South Africa in England July-Sept 2012

Dabi

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If I were Smith I'd have the batsmen accelerating throughout the afternoon session and look to declare at tea regardless of the score. They might push 250-300 if they get a move on, England could probably do with more delaying tactics. I can't believe Bopara has bowled 14 overs, or indeed Trott and Pietersen bowling overs - 19 overs for 72 runs I think, 4 an over with only occaisional threat.

If South Africa can win batting once they need to bowl England out for under 300-350 and have time to do so. Since they will use up valuable time getting that far in front I think they have to gamble they can take every chance, get everything go for them, and bowl England out for 270 or less.

Crux is they need to take 10 wickets to win, or bowl England out if someone is injured and can't bat, so need to have enough time to give them the best chance of doing so. Any batting South Africa do from here on in needs to be ODI speed. England will be as happy as they can be if still in the field post-tea, time is their potential saviour and enemy of the saffers

While I agree with you in that they should declare around tea (maybe 5-10 overs later) I don't think they will give England more than 100 overs to bat. Modern captains are defensive like that and I just feel that Smith would that psychological advantage of 300.
Although Smith did declare around 280 in Australia, that was when he was young and brash and the loss would only serve to remind him that he would want atleast 300.

S

Satan666

Congrats to Hashim Amla on becoming the first South African to score a triple century, all the best Hashim on breaking the batting record currently held by the living legend, the best batsman of his generation Brian Lara, 400.

----------

There's no way England should get bowled out for under 300 on this pitch but you never know.

This SAfrican bowling unit is the best Ive seen since the great AUS sides of recent times, English batting is strong but the Proteas I think can take them down here either way lets hope it doesnt turn out to be a draw.

Owzat

International Coach
While I agree with you in that they should declare around tea (maybe 5-10 overs later) I don't think they will give England more than 100 overs to bat. Modern captains are defensive like that and I just feel that Smith would that psychological advantage of 300.

Although Smith did declare around 280 in Australia, that was when he was young and brash and the loss would only serve to remind him that he would want atleast 300.

South Africa have only batted once, England would unlikely declare and try to bowl them out, and it is highly unlikely England would be bowled out for say 260-290 and South Africa not make any runs needed to win ie the chances of England being bowled out for under 300 and South Africa being bowled out for the 1st innings deficit or less are remote.

The odds of South Africa losing from here are astronomic

----------

I am somewhat bemused by using Bopara, going at over four an over when England surely want to slow the rate down. Unless he is taking 6-7 minutes per over, which at his pace I highly doubt, then he is just aiding the South African run rate. It is not like a wicket threat is going to slow them down much.

And people say Strauss is useless beyond his captaincy, his captaincy here is baffling.

Owzat

International Coach
252 ahead at tea, about the 250 I said it would be.

If South Africa do go back out to bat then they have to add 30+ runs absolute minimum or it will be a complete waste of valuable time. IF they do decide to bat on then they have to make it 20-30 mins and all out havoc, but wicket losses etc could just waste more time so why not gain 10 minutes for the turnaround?

I wouldn't enforce the follow on 252 ahead, unless time were a factor, so same principle applies here. Personally I don't think South Africa can force the win, but England are unlikely to score about the 330 in four sessions to remotely test South Africa, they will be focused wholly on survival. In the unlikely event England are say 330/3 at tea tomorrow then we'll be looking at shaking hands and chase abandoned at the earliest possible moment.

Dabi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
South Africa have only batted once, England would unlikely declare and try to bowl them out, and it is highly unlikely England would be bowled out for say 260-290 and South Africa not make any runs needed to win ie the chances of England being bowled out for under 300 and South Africa being bowled out for the 1st innings deficit or less are remote.

The odds of South Africa losing from here are astronomic

----------

I am somewhat bemused by using Bopara, going at over four an over when England surely want to slow the rate down. Unless he is taking 6-7 minutes per over, which at his pace I highly doubt, then he is just aiding the South African run rate. It is not like a wicket threat is going to slow them down much.

And people say Strauss is useless beyond his captaincy, his captaincy here is baffling.

I didn't mean he would have any fear of losing. I meant he would want a score which England can't surpass so that if England are 30-40 ahead with lets say 4 wickets in hand, he wouldn't have to worry about keep the scoring down as well finish off the tail.
But seems he's done the smart thing and has decided to let his bowlers have a go!

----------

I think he was just using Ravi Bopara because his frontline bowlers were beyond tired and they still have potentially 4 more innings to bowl in.
I don't think it was a tactical choice (Bopara and Trott), more likely just giving his main men a rest!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Very well batted South Africa. Amazing to only lose 2 wickets.
Will give England confidence to draw this game but batting under pressure has been an issue in recent times.

Owzat

International Coach
I think I said earlier that get the two key wickets and who knows, and both Cook and Trott are his-to-ry. Uphill battle from here.

On the declaration, completely the correct decision given only TWELVE wickets fell in 3.67 days of cricket. I'd like to say I can't believe Yawn said he would have batted on, but he was a sheight captain and maybe more will recognise it. He would have likely missed out on 2+ wickets and be regretting it as the game petered out into a draw. The guy won two series of note, the Ashes through the abilities of his bowlers WAY more than his captaincy. Jones and Flintoff were key, once Yawn himself injured Jones by enfarcing the following on England struggled to see out the match and series as a win.

I'd just throw on spinners at KP if I were Smith, set a decent field and lure KP into throwing his wicket away. Obviously Smith can't afford to let KP race to 50+ runs quickly, but if South Africa can get England 3-4 down by the close then no doubt England will send out Anderson and I think they may as well wave the white flag if that scenario prevails.

Strauss holds the key for me, capable of playing a long hundred. I think in order the saviours could be Strauss, Bell, Trott, Prior then Bopara. I will however LMFAO if Bopara saves the day, the scene is set for it. Just think KP will try to dominate the bowlers instead of knuckling down for the team.

Typical BBC website, lots of non-live stories and the cricket reaching a climax not even on the homepage

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
KP's innings seemed as if he was taking the piss on the England selectors (you know why..).

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Their first win at the Oval as well. Played 13, Won 0, Lost 6, Drawn 7 prior to this encounter.

Also England's first loss with Bresnan in their playing XI. Finn for the second test, then?

----------

How's the weather tomorrow? :D

Users who are viewing this thread