Post your questions about the game here!

Clarification regarding batting shots

Hi,

Playing the game since 10 days and loving it so far. I have a couple of questions: (1) I can play the reverse sweep but have never seen the reverse sweep go for four, has any one of you been able to achieve this? ( it might go for four but very sluggishly, not similar to reverse sweeps in real matches that go blazing fast sometimes ). (2) I am unable to play the glance to third man ( where batsman opens face of the bat), it is a pretty common shot in real cricket, just wanted to know if it is able to play that shot. (3) Does the loft button work in tandem with shoulder button (LB) used to play sweeps? (4) When we do not press any shot modifier (eg LT or RT or LT + RT) and just use analog sticks for shots, what mode is that in ? is it the same as LT + RT and what is your suggestion or feedback regarding aggressive ground shots vs only analog sticks for shots.

I might have some more questions as I play the game more, but if some one can help me solve them, it will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ravi

1) i have hit a few reverse sweeps for four, though typically i only get 1s or 2s from it. few of the 4s have gone that quickly... i guess the shot has particular timing, since it's not "canned"... the ball will travel according to your timing.

2) i don't think it's possible with a straight bat, but it can be done as a late cut.

3) i don't think so, i've never seen it

4) i have never played an aggressive ground shot using both triggers. if you time a "normal" (no trigger) shot well, the ball will will fly along the ground.

----------

Why can't the batting be made to the same skill level as the bowling.
I love the game and can bowl out teams for a respectable and realistic score, but nomatter how much I practice and whatever tactics I use I can't bat up to that realism.
I'm lucky if my team can score 70 in most innings on pro mode which makes playing matches pointless.
Couldn't the batting be improved somehow to match the bowling skill needed?
I know the experts out there are going to say, practice more, but I have and I still think the batting skill needed to score realistic scores is far greater than the skill needed to bowl out a side.
Love the game, best cricket game out there my miles, but it's ruined by the fact the batting is too hard.

batting isn't too hard, bowling is too easy... far far too easy.

batting isn't too hard, bowling is too easy... far far too easy.

I don't agree with any of this.

Batting is so hard it's depressing. Even if you are super human in your reflexes I refuse to believe you are playing each ball on its merits rather than premeditation.

Bowling isn't too easy either, it's just about right, it's the AI batting that sucks versus human bowling. If that were fixed it would be spot on.

Batting is so hard it's depressing. Even if you are super human in your reflexes I refuse to believe you are playing each ball on its merits rather than premeditation.

Bowling isn't too easy either, it's just about right, it's the AI batting that sucks versus human bowling. If that were fixed it would be spot on.

well, i meant that bowling is easy because of the ai batting. the controls element of the bowling is excellent.

i get into much more trouble when i premeditate. yes, i have an idea of the shot i want to play beforehand, but i can adjust within reasonable limits. e.g i might be "planning" a drive through mid-on, but you can pick up the line to see it's wide of off and i can play a cover drive. or plan a cover drive and pick up a leg-stump line and go for a leg glance.

i do find it difficult to switch from a drive to playing a bouncer. however, i blame myself - i see the "red" soon enough i just don't react... that's my fault, not the game's. i've had the game a month, and in that month i have improved significantly, but there is still a big challenge to be scaled... that's exactly what i want.

I have hit the reverse sweep for four once, but don't like using it, blockerdave is correct in saying when you time correctly you will not need aggressive ground shots. Batting is hard, but that's what batting is on test cricket or ought to be, I usually keep my fingers on the front foot shot as that is what the most balls requires, but then watches the indicator to see if it is red or else. It is still getting used to it but with time it gets better. I just wish I had more time to play the game

Does anyone know why I can't change the batting line up in career even when I'm the captain.

my stats have been reset, I'm on 1st level and have 0xp.
however career mode is still there.
will it affect the performance of my player in career????

You need to do a better job choosing to run or at least cancel earlier.

It's bugged for sure but it's easy to work around it.

I haven't got run out because of the bug for two weeks except for 1 of those weird stumping ones where he wanders away from the crease.
I really appreciate the feedback but sadly I've been run-out in the same situation in the same game in both innings on 45 and 49, as you could imagine it's pretty heartbreaking. Even if I press it as soon and the ball has been played he seems to just wonder around. Hopefully this bug is removed in Patch #2 !

