Review Retail Version Impressions Thread

Which is what I thought after playing the demo - better than BLIC '99 - and that got a bit more than 68%.

Got the first test Hundred with Symonds. now in slightly better position then I started.
148/7 in 17 overs trail by 29runs. Symonds 101(50)

End of Australia's 20 overs. Finished with 155/2. Last 2 overs cost just 6 runs, I managed to bowl excellently with Flintoff and Dimi. Ponting was the 2nd man to go, clipping in the air to square leg, good catch as well. Wonder how close I'll get to chasing this!

169 all out me Australia in the first innings was chasing 177 posted by England in the First innings.

My top scorers symonds 120
M Clarke 14
Ponting 9

Yep, not started well. Tried to go for a quick single to rotate the strike. Direct hit, Luke Wright gone without facing. Brings Pietersen to the crease at 4/1.

Crap. Pietersen's run out as well. Need to work on my running I think :p

My god. 9/4. All 4 of them run outs. This is going badly.

Last edited:
I'm really struggling with the bowling, Australia were 121/1 off 11 overs in a test match :doh

I don't know what colour signals a good line/length

Which is what I thought after playing the demo - better than BLIC '99 - and that got a bit more than 68%.

You have to remember mate that so many things go into a 'score' when reviewing a game.

Take graphics for example. Obviously this game is the greatest graphical game out there and i would say is only 'okay' for current day graphic outputs. Graphics in itself could at least take 10 or 20% off.

Content is a big one aswell, theres the ashes, but not much else. Probably another 5%.

The sounds is very mediocre, commentary is the major flaw, so marks off for that.

Just a couple of example. After playing the demo (which i enjoyed might i add) a 68% seems perfectly reasonable and wont necessarily mean its a bad game.

Yep, not started well. Tried to go for a quick single to rotate the strike. Direct hit, Luke Wright gone without facing. Brings Pietersen to the crease at 4/1.

Crap. Pietersen's run out as well. Need to work on my running I think :p

My god. 9/4. All 4 of them run outs. This is going badly.
:laugh

I almost thought those were 4 suicidal run outs by the AI, but it was actually you :p

Nope, all me my friend. I just expect if I cancel the run they'll get back easy, but it turns out they don't. Michael Clarke hits the stumps far too regularly. Managed to avoid a run out for a couple of overs now though, 26/4 off 3.3 overs.

You have to remember mate that so many things go into a 'score' when reviewing a game.

Take graphics for example. Obviously this game is the greatest graphical game out there and i would say is only 'okay' for current day graphic outputs. Graphics in itself could at least take 10 or 20% off.

Content is a big one aswell, theres the ashes, but not much else. Probably another 5%.

The sounds is very mediocre, commentary is the major flaw, so marks off for that.

Just a couple of example. After playing the demo (which i enjoyed might i add) a 68% seems perfectly reasonable and wont necessarily mean its a bad game.

Fair enough, but '68%' to me means don't buy it; 68% means it's a bad game in my book. If a game is good, I expect to see it get 75% plus, up to around 85% - anything higher than that and the game is amazing.

Also, people are posting many stories and updates, including those who said it's mediocre. If it's that bad, why post stories about it?

Also, you say it has not much more than the Ashes. What about the ability to have test series against other nations, don't tell me you can't even do that. Apart from that, it seems to have 20/Twenty (albeit unlicenced) and ODIs - does it have no tournaments, or the ability to create them?

Random figure I know, but I feel so far this is 79% what I'm looking for in a cricket game. If they build on this then Ashes Cricket 2011 will be frightfully good.

Random figure I know, but I feel so far this is 79% what I'm looking for in a cricket game. If they build on this then Ashes Cricket 2011 will be frightfully good.

79%. That is much closer to what I'd give the demo, let alone the game.

You know what. I don't like batting in this game :laugh Small matter of 28/6 now. Collingwood just ran Mascheranas out, and Ravi Bopara got out missing a full straight one from Hopes, I played the shot about 2 weeks early. Not going well. Going to need a miracle from Colly and Fats Patel to win this game.

I'd give this game about a 73/74% tbh. It's not awful, but it's not great either.

Last edited:
Just bowled Australia out for 320 after 54 overs, so a couple of pacing issues there, even though I did bowl some bad balls and had some large gaps on the leg side.

Katich got 113 (off 118) and Watson got 76. Other than that the highest scores were in the 30's and 20's.

Oh, and Broad got 7-61. :D :D :D

2 Runouts as well - Clarke and Watson. :noway

Users who are viewing this thread