South Africa in Australia

No Haydos is. Ponting didn't have to face that swinging new ball. Ponting is just the beneficiary of Hayden and Langers hard work ;)

yeh Langers hard work:p oi yotc you going to the 20/20 tonight?

langerrox said:
yeh Langers hard work:p oi yotc you going to the 20/20 tonight?
Sure am.

Where will you be sitting?

Johan Botha reported for Chucking.

Good to see the ICC on the ball, the guy clearly chucks it.

The bold declaration by Smith wasn't quite the result he was looking for but full credit to Australia and Smith who made this a game instead of a dull draw. Once Langer was out, SA really felt they had a chance of winning. But Ponying was simply brilliant and continues his magnificent supreme form. SA have showed that they will be a tough opposition later on in the future with several youngsters such as De Villiers, Prince, Rudolph and Nel displaying they have learnt a fair amount from the series. Interesting that Ponting even admits that if rain had not intervened, then it would of been much of a tougher task and expected to chace somewhere in the vicinity of 400 . Great to see teams are catching up to Australia's standards and providing competition and can't wait till a few months time for the return tests. :D

Smith had to declare. I think what today showed is that it didn't really matter what he set and when he set it. It was going to be a win for Australia and at very worst, a draw.

Ponting was fantastic. What a way to start the year.

I really think that despite the remodelling this Aussie team still has cracks in it.
They're massively over-dependant on Warne and Mcgrath still to bowl teams out and Ponting and Hayden to put runs on the board. I know new guys like Hussey and Hodge came in and scored runs but this is definitely a team I can see getting well beaten in the return series in South Africa. 2-0 certainly isn't a fair reflection of how even the series was.
That said, all credit to Australia and especially Ricky Ponting for a great series victory.

Well really it should of been 1-0. But of course the weather had its say and that meant SA had little chance of winning and they had to do all they could to try get a drawn series.

Australia need Martyn and Gillespie back. Get them into form and get them back in.

barmyarmy said:
I really think that despite the remodelling this Aussie team still has cracks in it.
They're massively over-dependant on Warne and Mcgrath still to bowl teams out and Ponting and Hayden to put runs on the board. I know new guys like Hussey and Hodge came in and scored runs but this is definitely a team I can see getting well beaten in the return series in South Africa. 2-0 certainly isn't a fair reflection of how even the series was.
That said, all credit to Australia and especially Ricky Ponting for a great series victory.

Agree totally, the Aus team isn't what it was say a year's back and the Ashes lost was a real wake up call. Ponting still heavily relies on Warne but not particularly McGrath these days but Lee instead. Warne nowadays bowls far too many overs as many saw at the WACA. I feel Aus still have alot of work to do if they want to regain the Ashes but that could also be said to England. ATM Aussies would probably win the Ashes series but just.

If Warne and McGrath retire, than there would be a massive hole in the limeup. They have produced over 1200 wickets together and I don't see any other skillful bowlers replacing them. Their middle order is still quiestionable apart from Hussey who has cemented his spot in the team while Symonds and Hodge, there are serious questions. Gilchrist is ageing and only have a couple or so years left and that could also be said to Hayden and Langer. They both have about 3-4 years remaining. Once massive improvement for Aus is Brett Lee. He still can be expensive and erratic but not is one of the most dangerous bowlers in the world.

The series I felt should of been 1-1 as both teams played well at times and played rather poorly at other times. I think SA can win the return series only if they can hold on to their catches and keep searching for a comptent spin bowler. Perhaps bringing Paul Adams back :D

Sando said:
But why would Australia pursue an unlikely 300 at about 5 runs an over when the series was already in the bag. Sure they love to win, but to track down 300 in 60 overs on the last day of a Test match would involve alot of risk...

The fact was South Africa had to win, so they had to give themselves enough overs to do the job. I couldn't see that South African attack knocking over the Australians on that pitch in anything under 70-75 overs. South Africa play a very negative brand of Test cricket, and that is what prevented them making a declaration to their advantage. I'm actually surprised they didn't keep batting and play for a draw....

edit: I think Ponting is the only player to have make a ton in each innings of his 100th Test match.
Because Australia is the kinda team that will go for a 2-0 verdict instead of a 1-0 verdict, if they have a sniff of it.

Users who are viewing this thread