South African Tour of India 2010

This is not an issue of politics :doh. Seriously, the politics excuse is getting stale. Not everything is political (with a negative connotation, that is). It's a wonderful idea to rotate the grounds used, it just hasn't panned out as expected. It's great in theory, just not so great in practice.

Seriously ,Oh yeah Eden doesn't getting that much matches because of the issue between Dalmia and Pawar isn't political.:sarcasm

This is not an issue of politics :doh. Seriously, the politics excuse is getting stale. Not everything is political (with a negative connotation, that is). It's a wonderful idea to rotate the grounds used, it just hasn't panned out as expected. It's great in theory, just not so great in practice.

Its not even great in theory. You can have all the ODI cricket and T20 cricket wherever you want and rotate the venues as much as you like but Test cricket has a lot to do with tradition and hence must be kept to the bigger venues.

Playing test cricket at Mohali, Nagpur and Ahmedabad is like Australia scheduling big home tests at the Manuka Oval or Darwin.

aditya123 added 11 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

The BCCI are not quick enough to realize which centres provide the best crowds for test cricket. Nagpur, Ahmedabad, etc should be really removed as test centres. Some say Mohali should be done too, but Mohali has probably the most sporting wicket in the country. Maybe Mohali should only host games with top sides like Australia and South Africa.

I am pretty sure that test cricket will really do well in India if tests are scheduled only in the big centres.

I only remember test cricket being played at big venues during the 90s, when I started watcing cricket. I don`t remember Nagpur hosting test matches then or a lot of tests being played at Ahmedabad (remember India winning a famous test against SA there in 1996/7).
1997 - SA in India (Venues : Ahmedabad, Eden Gardens, Kanpur)
1998 - Australia in India (Venues : Chennai, Eden Gardens, Bangalore)
1999- Pakistan in India (Venues : Chennai, Delhi, Eden Gardens)
2001- Australia in India (Venues : Mumbai, Eden Gardens, Chennai)
2002 - England in India (Venues : Mohali,Ahmedabad(old),Bangalore)
2005- Pakistan in India (Venues: Mohali, Eden Gardens, Bangalore)

The above list would show you that major centers did host a lot of test cricket starting mid 90s to early 2000s. For some odd reason, the BCCI decided to start hosting more games at Ahmedabad, Mohali and Nagpur since the late 2000s and we get small crowds as a result. I`m not against these 3 centers getting games but let them not host ther really big test series. It was painful watching Tendulkar go past Lara in front of 100 school children or India regaining the BG Trophy in front of an empty Nagpur stadium. If you can`t fill stadia for these games, you don`t deserve test cricket.

Also don`t forget that the matches I listed about played in Nagpur and Ahmedabad were at the old venues where the attendance was a lot better.

The above list would show you that major centers did host a lot of test cricket starting mid 90s to early 2000s. For some odd reason, the BCCI decided to start hosting more games at Ahmedabad, Mohali and Nagpur since the late 2000s and we get small crowds as a result. I`m not against these 3 centers getting games but let them not host ther really big test series. It was painful watching Tendulkar go past Lara in front of 100 school children or India regaining the BG Trophy in front of an empty Nagpur stadium. If you can`t fill stadia for these games, you don`t deserve test cricket.

Also don`t forget that the matches I listed about played in Nagpur and Ahmedabad were at the old venues where the attendance was a lot better.
Remember it not all about crowds. Pitch also plays important role to host matches. You can't play at Kotla just because they have full house but have a terrible pitch. So Mohali has one of the best pitch India has produced so you will not play at Mohali just because of half house :doh. If India continues to play on those ground which have terrible pitch but full house will be hilarious. If Test matches need to live in India then they need both pitches and crowds and not just crowds.

If you're gonna have six test matches a season, hold em at:

Bangalore
Chennai
Delhi
Kolkata
Mumbai

and then rotate the sixth one. You could even have two in Mumbai.

BTW A small proof to why I hate Ishant
Cricinfo Awards 2009
WORST ECONOMY RATE

Ishant Sharma
In 153.5 overs, Ishant Sharma leaked 969 runs, an economy rate of 6.29. He was the only bowler to concede more than a run per ball. Ashish Nehra was close, with an economy rate of 5.92.

Last edited:
^ Begs the question about leaving out Irfan when he offers much more on plate than Ishant does.

Oh I misunderstood :p but I think it was Indian bowlers who force SA to make mistakes.(Remember Ishant Bouncer Over in 1st innings) As SA don't make mistakes after scoring 600+ in previous match, do they?

Going to be interesting to see what side we pick tomorrow. This would be my lineup:

1.Pietersen
2.Amla
3.Kallis
4.AB
5.Gibbs
6.Duminy/Boucher(If bouch is fit he plays)
7.A.Morkel
8.Botha/Van der merwe
9.Parnell
10.Steyn
11.M.Morkel

If the pitch is a really turner both spinners play and m.morkel misses out. Selectors will go for bosman ahead of gibbs though.

Users who are viewing this thread