Story Sam Spurway's Road to Glory - Two Runs To Win - Has Spurway Won Himself A Beer?

Is Spurway good enough to be playing First-Class?

• Definately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Yet

• Probably Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Willoughby bowled his first five overs brilliantly. Glamorgan were smashing us at 5.1 per over when he bowled his first, and is economy was 3.21 per over. Cameron was doing well, going at 4 an over, but I have to say Willoughby was doing best of the two. Blackwell was brought on to bowl with Cameron. Everyone in the stadium knew how he must feel. The coach, the physio all knew he wasn't fit to play, but there he was, standing tall, ready to bowl. This was a huge test for him. He walked in and... YES! it's in the air! oh... goes over short mid-on for four. Second ball, he bowls it... IN THE AIR AGAIN! YES!!!! Langer holds it!!! Blacky ran and jumped into my arms. Our celebration was shortlived. We heared a groan from around us, he spun around and saw the umpires arm perpendicular to his body. He had bowled a no-ball.

ian_blackwell_302x440.jpg

Me and Blackwell Celebrating

Spurway Will Have An Interview After This Match So Fanzone Questions Will Be Included, Feel Free To Post Your Questions To Sam!

Charl Willoughby was brought back after Cameron had bowled out his overs. His third ball was a corker, just like the wicket. It did everything the same... excet when it was coming my direction. It swung more than one of hoggy's deliveries, and bounced off my glove. A drop is a drop, and i can't deny i dropped it. It wasn't all lows though, We kept it very tight, very tight, especially when Willoughby continued bowling exceptionally at the end of Glamorgan's innings. He finished with 1-36 of 10. Blacky didnt get any wicket, he had 0-53. Cameron had the best figures with 3-50, but Sheriyar wasn't bad with 2-40. We had been set an easily gettable total of 233 at 4.7an over. I though I had kept really well. I only let one through which incidently, was a wide, although on my beehive it says 'byes'

Beehive1.gif

I was set to bat at 7 but the coach said that it wasn't set in stone, and that he would try to get me a bat, so i could be moved up to 5!

Last edited:
awesome update like the pic and the ball zones dissapointing drop but a good catch and would be excited to bat at 5

Question

do you feel out of your depth playing first class cricket at your age and with your experiance?

How would you have reacted if the coach had said you to go at no : 3? ( Like Pathan experimented many times for India. ;)

Keep up the great works. :) Fantastic!

Update coming to day or tomorrow
Please keep the Questions coming for Fanzone

thx for comment Highland999
keep the questions coming please

I sat down, and decided to take my keeping pads off, and put my batting pads on. I was at 7, and I still could be moved up. we started off at decent pce, but wickets were falling. First Tresco, then Langer too. After 10 we were 53 -2. In the 11th over another quick wicket fell, and Francis was coming home. We were in trouble. By the 26th over Parsons had gone too, and it was my turn to walk to the wicket and meet Cameron White, who was still getting his eye in at the opposite end.

2099504.jpg

Francis gives away his wicket.

I was in more that halfway through our innings, and we still needed 127 at 5.7 an over. One or both of us was going to have to hit out, or get out. I played out the last two balls of the over, leaving one, and blocking the next. We met in the middle, and decided that Cameron should hit the ball hard, and I should roll over the strike. It was so good to watch. He was hitting sixes and fours. It was my time to shine, when a no-ball was taken for a single, and then I was to face the free-hit. He bowled a half-volley and it hit the middle and rocketed to the fence for four. The next boundary off my bat came when I was on 14, i late cut it through gully for four, that also brought up the 150, We were 152-6.3 overs later Cameron brought up his 50 with a classy off drive. while I was on 23 off 33.

whiteap7.jpg

White celebrates his 50

From there Cameron played the moxt exciting innings. There were 2 play and misses, 2 LBW appeals, in which one was very very close. There were two noises, and it may and a debatable decision went Camerons way. The mood was in his favour and he was hitting the ball really well, and aklways picking the gaps. He ended up on 86 off only 50 balls, a stunnings knock by anyones standerds. I finished on 38 not out off 52 deliveries. Unlike Cameron i did't give anything away. I had no chances at all, no play and misses, and no Lbw appeals or anything.

interview in next update

Last edited:
I was sitting there, watching Cameron White being interviewed and given the MOTM prizes. Suddenly an official came over to me and asked if I wanted to be interviewed. This was music to my ears and I was ecstatic. I accepted and was told that I was on in 5 minutes. I quickly tidied myself up and put on a better shirt. Before I knew it, I was standing next to the most famous cricket commentator, Richie Benaud.

Spurwithrichie.jpg

Spurway with Banaud

Ritchie.gif
Hi Sam, how are you, congratulations on your innings.

Spurway.gif
I'm very well Richie, and thanks.

Ritchie.gif
So We'll have a look at your wagon wheel after this interview. I would like to know, as this was you debut one-day match, were you nervous at all during or after you innings?

Spurway.gif
No, I?m not the type of guy to get jibbers before a game. I like to stay calm, and I tried my hardest not to let pressure get to me on my first game.

Ritchie.gif
But you must be aware that soon Somerset will have a full squad of 3 wicketkeepers, and they have a policy to keep only two in the squad. When Gazzard and Kieswetter return, where will that leave you? What are you going to have to do to earn a place in this team?

Spurway.gif
I know what I have to do to stay in this team, and I believe that it will go a little something like what happened today. I am going to prove myself to the coach and selectors, and not be the one who is moved down.

Ritchie.gif
That?s a very nice attitude towards things, Is age and experience big in Somerset, does it matter if you are 40 or 20?

Spurway.gif
Well, usually no, but experience can play a huge part on the field. You wouldn?t pack the off-side with fielders who don?t know what they?re doing would you? You spread it out so everyone helps each other out.

Ritchie.gif
One last thing before you have to do PowerAde Fan zone, is there any tension between yourself and other players, particularly the other two ?keepers?

Spurway.gif
No, I don?t think so, I get on very well with the lads, and I can settle in that way.

Ritchie.gif
Thanks? for your time Sam, but now you can go and answer some fans? questions.

Spurway.gif
Thanks Richie.

600_Fanzone.jpg

do you feel out of your depth playing first class cricket at your age and with your experiance?

No not at all, as I said, I get on really well with the lads and things are going great for me. Being out of my depth would mean that I don't feel ready to play first-class cricket, which is the opposite, so No I don't.

How would you have reacted if the coach had said you to go at no : 3? ( Like Pathan experimented many times for India.

Well, first I would ask him what he was smoking, and then I would have just stuck on the pads, and taken a step up to the challenge.

What milestones have you set yourself to achieve this season?

Good question. I havn't set any goals yet, but i have planned some with my coach. the obvious one is to stay in the first-team. But my real goals are: for batting; To average over 30 in all forms of cricket. For keeping; every match to average 5 byes for each 200 runs.

WagonWheelcopy.jpg

Spurway wagon wheel for today.

Is it just me. Or do Spurway and Richie look a-like?

lol.. One is young and other is old :p And fantastic works with those interview and wagon wheel stuff. :thumbs

Nice interview mate :) and wonderful wonderful Wagon Wheel :clap :clap. Thats the best i have seen in this forums and you gave a perfect 3D look to it :hpraise.

Nice interview mate :) and wonderful wonderful Wagon Wheel :clap :clap. Thats the best i have seen in this forums and you gave a perfect 3D look to it :hpraise.

Thank you very very much, i don't see many 3d wgons wheel anymore.

Is it just me. Or do Spurway and Richie look a-like?

I think it's their noses they both have strage noses.

Thnks very much for other comments guys

Users who are viewing this thread