Post your questions about the game here!

delivery names for spinner are better, and drift/flight is excellent.

but is a left arm spiners stock delivery the off break or leg break? (am assuming leg)...

will there still be a skills clarification in general?

Left armer's stock delivery would be the one that makes the ball move away from a right handed batsman....which i believe would be "leg break"?

A left arm leg break spins back into a right handed batsmen, like Brad Hogg. Either that, or my cricket life has been a lie.

A left arm leg break spins back into a right handed batsmen, like Brad Hogg. Either that, or my cricket life has been a lie.

This. Left arm leg spinner is termed a "chinaman" a la Hogg or Paul Adams of SA.

Left arm spinners are either termed "Left arm orthodox" or "Left arm unorthodox" (also called "Chinaman") and not categorized as off-spinners or leg spinners.

This. Left arm leg spinner is termed a "chinaman" a la Hogg or Paul Adams of SA.

Left arm spinners are either termed "Left arm orthodox" or "Left arm unorthodox" (also called "Chinaman") and not categorized as off-spinners or leg spinners.

Considering I can't afford the cost of using a phrase from a member on PC, I'll say this instead, you've got it spot on! :D

I've always believed a leg break is a ball that spins from leg to off(away from RHB) and off break spins from off to leg(into a RHB) regardless of which hand bowls it.

And as someone else said left arm spinners are slow left arm (finger-spin) or chinamen (wrist spin) no such thing as left hand leg spin because stock ball is spinning from off to leg(not a leg break) no such thing as left hand off spin as stock ball is spinning from leg to off(not an off break) the only time a left arm wrist spinner bowls a leg break is his googly!!only time a left arm finger spinner bowls an off break is his doosra.

No wonder the Americans play baseball!!!

Last edited:
A leg break or off break is depended on the way the ball is released from the hand. so a leg break from a right handed bowler will turn from leg to off and a leg break from a left handed bowler will turn from off to leg.

I've always believed a leg break is a ball that spins from leg to off(away from RHB) and off break spins from off to leg(into a RHB) regardless of which hand bowls it.

And as someone else said left arm spinners are slow left arm (finger-spin) (orthodox) or chinamen (wrist spin)(unorthodox)

I, as a left handed bowler, grip the ball like a right handed off spinner but when I turn the ball (which isn't very much) it goes from leg to off. I've got the same grip but index finger is attempting to spin the ball to the left.

And as someone else said left arm spinners are slow left arm (finger-spin) or chinamen (wrist spin) no such thing as left hand leg spin because stock ball is spinning from off to leg(not a leg break) no such thing as left hand off break as stock ball is spinning from leg to off(not an off break) the only time a left arm wrist spinner bowls a leg break is his googly!!only time a left arm finger spinner bowls an off break is his doosra.

No wonder the Americans play baseball!!!

Trust Americans to complicate things. What we call a "full toss" in cricket is called 12 different things in baseball ;)

Different Baseball Pitches

I, as a left handed bowler, grip the ball like a right handed off spinner but when I turn the ball (which isn't very much) it goes from leg to off. I've got the same grip but index finger is attempting to spin the ball to the left.

Yep that's called slow left arm!! You're not a left handed off spinner because you bowl leg breaks as your stock ball!!!

Yep that's called slow left arm!! You're not a left handed off spinner because you bowl leg breaks as your stock ball!!!

I see what your saying but I disagree with you. To call what a slow left arm bowler delivers as a stock ball as a leg break, in my opinion is wrong. He is using the same technique as a right hander, just using the other hand.

Essentially, in my opinion, a left handed slow left arm's stock delivery is just an off break as a left handed bowler. To call it a leg break is not right (again in my opinion) because the flight and trajectory of a leg spinner is different to a slow left arm. Take Steve Smith and Ashton Agar as an example.

Since I've followed cricket (about 12 years now) a slow left arm bowler's delivery was always called an off break. Or that is how it is termed in Australia. I'm 99% sure that is what our commentators call it as well.

Sorry to go all internet debate on you. Just trying to have a decent discussion because maybe what is common in Australia is actually different overseas.

It's interesting. Personally I am with AJ: direction is important rather than method of delivery.

However, if lefty is correct about the terminology used in AUS, chances are the game may be going by method of delivery.

So Ross/Mikey, to help out CA creators, can you please clarify if with respect to the game and skills, a left arm finger spinner's stock delivery is an off break or a leg break? similarly is a left arm wrist spinner's stock ball an off break or a leg break? (i.e. does the game go by direction of the ball, or method of delivery)

Users who are viewing this thread