Post your questions about the game here!

LOL...two test matches and johnson is suddenly one of the top 4 bowlers in the world? And here i thought only us south asians are infamous for overhyping crap players after two games. Get a grip!

He also hadn't played test cricket for about a year and averages 31. My serious four would be Steyn, Ajmal, Philander and Herath(in Subcontinent) or Siddle(elsewhere)

LOL...two test matches and johnson is suddenly one of the top 4 bowlers in the world? And here i thought only us south asians are infamous for overhyping crap players after two games. Get a grip!

Dude, 95 mph and dead straight with a bit of movement is serious business, especially at a time when no other established player is bowling at that pace.

He's always been capable of it, and he's always been a major talent. You don't inflict broken bones on two players like Graeme Smith and Jaques Kallis in a single game if you're crap.

The mystery is exactly why he's had such long stretches of poor form, where he's struggled both with direction and pace, and why the Australian selectors and backroom staff haven't taken more care with him.

I do agree with Israr, Itl probably be another year and he will be out of the side...but he is pure class when hes in form

To be fair though he is in the top 10 all time wicket takers for Australia which is a pretty good effort. His problem is consistency though. At his best he is close the top 5 fast bowlers in the world.

Dude, 95 mph and dead straight with a bit of movement is serious business, especially at a time when no other established player is bowling at that pace.

He's always been capable of it, and he's always been a major talent. You don't inflict broken bones on two players like Graeme Smith and Jaques Kallis in a single game if you're crap.

The mystery is exactly why he's had such long stretches of poor form, where he's struggled both with direction and pace, and why the Australian selectors and backroom staff haven't taken more care with him.

I can not comment on how much the board "took care" of him as i do not know the internal stories of the australian cricket team.

But When you are this inconsistent, crap for 20 games and great for 2 games, i consider that 20 games is what that defines his quality, not the 2 games that were exceptions. Everyone goes through a good period, even the most mediocre of bowlers. I guess some planets just align up the right way or something. Bowlers like sreesanth too had a good day or two. Hardly he will ever be considered the top 5 bowlers in the world at any time, except probably the WEEK he bowled great in. I am not saying Johnson is crap, but so far he has mostly been mediocre, bordering on downright embarrassing sometimes. He might have great potentials, but A good streak for two games is not what he should be defined by.

Apologies for being off topic. Probably should carry this conversation out in the ashes thread instead.

Last edited:
I am allowed to confirm that Don Bradman Cricket 14 is region free for both PlayStation3 and Xbox360*

*this has nothing to do with the release date

Wow.. this is a great news!! So this means that game will work fine on my XBOX 360 (US).

I know there are number of links to pre-order the game, but any link where we can pre-order an XBOX version for North America?

I am not saying Johnson is crap.

Well that's really my point, because he blatantly isn't.

Everyone goes through a good period, even the most mediocre of bowlers. I guess some planets just align up the right way or something. Bowlers like sreesanth too had a good day or two.

Give me a shout the next time a mediocre player suddenly starts bowling 95mph with control and movement.

I don't want to argue about rankings or all time lists, and history suggests he's not going to stay in this form for a prolonged period. Otoh, he's 2 out of 5 so far, and if he stays there or thereabouts for another couple of games then it's perfectly fair to consider him one of the top international performers of the season.

I don't think israr is saying that Johnson is a mediocre bowler, but many mediocre bowlers get lots of wickets.
Give me a shout the next time a mediocre player suddenly starts bowling 95mph with control and movement.
Back in 2004 Steve Harmison bowled at 95mph with control and movement and looked like the best in the world. It turned out he wasn't a great bowler, but a good bowler who went through periods of greatness, and periods where he couldn't hit the pitch next to the one he was playing on. Sound familiar? Johnson is one of the best when on form, but his lack of consistency doesn't put him in my top four.

Well that's really my point, because he blatantly isn't.

I don't want to argue about rankings or all time lists, and history suggests he's not going to stay in this form for a prolonged period. Otoh, he's 2 out of 5 so far, and if he stays there or thereabouts for another couple of games then it's perfectly fair to consider him one of the top international performers of the season.

T.j. I am not denying what he has done RECENTLY. but you also have to look at what he has done in the past. Consistency to me is the thing that separates greats from good and good from mediocre.

My point is, He probably bowled better than anyone else did last weekend. But that is all I read from that performance - that he bowled the best last weekend- nothing more, nothing less. He is definitely a decent bowler in the end but not someone anyone will be writing proses about after the ashes IF he back to his regular self. Reminds me of many asian fans' infatuation with afridi/sehwag etc and the likes (no offense to anyone :p)

Okay i am done...off to the ashes forum topic....

I don't think israr is saying that Johnson is a mediocre bowler, but many mediocre bowlers get lots of wickets.

Back in 2004 Steve Harmison bowled at 95mph with control and movement and looked like the best in the world. It turned out he wasn't a great bowler, but a good bowler who went through periods of greatness, and periods where he couldn't hit the pitch next to the one he was playing on. Sound familiar? Johnson is one of the best when on form, but his lack of consistency doesn't put him in my top four.

Well if we're talking top 4 all time then obviously Johnson isn't in the frame.

If we're talking ongoing rankings then Harmison deserved his high ranking while he was playing well - because holy mother of god he was a handful back then - and when he started bowling shite his ranking rightly dropped.

If Johnson produces a full series of quality performances (he hasn't yet, but he's done it before and he's 2 for 2 with 3 to play so far this series) then it's fair to say that over that period he was one of the best bowlers in the world.

Well if we're talking top 4 all time then obviously Johnson isn't in the frame.

If we're talking ongoing rankings then Harmison deserved his high ranking while he was playing well - because holy mother of god he was a handful back then - and when he started bowling shite his ranking rightly dropped.

If Johnson produces a full series of quality performances (he hasn't yet, but he's done it before and he's 2 for 2 with 3 to play so far this series) then it's fair to say that over that period he was one of the best bowlers in the world.

I didn't mean all time, I meant the last year or so. But if he takes another 20 wickets and then keeps some remnants of the form going, he will be one of the best. I think he will struggle to keep the form going though.

I didn't mean all time, I meant the last year or so. But if he takes another 20 wickets and then keeps some remnants of the form going, he will be one of the best. I think he will struggle to keep the form going though.

Check out his test ranking throughout 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread