Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

Anyone else so frustrated, they've returned the game?

Bought it yesterday for the PC, hoping for a decent game. Alas it's such a shambles, I've taken it back. Now a few minor bugs I can forgive, it's sadly the nature of the world now in relation to gaming BUT the critical bugs just spoil the game.

Played solidly for about 8 hours yesterday, wrote down so many things that went beyond annoying me that I went back to HMV today and got me some store credit.

A patch could well solve many issues and would be welcome but I'll rather pray and wait and then buy it cheaper later in the year.

So so disappointed :crying

After seeing some screenshots from the game, I'm slightly bemused as to why 3-Mobile pitch ads and so on are in the game, yet the series the game is named after appears to be almost completely unlicenced: no Npower stumps or pitchads!

I'll say one thing, regardless of how good the game is, Transmission appear to have completely wasted the Ashes licence.

Well, Why not buy it for Xbox or something. PC is very hard to use and Xbox/Wii/PS3 are much easier and funner?

Ok was having the greatest ODI's ever in the history similar to Australia South Africa where South Africa Chased down the mammoth total.
Here India(me) made 413 runs in 50 overs. South Africa started very badly they lost Gibbs for a duck and at the end of 5 overs the score was 12/1. And then Smith just tea off. Well at the time when the run-out bug occurred and my game froze the score was South Africa 148/3 in 15.4 overs. They were right on course with the run rate and Amla got run out at 50(18). Smith was playing on 78(48)*. And my xbox froze and shame that I didn't have the game saved!:doh

Ok was having the greatest ODI's ever in the history similar to Australia South Africa where South Africa Chased down the mammoth total.
Here India(me) made 413 runs in 50 overs. South Africa started very badly they lost Gibbs for a duck and at the end of 5 overs the score was 12/1. And then Smith just tea off. Well at the time when the run-out buck occured and my game froze the score was South Africa 148/3 in 15.4 overs. The were right on course with the run rate and Amla got run out at 50(18). Simith was playing on 78(48)*. And my xbox froze and shame that I didn't have the game saved!:doh

Save regularly! Every few overs, or ever over preferably; I'm not sure how long it takes the Xbox to save, but I'd imagine it'd be almost instantaneous on the PC version.

Quite a good R/R from Aus so far in my Ashes test. 85/1 after 20 overs. I'm able to bowl economically with swing (when the AI isn't going crazy) but not with cutters or spin. Saving every few overs as have already had to reload because of two stupid runouts.

Ridiculous is right. I'll extend this by saying that it's another flawed cricket game and I won't be buying it. I'll be coming across as a whiner but I'm just about done sending hundreds of dollars into the pockets of developers who don't deserve it.

People have been talking about a patch for weeks already. Why should we be waiting for a patch? And what's the chance of it fixing so many bugs and errors? It might address one or two issues but there seem to be at least 6 or 7 significant problems.

Why should the public be forced to make mods to try and 'fix' the game? These are things the developers should have done with the original game. How on Earth can you miss so many glaring problems like AI runouts and bowling speeds? All you have to do is play the game once. Either their cricket knowledge is severely lacking or they're just plain lazy.

Baseball games like MLB09 are superb are essentially flawless. Some say you can't compare cricket to other sports for computer gaming. Why not?

Some say that because this is Transmission's first attempt at producing a cricket game, we should cut them some slack. I say that this is the year 2009, and the technology should be up to scratch. There was a review I read recently - one that I found particularly generous - which claimed that Transmission had addressed the problems made in the past. I disagree. Issues like poor AI pacing and incorrect statistics have been around time and time again over the last decade, but again they are not remedied. Like I said, all you have to do is play the game once to expose these incredibly frustrating mainstays.

The companies that make baseball games might have more funding, but I don't see why that has to account for them getting all the fundamentals right with their game, while cricket developers don't learn from the mistakes of the past. That excuse doesn't wash with me. 10 years of flaws, yet here they are again.

This post of mine is harsh, I'm aware of that. But every time a game is released, I am there at the store on the release date with $70-100 in hand and anticipation rushing through my veins. And each time I've had to put the game back on the shelf and wait for the PC modders - bless their efforts - to make their own mini-patches to fix another faulty product.

I'l keep my money in my account this time.

That's the problem these days. Even games that I've been happy with have needed some sort of patch to fix some sort of issue. Patches are an intrinsic part of gaming these days unfortunately - something that developers rely on instead of testing games properly.

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Sweet, no run outs!

Which system are you playing on?

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Kinda bored with this game now, its lost the appeal already, mianly due to online sucking with guys who just yorker you all the time and lag issues.
And the AI isnt all that either so single plays is crap.
Cricket revolution looks like the way forward now it looks to have great potential.

Play with friends/people from P.C. where people will agree rules on limits for yorkers per over.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Have to say, I've not noticed variable conditions changing the difficulty of the batting. Then again, I feel I'm missing a lot of the game experience so far (despite having had it a week longer than most). No edges to slips, no lbw from fast bowlers. No bowled from fast bowlers...

That's odd - I've been playing the demo extender for ages now and I've had quite a few nicks to the slips, but not one caught behind to the keeper!

Following on i now lead by 46!... All is going well! But now spin from both ends and its begining to turn big again! Around same time as last time with the ball 55 overs old!!

Lunch on Day 3! I need a least a lead of 250 to have a chance i feel!

Ok is it just me or is batting really easy on hard

Im India playing South africa in a test match at Kolkatta on hard mode

I am 96/0 after 16 overs?

Are India the best batting team in the game? Maybe that could be reason as with any other team I probably would be like 60/2 or something. Or could it be that Indian pitches are so flat

m India playing South africa in a test match at Kolkatta on hard mode

Slow low wicket mate!!... wait till that pitch starts to turn!!

Im 249/4 i was 220/2 at Sydney on a lovely deck! Around 50 overs spinners from both ends! Its now a batting nightmere!!

Well, Why not buy it for Xbox or something. PC is very hard to use and Xbox/Wii/PS3 are much easier and funner?

Rubbish; besides which, how do you know these bugs are not present in all versions? Also 'PC's are very hard to use?' Umm..no.
1. Make sure the game runs on your machine
2. Boot up (aka turning on the machine)
3. Put the disc in and install the game (pretty much an automated procedure)
4. PLAY!

If that's 'hard to use' to you, then your technical knowledge is around about the level of your grammar and spelling. 'Funner'?

Oh and good luck modding your game. On PC, we'll probably be able to do things about the bounce, the sound, the graphics, the AI's pacing and other things, while you will be stuck with it as it is out of the box. :p

your loss, this game is going to be epic

Agreed. Give it a few months and either P.C, Transmission, or both will have this game rocking and rolling. It's not exactly terrible at the moment.

Slow low wicket mate!!... wait till that pitch starts to turn!!

Im 249/4 i was 220/2 at Sydney on a lovely deck! Around 50 overs spinners from both ends! Its now a batting nightmere!!

Ok I just lost my first wicket 100/1

caught and bowled by Kallis looked very realistic

edit..Ok now im edging everything!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread