South African Tour of India 2010

I completely agree with you.

In my opinion

Gambhir : Failed in this but might just be a morning alarm for next test much
Sehwag : Played his natural innings
Tendulkar : Brilliant Batting In Second Innings Firs Innings Probably Steyn Was Better
Badrinath : Well played first innings but not second, Might not perform under pressure
Dhoni : First innings unlucky second innings BULLSH*T. He had to play some strokes which could yield some runs an if that would have happend then lower contribution might have just given us at least 100 run lead.
Saha : First innings not his mistake, Steyn in spell of life, Second innings well played gentlemen
Singh - Epic Fail
Mishra - Unlucky But sore loser in the end
Zak - Please learn something from Proteas
Ishant - No Comments Epic Fail since 2007 debut against Bangladesh

I think Sree will take his place and Raina might take place of Saha.

But in my view Wasim Jaffer should have been called up. He is best form and best suited for this format

Wow. That is a horrid analysis in some points. Badrinath's first innings knock was under pressure, and he has consistently delivered under pressure in domestic matches. Zaheer Khan has been bowling on sub continent pitches, yet been very effective. "Please learn something from Proteas" is extremely harsh against Zak, when he was our only effective bowler in this match.

Jaffer? Tried and tested. He has weaknesses that have been continually exploited at international level. Coming to the replacements...Raina? Not the best choice given the resources we have. Pujara/Rahane/Nayar/Pandey are all better suited to the longer version of the game. In fact, Parvinder Singh has been better the last two season in terms of crucial knocks and pretty sure he out scored Raina this season and was UP's best batsman. Karthik? Great. I rate him better than Saha. Sreesanth? Brilliant on his day, rubbish when it's not. His bad days happen more often though, but I guess he's better than Ishant.

Ishant Sharma and Harbhajan have to be dropped. I really don't get why Tyagi/Mithun were dropped. These past 12 months have hampered Tyagi's development a lot imo. He's just hung around in the team and played like one ODI (I think) in that time period. Missed this whole domestic First Class season. Mithun is the in-form domestic bowler, gets bounce on any pitch, really don't see why you'd not take a gamble with him. I'd have dropped Harbhajan and called up Piyush Chawla too, at least Piyush has improved.

This Indian team just performed badly as a unit, but they can and should bounce back. You can see how important Gambhir is. Didn't perform here. Vijay and Badrinath should be given another shot. Vijay needs to convert some of the starts he gets. Looks fabulous at times. Badri played well enough for his first match against a brilliant SAfrican bowling performance.

I'm kind of sad to say that this might be Duminy's last chance. If he doesn't do anything, it might be time to bring in Elgar, and move Prince back to the middle order. Even if Duminy does well, we still should bring Elgar in. He's been rampant during the domestic season, and deserves a call up, especially with Prince being so reluctant to the role. It's not fair on Prince either.

I think they will stick with jp like they did with jk and ab. Prince is in more trouble than JP. Also his bowling helps him out.

A short post-mortem for now:

1. South Africa outplayed us in all departments. Steyn was magical in the first innings and coming back from that big a deficit is never easy.

2. It was good exposure for our young batsmen. While some may put an asterisk on the South African victory because we were missing Dravid and Laxman, consider the fact that the South African batting line-up features basically one stalwart--Kallis. This is the South African side that is going to be playing for years to come, and if the future Indian side cannot match up to them then we're going to go down the rankings quick. That said, I'm glad these guys could make their debuts while the likes of Tendulkar are still around. While Badri, Vijay and Saha did not have spectacular games, they definitely showed some strengths. With experience, I think they'll learn to play to certain situations. This was definitely the most dire of situations to make a debut in--bowlers having been an epic fail and top order crumbling. It can only get easier for them, from here.

3. Our bowlers need a kick up their backside. Harbhajan needs to be given an ultimatum as he has sucked for a while, now.

4. I was disappointed with the way Harris approached his task yesterday. While he can't be faulted since it worked to perfection, I'd have liked to see Smith attack with him a bit more rather than just wait for the wickets to fall. Ah well, can't fault his strategy for winning.

Someone said Badrinath is past his peak. WHAT? His display in the first innings showed he is nowhere near scaling his peak and that he is well suited to scale it if he is given more opportunities. I dont think Badri can be dropped after this game. So is Vijay! Both played well. Saha batted well too but it came for him a little too late. Saha is definitely there for our future. I wanted to see his wicketkeeping but stupid Dhoni kept the gloves only for himself completely and didnt give a taste of it to Saha. I am optimistic about our batting future. Its just that the guys need to be blooded while the stalwarts are still there, and prosper in their guidance (its not enough for them to just stay on bench, they need to play out there and get guidance)

I am guessing that Raina has been brought in as cover should Laxman or anyone else not recover from the injury (just like Rohit Sharma). Probably similar with Dinesh Karthik too. Throwing in Raina in the second test against a rampaging SA with the series and the No.1 spot in the line is an even bigger risk than playing Badri and Saha in the first test and Raina is technically worser than the other two and is not an ideal test selection (Pujara, Kohli, Pandey, Rahane, etc are all better options). The only two changes that I see of the lineup is

W Saha -> VVS Laxman/D Karthik
I Sharma -> S Sreesanth

The offie will retain his spot due to his 39 and his record at Eden Gardens (I said it sarcastically, but people are already talking about it seriously:D).

Last edited:
Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
VVS Laxman
Sachin Tendulkar
Subramanium Badrinath
Murali Vijay
MS Dhoni
Zaheer Khan
S Sreesanth
Murali Kartik*
Sudeep Tyagi*

* not in the squad. I say screw 2 spinners and go with another quick. Viru/Sachin/Badri should be fine for the other spinner. Not like the pitches are helping much anyways. If we play on a minefield, it'll end up backfiring as our guys can't bowl on them anyways. :sarcasm

Tyagi's height can prove to be dangerous. I can't believe we dropped him. Bring back Kartik. He's aggressive, gets wickets, and has a fighter's attitude. He was dropped after a 6fer, a man of the match performance, against of all teams Australia. He has 15 seasons of cricket under his belt and is the most experienced spinner in the country.

Come on, guys. We are looking too far ahead. In test match cricket, you pick the best 11 players in the country, not someone who will maybe blossom into an alright player down the road. That 'experimentation' is meant for the OD scene.

Last edited:
I dont think they will ever pick Murali Kartik again. I dont know why Tyagi and Mithun were brought in and then thrown out. Its a big comedy that Tyagi and Mithun are dumped for our poor bowling performance in the first test where both of them didnt even play the test match:laugh:rtfl:rtfl

Mohinder Amarnath once said it right 'Indian selectors (or to be precise, the Board) are a bunch of jokers!'

lol, Dravid/VVS miss a test and this happens. Get used to it because they both including Tendulkar won't be playing many more tests now. Besides No.1 team can't be decided even if we win the 2nd Test.

I don't understand why players like Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja haven't started playing tests yet. They are extremely good in the one day format so why not introduce them into the test scene?

I don't understand why players like Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja haven't started playing tests yet. They are extremely good in the one day format so why not introduce them into the test scene?

Where do you have the spot to play all of them? We can introduce only one at a time. But our selectors havent even done that and have kept Yuvraj in for a long long time. Now only we are seeing that we need to introduce these new players into tests.

Why always you guys talk about VVS and Dravid. cant IND win Test matches without Both of them. Its like Previously SL Can not win Test Matches without Murali :p

India still have lot of world class players.recently SL beat Ind twice with their Inexperience Players in ODI's.

Have you seen Suresh Raina try to take on a short ball? He will get eaten alive by Steyn. Jadeja is barely holding on to a OD spot, no way is he test material yet. Our next generation of test batsman, barring the openers and Kohli, are all domestic stalwarts. Badrinath,Vijay, Rahane, Pujara, Tiwary...etc

I cant understand how suddenly Suresh Raina is given a spot ahead of the likes of Pujara, Pandey, Kohli, Kaif, etc? All these are better longer version players and Raina's short ball problem will get exposed badly by the South African pacers. Hope its just for cover and that Raina doesnt have to play the Eden test.

What about Nayar? He's in pretty good form. And just out of curiosity, I was wondering how fast Nayar bowls, I know he's a medium pacer but dunno how fast exactly.

What about Nayar? He's in pretty good form. And just out of curiosity, I was wondering how fast Nayar bowls, I know he's a medium pacer but dunno how fast exactly.
Yeah he is a pretty good batsman.

Users who are viewing this thread