnick vs Dow Jones, where Dow Jones published defamatory remarks in New York (aimed at really defaming him in Australia) but as Gutnick was not known in New York the damages would be low - he successfully had the trial held in a Melbourne court convened under US Law and a precedent was made that for the internet in the case of defamation the publishing happens at the intended destination. Amazing case (if you're into IP/Defamation Law :) )

One of my favourites and little known is that if you are born on a ship/aircraft and it is in international waters then you are said to be born wherever that ship/aircraft is registered, many vessels, for the same reasons as books above, are registered in India :) If the vessel is in a country then depending on that country then you are can have dual citizenship of that nation and the registered nation of the vessel (the USA accepts this btw).

1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness:
Article 3 - For the purpose of assigning nationality, birth on a ship or aircraft shall amount to birth in the territory of the State that gives its flag to that ship or aircraft.

----------

Thanks, Chief. It is, indeed, very interesting to know about. However, I now have a question. Not to defame or criticize anyone, so no offence please. Just a genuine informative question that I would really like an answer to have a full understanding of the license thing. Both Ross and Chief are requested to answer this please.

I'm quoting Chief's statement here: "Because basically your biggest worry is avoiding a nasty surprise later (if I slipped your likeness into a game without an official agreement (even if it WASN'T based on you and just looked a BIT like you!) you COULD get annoyed and sue me and I COULD lose.)"

How does that not apply to Cricket Academy then? (Again, I'm not saying that it should. God Forbid!) Anyway, doesn't DBCA use the same thing, i.e. to slip your likeness into the game? I agree that it wasn't BA that slipped it into the game, however the ultimate result is that we ARE going to play a game - developed by BA studio - with players that are genuine and real, and from which the BA studio didn't seek permission from. Moreover, it is BA who gave us the required tools to end up with almost real players. (If I am right. Am I?)

I hope you guys would have got my question. Honestly, Ross, I apologize if you found my question offensive. In my opinion, CA is the best thing ever happened to cricket games and I really thank you for that! :cheers

You may only legally generate content in the Cricket Academy for which you have the license. If anyone finds that their license has been breached then there is a report button that they should use and appropriate action shall take place.

You may only legally generate content in the Cricket Academy for which you have the license. If anyone finds that their license has been breached then there is a report button that they should use and appropriate action shall take place.

This would be my exact answer also. I would guess that the "appropriate action" would probably amount to nothing more than that content being deleted. That's what has happened in the past with UGC anyway.

If anyone finds that their license has been breached then there is a report button that they should use and appropriate action shall take place.
What about if you were perhaps someone who had licensed the use of certain likenesses? Or in your view would it need to be the actual owner of the licensed content?

This would be my exact answer also. I would guess that the "appropriate action" would probably amount to nothing more than that content being deleted. That's what has happened in the past with UGC anyway.

Yep, agreed, that's what happens to all of the Mario Kart stuff on Sony's Mod-Nation, although they keep recreating faster than they can pull it :)

Top 5 downloaded racers, karts, tracks when I last looked were all Mario kart clones.

modracers_thumb.png

Users who are viewing this thread