Post your questions about the game here!

Have you ever thought how real cricketers do it when facing the likes of mitchell Johnson? Im telling you i can do it. Dozens of people here do it that way. Its how the game was designed. AMPLE time.
When i play FIFA i cant do tricks. I try, i practice, whatever i do i just cant do them. That doesnt mean they are impossible. I watch guys do them brilliantly on vids. I just cant.
I cant compute what trick needs to be used in what circumstance and what inputs i have to press in the right order to accomplish it.
DBC14 i have figured that out...simple

Now you are really getting silly. You are suggesting that this video game should require the same reactions as facing Mitch Johnson in real life?

If the game is designed so that "most" people cant play it then it is designed wrong. Thats what difficulty settings should be for but in DBC14 they are either not available (career) or useless (every other mode)

Of course I am the problem, again a ridiculous thing to say. Why would I base my assessment of the games difficulty on other peoples skill levels? That said I still am reluctant to believe that you are playing pace bowling and have "ample time"

I dont watch the Snooker world championships and then expect to play with that skill level either. But if the only opponents I could ever play against were world champions I would certainly stop playing pretty quickly.

Overall I have no issue with people saying they find the difficulty appropriate. Everyone has different skill levels. What I take issue with is you trying to tell me that all I have to do is practice and especially with the phrase "ample time" which frankly is a ridiculous thing to say.

Now you are really getting silly. You are suggesting that this video game should require the same reactions as facing Mitch Johnson in real life?

Was i suggesting that? I was saying people do possess fast reflexes. That was all.
Saying most people are finding it too hard to play the game the way it was intended is off the mark. I think you are determined to remain defeated by the game if you term my suggestion to practice and that it may actually lead to your improvement as ridiculous.
As my last bit of advice i suggest you get a box of tissues.

Was i suggesting that? I was saying people do possess fast reflexes. That was all.
Saying most people are finding it too hard to play the game the way it was intended is off the mark. I think you are determined to remain defeated by the game if you term my suggestion to practice and that it may actually lead to your improvement as ridiculous.
As my last bit of advice i suggest you get a box of tissues.

Whatever mate, you werent at all helpful so Im happy that your advice has come to an end.

I would place money on "most" people finding batting too hard. And certainly in the context of the discussion that you originally quoted me on there is no doubt. That was that bowling is much easier than batting.

I have had the game since release and I really enjoy it but I cant get the hang of batting on pro and above. The amount of hours I have put in far exceeds that which should be required to play a video game effectively.

If you can do it then great for you! Congratulations. However it doesnt relate in any way to my experience.

"Play the game as intended" is also a silly thing to say. You have no idea what they intended and the amount of bugs and fixes required is evidence that it didnt exactly come out as they intended anyway. I would imagine their main intention was to sell a bunch of games so they could make some money.

The current anomalous difficulty settings has or will reduce those sales. Theres no way they "intended" that.

The jump from amateur to pro is too extreme. There is no challenge whatsoever in one and no chance of success in the other. Whether or not its most people or only some people that find that to be the case is somewhat irrelevant because by addressing it they satisfy more customers and that cannot be a bad thing.

The jump from amateur to pro is too extreme. There is no challenge whatsoever in one and no chance of success in the other.

i agree with that. but patience and practice eliminates your no chance of success. although amount of that patience and practice required is too damn high.

do we hav to press d appeal button for stumpings or is it automated like run outs

i agree with that. but patience and practice eliminates your no chance of success. although amount of that patience and practice required is too damn high.

Yes, this I agree with. I also find that the batting timing window for aggressive shots on Pro is either too small or somewhat inconsistent, so what works for me in one over might not work for me in the next at times. So I largely stay clear of it altogether if I can.

I do well enough with batting in my career though, I've scored a few 50's and have a top score of 75, so that's going well only just nearing the end of season one.

I can understand the batting on Pro being as hard as it is for career. I just think that there possibly needs to be an amateur option in Career, but with harder bowling and slightly harder batting.

Amateur is often referred to as too easy and Pro too hard in other modes too. I imagine it could take some very subtle little AI or gameplay adjustments and we could have:

A Pro level that's slightly easier to bat, very marginally harder to bowl due mostly to smarter AI batting.

An Amateur level that's slightly harder to bat due to a minor adjustment in the timing window and once again harder to bowl due to smarter batting AI.

A rookie level that would be impacted by similar adjustments to timing window and AI and be more or less nearly as hard as the current Amateur level.

