South African Tour of India 2010

India should definately go into the Kolkatta test with 3 spinners.

If the curator's words are to be believed, its not going to be a rank turner first of all. And if thats true, 3 spinners would be too much of a luxury. Sehwag is a good enough spinner for the third spinner role along with Harbhajan and Mishra (no way Harbhajan will be dropped). We wont play 5 bowlers so having three spinners is just impossible (we have to open with a spinner then, which would be horrible as we dont have a Ganguly anymore)

Nagpur pitch was a turner as well and we all know what happened there.

If the curator's words are to be believed, its not going to be a rank turner first of all. And if thats true, 3 spinners would be too much of a luxury. Sehwag is a good enough spinner for the third spinner role along with Harbhajan and Mishra (no way Harbhajan will be dropped). We wont play 5 bowlers so having three spinners is just impossible (we have to open with a spinner then, which would be horrible as we dont have a Ganguly anymore)

Well if Kolkatta indeed wont be raging turner, i agree picking 3-spinners wont be the best idea. But at the same time, IND would have missed a trick by not preparing a raging turner. Preparing a raging turner is IND uitlising home advantange for a key test.

Plus i've seen IND play 3-spinners before & it wasn't horrible. The 2004 tests vs Australia & South Africa @ Mumbai & Nagpur respectively. Nothing wrong with opening the bowling with a spinner.

Speaking of JP Duminy, I reckon Sehwag could do a better job than Harbhajan ATM. Playing 3 seamers in Zak, Ishant and Sreesanth and Mishra as the lone spinner with Sehwag backing im up wouldn't be bad.

Better still, get Ojha in and Harbhajan out. :banana2

Ishant still? Time for a change, bring in Tyagi.

What a farce from the selectors though. They dropped the bowlers who were sitting on the bench while the guys on the field leaked 550+ runs.

Bring Jumbo back:p... Old man is still way way better than Bhajji.....:hpraise:hpraise

Bring Jumbo back:p... Old man is still way way better than Bhajji.....:hpraise:hpraise

That would be a knee jerk reaction and completely unnecessary. We are not in such a bad position to ask a spinner to come back from retirement. And Kumble is no Warne and we are not that desperate! Ojha, Chawla, etc should be given chances instead of this 'Bhajji'.

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Nagpur pitch was a turner as well and we all know what happened there.

Nagpur had slow turn. A 'turner' is a pitch where you see that 'biting' turn that makes it almost unplayable.

Nagpur had slow turn. A 'turner' is a pitch where you see that 'biting' turn that makes it almost unplayable.

It was still turning square. Do you guys want Mumbai 2004? :p

Strange what some cricketing nations are resorting to...they either prepare pitches which are so flat that you can hardly bowl on them or make them so crumbled that you can hardly bat on them.

India must be the one place where there is total disregard for having a fair balance between bat and ball...its absolutely disgraceful. But i guess desperate times call for those sorts of harsh actions. The funny thing is, if India do prepare a pitch that "bites" to make it almost impossible to bat on, and SA wins the toss....then India is screwed again lol

In the end I think Dhoni just prepares for winning the toss and batting...if he doesnt he has no plan B.

Strange what some cricketing nations are resorting to...they either prepare pitches which are so flat that you can hardly bowl on them or make them so crumbled that you can hardly bat on them.

India must be the one place where there is total disregard for having a fair balance between bat and ball...its absolutely disgraceful. But i guess desperate times call for those sorts of harsh actions. The funny thing is, if India do prepare a pitch that "bites" to make it almost impossible to bat on, and SA wins the toss....then India is screwed again lol

In the end I think Dhoni just prepares for winning the toss and batting...if he doesnt he has no plan B.

Too simple, isnt it? India lost in Nagpur because we didnt bowl well. Simple as that! In a test match, the toss doesnt make a big difference that it does in ODI's or T20's. The best team invariably wins and SA won the first test. I am quite confident that Dhoni doesnt go into every game hoping to win the toss and bat first and that he doesnt have a Plan B or whatever in place.

I don't like curators creating dustbowls or turners but the way you are crying about it is just ridiculous. Remember, both teams would play on the same pitch okay.
Don't say that SAF are poor spin players thats why indians would get unfair advantage. Does this mean indians should cry when they tour SAF and SAF creates green pitches?? Absolute garbage:facepalm
And tbh, turner might be more helpful for SAF than india coz indian spinners aren't in any sort of form. Moreover only Sachin and Gambhir are two players in this lineup who can play spin well while SAF has kallis,amla,devilliers and duminy.

Each country can prepare a pitch they think gives them the best chance of winning. I got no problems with India making a pitch that will spin miles. Only problem I have is countries preparing really flat pitches which seems to be a trend these days.

Moreover only Sachin and Gambhir are two players in this lineup who can play spin well while SAF has kallis,amla,devilliers and duminy.

:doh

TumTum added 5 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

SAF would get eaten alive in a raging turner. It doesn't matter if India have lost some players, they are naturally gifted when playing spin, especially against a bowler like Harris.

However Harbhajan can cause real problems if the pitch starts gripping.

Each country can prepare a pitch they think gives them the best chance of winning. I got no problems with India making a pitch that will spin miles. Only problem I have is countries preparing really flat pitches which seems to be a trend these days.
What he said.

It should be within reason, can't have a pitch that is unplayable where both teams only get 50. Don't mind if India produces those massive turners though, that is what they are known for, just keep very very far away from the roads we have been seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread