South African Tour of India 2010

Kaif is rescuing Central Zone right now,standing tall among ruins.Maybe he has an outside chance at this one.

Neither of them are decent choices. Raina against Steyn and co at Nagpur (Nagpur is a pitch with good bounce and carry)? Rohit Sharma is also a poor choice. Both are not ready for test cricket.

Ideally, it should be a race between these four - Virat Kohli, Subramaniam Badrinath, Cheteshwar Pujara and Manish Pandey

Nope, sorry. Ideally, Rahane has to be in the race. He's a run machine. Pujara probably won't make it because he didn't play much FC cricket this season. Only 8 innings in 5 matches. Badrinath has also only played 7 innings in 6 matches but that probably doesn't matter because thankfully, Kris Srikkanth seems to have at least some belief in him. Pandey played 14 innings in 9 matches so he's not only in good form, but he's played quite a bit. However, I doubt he will make his debut in test cricket before ODI cricket. Contradicting my original point, while Ajinkya Rahane is in the race, I think the battle is between Virat Kohli and Subramaniam Badrinath. Virat Kohli already has international experience and is highly rated by his teammates while Subramaniam Badrinath has been selected in the test squad quite a few times without playing. He hasn't had a chance to play because of Ganguly and now Yuvraj but this is his opening and he might get a shot now.

Last edited:
UV most likely will be sitting out for this series due to a hand injury. Geez, he has had hand/finger injuries quite frequently in the recent past.Wonder what his hands have been upto:spy

I want to see Murli Vijay into the Test in the middle order for This Series

I'm going to guess that Virat Kohli will get the missing spot. While Badri fans can scream statistics and logic, I don't see us going with a bloke who's had tons of FC success but not so much international success with a youngster who has proved it on the international stage (albeit in ODI's and against moderate opposition). I think Laxman will be fit by the SA tests, given that he's stayed behind in Bangladesh whereas the likes of Sree and Dravid flew/are planning to fly back. So I guess our line-up will look something like this:

Sehwag
Gambhir
Laxman
Tendulkar
Vijay
Kohli/Karthik
Dhoni

Alternatively, Dhoni may even elect to play 5 bowlers, although he'd probably only resort to that if the pitches were flat as hell.

How about this?

Sehwag
Gambhir
Laxman
Sachin
Kaif
Vijay
Pathan
Mishra/Ohja
Harbhajan
Ishant
Zak

Who will Keep ^^???? And No Dravid.. No Dhoni... also 5 Bowler's... Rubbish Do not dream so as Kaif's career is gone..and difficult time for pathan to enter

Oops forgot Dhoni lol

Sehwag
Gambhir
Vijay
Sachin
Laxman
Kaif
Dhoni
Mishra/Ohja
Harbhajan
Ishant
Zak

I'm going to guess that Virat Kohli will get the missing spot. While Badri fans can scream statistics and logic, I don't see us going with a bloke who's had tons of FC success but not so much international success with a youngster who has proved it on the international stage (albeit in ODI's and against moderate opposition).

Well he hasn't been given many chances now has he...

In his debut match, a low scoring where we were chasing around 140 iirc, we were in tons of trouble after losing quick wickets. Badri steered the boat home - vs Murali and a magical Mendis on Sri Lankan tracks - with a crucial 20-odd not out. Very unfair to say he hasn't had international success as he hasn't had many opportunities anyways.

I don't think Laxman will be fit for the first test. I reckon Murali Vijay will get a spot as he seems to be our go to guy for injuries and such.

Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Subramanium Badrinath
Sachin Tendulkar
Murali Vijay
Virat Kohli/Dinesh Karthik
MS Dhoni
Mishra/Ojha
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Ishant

Sree could get a call if fit, he's had success vs SA.

Will they think of bringing back Irfan for the test series considering that he is an allrounder (gives us the luxury of playing 5 bowlers)? How is Irfan doing in domestic cricket? I followed a game where he did extremely well but that was some time back.

Will they think of bringing back Irfan for the test series considering that he is an allrounder (gives us the luxury of playing 5 bowlers)? How is Irfan doing in domestic cricket? I followed a game where he did extremely well but that was some time back.

Batting: In 5 matches (9 innings) he scored 397 runs at an average of 49.62 with 4 fifties at a strike rate of 81.51, with a highes score of 81.

Bowling: In 5 matches (8 innings) he took 22 wickets at an average of 18.54 in 115.5 overs with a BBI of 4/35.

Batting: In 5 matches (9 innings) he scored 397 runs at an average of 49.62 with 4 fifties at a strike rate of 81.51, with a highes score of 81.

Bowling: In 5 matches (8 innings) he took 22 wickets at an average of 18.54 in 115.5 overs with a BBI of 4/35.

Thats not bad at all. In fact his bowling figures look very good (esp. that average). We know how he can bat, especially on Indian wickets. Maybe it wont be a bad idea to reconsider him (he is experienced too).

I am quite keen to know the outcome of the selection meeting on 28th where the team for the first test will be selected. Wanna see the outcome of Dravid-Laxman-Yuvraj's injury and the guys who might get picked as replacement. Exciting times, might be an indication of India's future. Debuting against SA anywhere is challenging, and I hope some good new guy gets the chance.

Last edited:
Well he hasn't been given many chances now has he...

In his debut match, a low scoring where we were chasing around 140 iirc, we were in tons of trouble after losing quick wickets. Badri steered the boat home - vs Murali and a magical Mendis on Sri Lankan tracks - with a crucial 20-odd not out. Very unfair to say he hasn't had international success as he hasn't had many opportunities anyways.
Don't cry to me, I'm on Badri's side. But it's not going to happen. If he can't make it into a Bangladesh squad, it's obvious that to the selectors he is quite far behind in the pecking order, if he is in it at all.

Don't cry to me, I'm on Badri's side. But it's not going to happen. If he can't make it into a Bangladesh squad, it's obvious that to the selectors he is quite far behind in the pecking order, if he is in it at all.

I am guessing that Dravid and Yuvraj's injury could be a blessing in disguise for him. He has not found favor with selectors in recent times but there is nothing to suggest that there are any other players above him in the pecking order of the selectors. Kohli did well in the few games in ODI's but so did Raina and Rohit Sharma who have had good ODI games. If we have to fill two spots, Badri might grab one. I WISH!!!

Give him a chance to fail in international cricket. Atleast let us know that this guy is not fit for international cricket by seeing him fail in it. His current domestic form might not be greater than others, but he deserves the spot more than anyone else (due to the sheer weightage of his performances before in domestic level).

Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Subramanium Badrinath
Sachin Tendulkar
Murali Vijay
Virat Kohli/Dinesh Karthik
MS Dhoni
Mishra/Ojha
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Ishant

Sree could get a call if fit, he's had success vs SA.

Hmmm, honestly, I think Vijay will play at no. 3 and Badri at no. 5, if they both do get selected.

Anyway, Vijay is an obvious pick and Badri should be next in line really. If you're looking at the guys who put runs in the domestic season this year, you'll have to look at Manish Pandey or Ajinkya Rahane. However, I do think Kohli should be picked if there's a starting spot. If it's just for backup, I'd like to see Pandey/Rahane picked just for the experience, especially if either of their teams loses in the Duleep Trophy semis that just started.

Users who are viewing this thread