Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

Just had an absolute CRACKER of a match online against a guy from on here, thought I'd post up the review! Really made me believe in the game after my initial doubts!

I was India against cricketking's Aussies, he won the toss and elected to field. I came out aiming to take it slowly and not suffer from the run-outs I had against EarlCG. But Mitchell Johnson got me rocking with two demon in-swingers which took out the stumps of my openers. A collapse swiftly followed, courtesy mostly of 4 or 5 ridiculous run outs, two of which were on free-hits which I managed to really fudge up! I simply couldn't score off Johnson, who gave away just 11 runs in his 4 overs. I fared better against lee, with the two "Pathaks" looking like they may salvage something. But soon I was down to my tail not far beyond scoring 50.

Enter... Mr Harbhajan Singh!

As others fell around him, the oddly turban-less (I'm sure he has it offline!) Indian took a series of wild swings. Some he connected with, but missed even more and was damn lucky to survive on several occasions. He must have been at the crease for half the length of my innings, until he finally ran out of luck and spooned a simple catch to the slips.

______So I'd scored 94, and cricketking must have felt pretty confident of victory as he walked out to bat. Over halfway to the target, he would have been feeling even more confident, having lost only 3 wickets, a superb inswinging yorker which left Katich out LBW for a duck, and the run-outs of Ponting and Clarke.

Enter... Mr Harbahjan Singh!

I turned to spin with little hope, the score was ticking over steadily and the Aussies were crusing to their target. In the next few overs the score continued to tick over, but so did the wickets! In a superb display of spin bowling, Singh got Hussey stumped and White caught while at the other end Mohan clean-bowled Hughes with a wrong-un. Suddenly there was a glimmer of hope. Haddin was once dropped before a successful catch brought the first guy you could call a tail-ender, Mitchell Johnson, to the crease. One ball later and he was gone, caught behind off Singh! Two wickets left, less than 10 needed. My opponent clearly rattled, I brought in the field...

cricket2009200908092346.jpg

Several times Lee played and missed, and was dropped by Dhoni. There were unsuccessful attempts to rotate the strike, before finally Watson got to the batsmans end. The field went out... every man bar 2 on the boundary, allowing the single to get Lee on strike. It worked, and he spooned a simple catch up, which Y. Singh took!

cricket2009200908092348.jpg

6 to win. 1 wicket...

cricket2009200908092348.jpg

Clark somehow survives the remainder of Harbahjan's (FINAL!) over. I can't remember if he was dropped, but I do know he got a streaky 4 in there somewhere. I brought in Pathan to bowl what would surely be the final over.

2 to win, Clark on strike. He survived an inside edge onto the pads off the first, and then I made a fatal mistake. A no-ball which ran away onto leg side. They ran a single, the scores were tied. My only hope was to prevent a run off the free ball. It was the predictable disguised slower ball. A top edge sent the ball looping into the air. It would have been an easy catch, but it was also an easy run and the game was over!

cricket2009200908092350.jpg
cricket2009200908092350.jpg

cricket2009200908092351.jpg
cricket2009200908092351.jpg

Singh was clearly the Man of the Match, India's high-scorer with 22, and taking 5 for 18 to bring about a thrilling finale. Great match! :eek:

Last edited:
Very nice! Which system was it on?

Was that spinner field a custom field, or is it one of the presets?

Edit: About the PC version, do the 'special effects' still do nothing other than give the game a washed out look, or are they actually worth having in the full game?

Me and Simbazz had a cracker too. I was 9 down and needed 25 which I chased down he had similar fields. very very similar infact although I was chasing 127

We will have to play again, there was a slight bit of lag from your end though. I definately know it wasn't me lagging, as the xbox was the only thing with internet connection running, and I'd played a lag-free game before ours.

Just so people don't call me on it, I am in no way blaming the lag on me losing. I suck with or without lag.

We will have to play again, there was a slight bit of lag from your end though. I definately know it wasn't me lagging, as the xbox was the only thing with internet connection running, and I'd played a lag-free game before ours.

Just so people don't call me on it, I am in no way blaming the lag on me losing. I suck with or without lag.

Yeh even I had problems while batting the ball suddenly stopped and then started again. It happened twice or thrice. The thing is that Lag can't happen from my side you hosted the game! But whatever it was still there was some stopping of the game in between. Inspite of that it was a cracker! Will defo play some other time. I am away for few days. When I get back will send u a message if you ll be online.

Very nice! Which system was it on?

Was that spinner field a custom field, or is it one of the presets?

Edit: About the PC version, do the 'special effects' still do nothing other than give the game a washed out look, or are they actually worth having in the full game?

It was on PC, everything with the special effects on, so judge for yourself. I don't think it looks washed out though.

Yeh the field was custom. It's really quick and easy to set them up, a good positive of the game and handy online!

Ok finished the first Innings I made 614 all out in reply to England's 180. They are trailing by 434 lets see how they take on from here!

Have they fixed the dreadful AI fielding with this game? Like in BL07, the AI field shape always left exploitable gaps. It never seemed to learn either. That lack of intelligence let it down massively in my opinion. Anyone confirm/deny they have fixed this for Ashes 09?

It was on PC, everything with the special effects on, so judge for yourself. I don't think it looks washed out though.

Yeh the field was custom. It's really quick and easy to set them up, a good positive of the game and handy online!

No, I think it looks very nice now.

Ok finished the first Innings I made 614 all out in reply to England's 180. They are trailing by 434 lets see how they take on from here!

614! Wow, how long did that take?

Ok england has gone crazy in the begining they are 59/3 in 7.1 overs

nimish_sach added 1 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

No, I think it looks very nice now.

614! Wow, how long did that take?

Just over a day I was playing at 7 RPO. But my worry is the AI they are 434 behind and they are slogging from the word go. Three wickets so far One caught and bowled LEE. Second stupid run out and third Caught by ponting at Silly mid off

Ok england has gone crazy in the begining they are 59/3 in 7.1 overs

nimish_sach added 1 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Just over a day I was playing at 7 RPO. But my worry is the AI they are 434 behind and they are slogging from the word go. Three wickets so far One caught and bowled LEE. Second stupid run out and third Caught by ponting at Silly mid off

Oh dear... :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread