South African Tour of India 2010

Ah yea, tbh I don't know much about the younger Indian guys. There seems to be a large pool of non-regular players who represent India internationally

R Sharma, R Uttapa, lots of spinners and seamers etc

Uthappa was pretty good last time as well. Both in the 2007 ODI series in India and the return tour.

I think he opened the batting a few times?

Hmm, he seemed like a pretty good talent in the 2008 CB ODI series.

What went wrong? Inconsistency?

Rohit Sharma is India's Ian Bell. Way too overrated! Was never a fan of that lad, and never will I be. He's terribly inconsistent in the international arena, and has failed miserably against top teams bar three/four instances. We have numerous domestic players who deserve a Test call-up much more than he does.

King Cricket added 5 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Uthappa was pretty good last time as well. Both in the 2007 ODI series in India and the return tour.

I think he opened the batting a few times?

Robin is quite a cricketer! And the way bows after taking a catch is epic. I'd love to see him back in the team, but unfortunately the competition is pretty stiff ATM, and Uthappa will have to put up some mesmerizing performances in the domestic circuit if he wants to regain his lost spot.

Dravid now looks more unlikely for the whole series
Dravid has surgery, likely to miss South Africa series | Cricket News | India v South Africa 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Both Dravid and Yuvraj now look like missing the whole series (Yuvraj is 100%, Dravid is 95%). So it will only mean that Badrinath and Vijay might have two test matches against the world No. 2 side like SA to prove their mettle. If they dont, they deserve what they get. Vijay has proved it once against SL, now is the time to prove it here also. Hope him and Badri fight this war to throw Yuvraj out altogether from tests.

This is Badri's last window of opportunity, if he doesnt click........game over for him literally. I say bring in Jadeja or Raina in place of Yuvraj much more beneficial to the team overall...

Rohit Sharma is India's Ian Bell. Way too overrated! Was never a fan of that lad, and never will I be. He's terribly inconsistent in the international arena, and has failed miserably against top teams bar three/four instances. We have numerous domestic players who deserve a Test call-up much more than he does.

Robin is quite a cricketer! And the way bows after taking a catch is epic. I'd love to see him back in the team, but unfortunately the competition is pretty stiff ATM, and Uthappa will have to put up some mesmerizing performances in the domestic circuit if he wants to regain his lost spot.

Rohit Sharma has more talent than Ian Bell. However, he lacks any sort of temperament whatsoever. Was also rushed into the ODI side, imo. Like Raina, but Raina came back to domestic, did amazingly well, and now has that no. 6 spot fairly secured. However the selectors, for some odd reason, do seem to like him though. His only big knock in domestic cricket this season was a triple century, which pretty much inflated his season average. :facepalm

Uthappa is not coming back to international cricket anytime soon. He was Karnataka's worst batsman this season from the top 6. Averaging in the 30s if I'm correct. Everyone else was at least 40s+ which contributed to Karnataka's brilliant season. He's talented, but again, lacks something mentally I guess.

Ravindra Jadeja needs to be picked for these BPXI sides. He was in the top 5 batsmen and bowlers last season, 4th in batsmen and 2nd in bowlers if I remember correctly, and more than deserves a chance as an all-round option.

Last edited:
Like everyone here, I've got the feeling that if one of these two out of Vijay and Badri makes it big in this series, then it could bye bye to Yuvraj until one of the fab four retires. Really want Badri to score big in this series, Hussey proved that you can still be a success at such an age, don't see why Badri can't.

I had a dream that Badri made 12 from 5 before getting out. :D

OH no! Hope you saw that dream early into your sleep and not when it was early morning (there's a myth that early morning dreams tend to come true).:D

OH no! Hope you saw that dream early into your sleep and not when it was early morning (there's a myth that early morning dreams tend to come true).
I had a dream that Badri will score a hundred in very first innings.And I swear it was early morning then.

Badrinath has lot to prove to lot of people///

do you guys have any idea what kind of pressure badri will go through
if the score is IND : 50/4 ??

lets take it easy on the lad. its his debut after all...

i would take him anyday anytime over epic fails....

The only thing I fear for Badrinath is that he should not become this domestic run machine that turns out to be a failure in internationals. He has the history of a few Tamil Nadu players to contend with. There was this guy, Sridharan Sriram who scored bucketful of runs in domestic cricket for Tamil Nadu but in a few chances given in international cricket, he was a mega failure. Same with Sadagoppan Ramesh, but atleast he had a little success initially in his career at international level. But they also had this problem of not being selected because they were from the South (at that time, South was given a very raw deal)

Hopefully now with Srikanth in, there will be fair treatment of these players.

A lot of responsibility falls of Tendulkar and Dhoni now to anchor the innings. I wouldn't be surprised if Sachin drops his strike rate a little and plays a bit more cautiously. After all, the faith one has in Dravid or Laxman standing at the other end is just leagues apart from the faith one would have in a youngster, no matter how talented he is.

Also, taking 20 South African wickets is no mean feat. Zaheer will have to be in top form, and should get Smith early on as much as he can. Kallis, de Villiers, Amla, and Duminy are one hell of a middle order to get through ! Given recent performances and the importance of spin on an Indian wicket I personally would go for Pragyan Ojha over Harbhajan Singh if we decide to play just one spinner. If we play two I support Bhajji over Mishra, better to have a noffie and a leggie than two leggies. Just about everyone in the country will be wishing that Ishant has finally returned to his best, too.

Users who are viewing this thread