South African Tour of India 2010

I don't think a turner should really trouble SA cause they've got some fantastic players of spin like Smith (When he's really playing well), Kallis, Amla. De Villiers and Boucher.

Duminy is also a very good player against any type of bowling but I don't know why he's struggling so much off late.

Also Indians are not as good players of spin as they were before, and also Harbhajan is so woefully out of form that he might not buy wickets easily even on a rank turner.

Also Indians are not as good players of spin as they were before, and also Harbhajan is so woefully out of form that he might not buy wickets easily even on a rank turner.

Bring out the seamer friendly track, I say. I`m pretty sure Zak and Sree will be a handful on a seamer friendly track. Also, we (in fact any batting lineup) are prone to collapse against a good fast bowling spell like the one from Steyn at Nagpur. Might as well give some help to our seamers who need it from the pitch.

I have said it again and again in many threads. It is no coincidence that we have registered big wins at places like Nottingham, Jo`burg, Perth, Jamaica, Galle, Hamilton in the past few years. All those occasions we had the pitch giving some help to our seamers and they relished it. Its time we start making pitches like those in India because our seamers do not have the raw pace of Steyn but could be quite potent when the conditions help them. It would in a sense neutralize the huge advantage that raw pace of Steyn gives to the SAffers.

Bring out the seamer friendly track, I say. I`m pretty sure Zak and Sree will be a handful on a seamer friendly track. Also, we (in fact any batting lineup) are prone to collapse against a good fast bowling spell like the one from Steyn at Nagpur. Might as well give some help to our seamers who need it from the pitch.

I have said it again and again in many threads. It is no coincidence that we have registered big wins at places like Nottingham, Jo`burg, Perth, Jamaica, Galle, Hamilton in the past few years. All those occasions we had the pitch giving some help to our seamers and they relished it. Its time we start making pitches like those in India because our seamers do not have the raw pace of Steyn but could be quite potent when the conditions help them. It would in a sense neutralize the huge advantage that raw pace of Steyn gives to the SAffers.

I completely agree with you. If we got to breed good fast bowlers, they need assistance from the pitch and more such pitches should be encouraged. Infact we can have a better shot at No. 1 if we play on pitches that are good sporting wickets.

I agree with all the posts above, either way Dale Steyn is going to eat us alive. We might as well fight fire with fire and produce some seamer friendly wickets.

Also we've only got a spinner who is in the team because of his patrioism and his name. We need some people who actually spin the ball, I though Mishra was unlucky. We need to get Chawla back in the frame and get Ojha back in.

Last edited:
I agree with all the posts above, either way Dale Steyn is going to eat us alive. We might as well fight fire with fire and produce some seamer friendly wickets.

Thats a bit over-exaggeration. I think we can play Steyn better than what we did at Nagpur. In the second innings, he wasnt as effective as he was in the first one. Also in the first innings, we sort of went on a procession mode where we just gave up our wickets. In the second innings, we applied ourselves better and so Steyn ended up with just 3 wickets. He is not a terrorising fast bowler or of that sort. He is a very good bowler, but we can face them and do well against him.

he wasnt as effective as he was in the first one.

The guy bowled for two straight days. He was bound to be tired out. You could see in that opening spell on the fourth day, he was somewhat stiff.

Fatal Shot added 8 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Have you seen Suresh Raina try to take on a short ball? He will get eaten alive by Steyn. Jadeja is barely holding on to a OD spot, no way is he test material yet. Our next generation of test batsman, barring the openers and Kohli, are all domestic stalwarts. Badrinath,Vijay, Rahane, Pujara, Tiwary...etc

Jadeja is a genuine all-rounder. His left arm bowling is way better than a part-timers. India would do well to develop him. Plus he seems a very sensible player. Doesn't play too many rash shots, and has a good head on his shoulders. India would do good, to develop him into a batsman who can be more than handy with the ball.

I still don`t think they`ll go in with 3 seamers though. We have got stuck within the conventional mindset of two spinners in the subcontinent even though they`d end up being a liability.

aditya123 added 1 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

I agree with Fatal Shot, Jadeja is actually a decent bet as a left-arm spinner. I`d bet on him picking up more wickets than Bhajji at the moment and would enable us to play the third seamer with Jadeja as the second spinner.

India should definately go into the Kolkatta test with 3 spinners.

That's not his role. His role is to tie up an end and give the three quicks the chance to attack from the other end. He fullfills this role wel 90% of the time.
Yeah, I understand that, which is why I said the strategy can't be faulted. It just makes for a bit of a joke when a spin bowler comes in and bowls six out of six balls outside leg-stump when his team is up by an innings and 200+ runs. I understand that he didn't really need to do anything else since South Africa basically had to wait it out, but it didn't make for very good cricket, from a viewer's perspective.

I'm hoping Harbhajan Singh gets injured... that seems like the only way we'll pick a decent bowler in his place.

A spinning pitch may not be all that bad an idea, given that Harris is basically going to be bowling down the leg side.

I'm hoping Harbhajan Singh gets injured... that seems like the only way we'll pick a decent bowler in his place.

A spinning pitch may not be all that bad an idea, given that Harris is basically going to be bowling down the leg side.

JP is a decent turner of the ball though.

Speaking of JP Duminy, I reckon Sehwag could do a better job than Harbhajan ATM. Playing 3 seamers in Zak, Ishant and Sreesanth and Mishra as the lone spinner with Sehwag backing im up wouldn't be bad.

Better still, get Ojha in and Harbhajan out. :banana2

Users who are viewing this thread