@Jadel if you still can't play the game as you wish in 6 months, I'll concede you may have a point. As it is the game has been out a month and is radically different to what we've seen before: of course it's a struggle.

Just grow a pair and accept you need to put in time to improve.

@blockerdave

I`m all for the put some hours in , as thats what I`m trying to do.

But I promise you , that if the game does not try and cater for the more average gamers , other than us hardcore players, it will die off quickly for obvious reasons.

If BA intended this to be a cricket simulator for the hardcore gamers , they should just state this and accept the fact that future sales will be impacted by word of mouth .

The fact that the (2) most played versions of the game effectively "locks" you into a Pro mode (career) and Pro/Veteran (Online) is killing it for the average Joe.

All the more reason to applaude the amount of risk taken by developers for sake of hardcore cricket gamers. For eternity we have been handed a minigame bonanza labelled as cricket simulators. For once a developer has atleast taken a refreshing approach. Yes there are going to be bumps on the road but this game rocks for me.

DBC checks most of the boxes and I guess one minor tweak will make it even more popular and accessible to casual gamers. All @BigAntStudios/Big Ant need to do is have a setting in the game which you can customize to decide how early you want to see the line & length circle around the ball. Depending on he challenge you want or depending on your reaction time, you can select a setting which gives you ample time to see the line & length circle or appears at the very last moment.

Against AI, the circle can even appear as the bowler is running in so you have ample time to decide the footwork, and in multi-player mode (online & offline), they can slow down the bowler the way they do now in online so the batsman can see the line & length circle in time. This will allow casual gamers to determine line & length early enough to play a non-premeditated shot, and also provide enough challenge for hard-core gamers as they can select a setting which doesn't allow them that much time to see the line & length circle. This option is still much better than the pitch-marker option as the batsman still doesn't know where the ball will land on the pitch and only provides some information regarding what the line & length might be.

it really depends, as a community, what do we want? it's easy to say you're bored of knowing where the ball is pitching and smashing 6 after 6... essentially big ant have take us at our word on that, so, do we want a tough learning curve?

100% batting above amateur level is tough. but it's doable... and you improve if you pay attention to what you're getting wrong. i've reached a relatively frustrating stage - i am seeing the length/line enough to think "front foot, cover drive" or "back foot, leg glance"... at the moment i am not good enough to make the adjustments every time. so i can cry and say the game is too hard and the reaction time is too quick, or i can accept that i haven't had the game long enough, notice that i have improved out of sight, and look forward to continue to improve knowing i have 2 more difficulty levels to conquer.

fact is, i'm terrible at some type of games, especially shoot-em-up or driving games, but i don't think they're too hard. and i don't think DBC is asking for more in terms of reaction time than some of those.

this is a game that cost a lot of money, and has more "big" bugs than one would like for the money (thank god for the patching). we should at least embrace the fact that it has the difficulty and the mode variation to provide plenty of play before "mastering"

Last edited:
As others have stated batting is great for us hardcore but it's the casual buyers sales that will keep franchise going

Therefore BA surely have to cater for them also. If I was casual cricket gamer I would have stopped batting in this game by now (yes could play rookie but then bowling is sooooo easy)

Solution again has been mentioned loads: set different skill levels for batting and bowling when playing a match

@blockerdave

I`m all for the put some hours in , as thats what I`m trying to do.

But I promise you , that if the game does not try and cater for the more average gamers , other than us hardcore players, it will die off quickly for obvious reasons.

If BA intended this to be a cricket simulator for the hardcore gamers , they should just state this and accept the fact that future sales will be impacted by word of mouth .

The fact that the (2) most played versions of the game effectively "locks" you into a Pro mode (career) and Pro/Veteran (Online) is killing it for the average Joe.

As others have stated batting is great for us hardcore but it's the casual buyers sales that will keep franchise going

Therefore BA surely have to cater for them also. If I was casual cricket gamer I would have stopped batting in this game by now (yes could play rookie but then bowling is sooooo easy)

Solution again has been mentioned loads: set different skill levels for batting and bowling when playing a match

maybe so... i personally think plenty of games ask for quick reactions. my guess is a "gamer", who wasn't particularly in to cricket and hadn't played any previous cricket game, would get along just fine. if you're used to having maybe 3-5 seconds between seeing a pitch-donut and playing the shot, yeah this game seems impossibly quick... if you're used to "see nazi, aim at nazi, shoot nazi before he shoots me" type games, is it really that much quicker?

Users who are viewing this thread