South Africa in Australia

IloveGilly said:
There will be no way SA can win.
Firstly a lead of 170 is just not enough to declare straight away. They'd have to make at least 80 runs to get a lead of about 250 and hope they get a few overs before lunch, but then they get about 60 overs to bowl Australia out which would be to hard and they have to avoid rain/bad light.
Maybe SA will have better luck at home.
Correct, and if bad light
comes into play, they will have to use slower bowlers, and apart from Botha, who of course, has only just taken up spin bowling anyway, they really don't have anyone who will look like taking a wicket.

Tsyrmas was it the one going on about spirit in the game? (following subs in ashes) 6th charge for McGrath in 7 years.

:D

Gilchrist said:
Correct, and if bad light
comes into play, they will have to use slower bowlers, and apart from Botha, who of course, has only just taken up spin bowling anyway, they really don't have anyone who will look like taking a wicket.
Smith and Ruldoph are handy

What the hell are the SAF's complaing about bad decisions?

As far as I am concerned both sides have had about the same amount of bad decisions go against them, SAF are no worse off than AUS are.

Well anything is possible in cricket. Result is still possible for both sides. SA getting a lead of 250 and then bowling out Aus whose batting lineup looks shakey.

Aus also could win if they could get 7 wickets by mid way from the 2nd session.

It reminds of what was once said about how teams sometimes just don't know how to win. I figure Aus would need to hand the game to SA on a platter for the result to go that way.

I think even if Australia find themselves chasing with not much time left, perhaps a onedayer-esque situation, they're perfectly geared for it, with Hayden setting up a big and patient innings, every other batsman down the line is capable of scoring quickly and can run off him. Every batsman that's in the team, but for Langer, has made a sizeable score in this series. The order looks shakier than it actually is. Hayden, Ponting and Hussey have done well and Hodge, Symonds and Gilchrist have made runs at times when they were needed. It's main trouble is it's not firing in unison, but then, if it did completely, they could probably make 500 in a day.

Hopefully SA declare looking for a result, if luck is on their side, something 250ish with 2 sessions left would be interesting.

It all boils down to how hungry GC Smith and SA players are for a win. A win would draw the series so its SA who will be pushing for a win rather than Australia who already have the series in the bag if they draw this Test. SA will have to score pretty fast, as if they are playing the slog overs in ODI match to give Australia a 250-275 target. Then, SA will have two sessions to bowl out Australia in addition to stop Australia if Australian batsmen look like chasing down the target.

In any case, the ball is in SA's court right now. The rain yesterday cost SA more than Australia. Its my opinion that SA should bat fast tomorrow and give a 250 run target in two sessions. If the Australians win then SA will lose the series 0-2. However, as of now they seem to be losing the series 0-1 anyway. A series loss is a series loss - 0-2 or 0-1 does not matter. At least by giving a sporting target and having a crack at Australian batting will give SA a chance to draw the series than losing it.

Yes, I think South Africa have to make the play now. I think even if they set Australia about 280 in 50-60 overs, the Aussies will definitely go for it. That could very much turn into a limited over-type finish, which would be exciting, and certainly improve South Africa's image as a test nation to watch.

South Africa have to go for the win. I mean Go out and smash 100odd runs and then declare. Use some ODI shots. Ther eis wickets in hand. Kallis has that quick fifty, he could do it again I guess. His elbow might disagree.

irottev said:
South Africa have to go for the win. I mean Go out and smash 100odd runs and then declare. Use some ODI shots. Ther eis wickets in hand. Kallis has that quick fifty, he could do it again I guess. His elbow might disagree.

Definately. Go push the lead to about 250 and declare just before lunch (I can't see the South Africans being braver than that). You know that Australia would at least initially go for the win and if they were to say lose 4 or 5 by the tea interval, it could be difficult to hang on to a draw on a wearing pitch. I don't think the weather/light will allow such drama though :( . Still, a draw will suffice.

SA ned to get a move on here.

Dar has no clue of the widing rule. What an idiot. Hes given Warne 2 wides which were totally legit. The umpiring gets worse and worse.

irottev said:
SA ned to get a move on here.

Dar has no clue of the widing rule. What an idiot. Hes given Warne 2 wides which were totally legit. The umpiring gets worse and worse.

I think he is doing the right thing. Bowling round the wicket and bowling well outside leg is negative bowling by Warne. If more umpires took this approach, then we would have more entertainment. But dont get me wrong, it is incredibly entertaining now.

Rules are rules. It wasn't negative it was attacking the stumps.

Anyway. Kallis selfish batting really. Good to see hes got more intent for running and inventing shots now at least. He had none this morning.

MacGill has been lucky to get the batsmen lofting him. I think Warne should go back to bowling over the wicket and toss some up like MacGil was also. I mean the field is back.

Warne bowling around the wicket on a turning pitch with footmarks is nothing new. He does this all the time. Also he is testing if SA are going to set Aus a competitive declearation. If so then SA will have to take risk which in turn means what Warne is doing now will mean he has a very good chance of getting wickets.

Good challenging total set by Smith. 287 in 76 overs. Should be a cracker of a game only if rain will not intervene. Good shots played by Pollock in the end but Kallis really needed to be more on the move.

Users who are viewing this thread