Why can't the batting be made to the same skill level as the bowling.
I love the game and can bowl out teams for a respectable and realistic score, but nomatter how much I practice and whatever tactics I use I can't bat up to that realism.
I'm lucky if my team can score 70 in most innings on pro mode which makes playing matches pointless.
Couldn't the batting be improved somehow to match the bowling skill needed?
I know the experts out there are going to say, practice more, but I have and I still think the batting skill needed to score realistic scores is far greater than the skill needed to bowl out a side.
Love the game, best cricket game out there my miles, but it's ruined by the fact the batting is too hard.

i know that feel bro, I've been there. instead of doing net practice play match against some weak teams in casual game on pro mode. you'll score good and then choose some better team. I've fine this and it improved my skills significantly.

Friends........ what about the night tests in this game? Was it not deployed? Sorry if I am late on the bus....
Any info on this? Dont wanna miss out on this exciting feature.. Unsure where the setting is though!

You'll need to make them yourself in the Match Type Designer in the Don Bradman Academy - for some reason day night tests aren't included out of the box.

Thats silly. Have you ever watched someone else play the game?
When you watch someone else playing you think, "gee you actually do get a fair bit of time to play each delivery on its merits"
The thing that makes it difficult is the fact that we have to sum up the line, length and then use at least two inputs (left stick/right stick) and then whatever trigger(s) you want.
The inputs come with time and practice. There is ample time to play each ball on its merits. It is the ONLY way to bat successfully imo.

Once you train your brain that for a particular line and length you need to use particular inputs it becomes second nature.
Yes its still hard.
Yes you could also argue to play most lofted shots there has to be some sort of premeditation but to suggest that you need superhuman reflexes and that is impossible to bat without premeditating is wrong.

Thats silly. Have you ever watched someone else play the game?
When you watch someone else playing you think, "gee you actually do get a fair bit of time to play each delivery on its merits"
The thing that makes it difficult is the fact that we have to sum up the line, length and then use at least two inputs (left stick/right stick) and then whatever trigger(s) you want.
The inputs come with time and practice. There is ample time to play each ball on its merits. It is the ONLY way to bat successfully imo.

Once you train your brain that for a particular line and length you need to use particular inputs it becomes second nature.
Yes its still hard.
Yes you could also argue to play most lofted shots there has to be some sort of premeditation but to suggest that you need superhuman reflexes and that is impossible to bat without premeditating is wrong.

Are there any videos of someone playing true pace? Had a look through a couple and they were all fast/medium. While I still find that quite hard its not even close to proper pace.

There is certainly not "ample time" As you said you have to sum up line/length but you forgot speed. Then apply that info to a multiple choice/action input on two joysticks and 1 modifier (and thats forgetting about block/crazy shot/advance)

How long have you got to do that? Ideal timing comes when the delivery is about halfway down the pitch. So less than half the time it takes the delivery to reach the batter. I havent timed it, not sure how you would do that accurately, but theres no way it takes a second. So thats less than half a second to assess and react and respond. If you can do that accurately and consistently under those conditions then yes you have superhuman reactions.

Are there any videos of someone playing true pace? Had a look through a couple and they were all fast/medium. While I still find that quite hard its not even close to proper pace.

There is certainly not "ample time" As you said you have to sum up line/length but you forgot speed. Then apply that info to a multiple choice/action input on two joysticks and 1 modifier (and thats forgetting about block/crazy shot/advance)

How long have you got to do that? Ideal timing comes when the delivery is about halfway down the pitch. So less than half the time it takes the delivery to reach the batter. I havent timed it, not sure how you would do that accurately, but theres no way it takes a second. So thats less than half a second to assess and react and respond. If you can do that accurately and consistently under those conditions then yes you have superhuman reactions.

Have you ever thought how real cricketers do it when facing the likes of mitchell Johnson? Im telling you i can do it. Dozens of people here do it that way. Its how the game was designed. AMPLE time.
When i play FIFA i cant do tricks. I try, i practice, whatever i do i just cant do them. That doesnt mean they are impossible. I watch guys do them brilliantly on vids. I just cant.
I cant compute what trick needs to be used in what circumstance and what inputs i have to press in the right order to accomplish it.
DBC14 i have figured that out...simple

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread