Sri Lanka in Australia

Australia are given maidens in the first session. They shouldn't do that if they want to build quickly a huge total. But it seems Ponting wants to kill the game and be certain that they will be assured of winning the Test series and then think of winning the match.

Something interesting in the 38th over of Australia's second innings:

A house close to the ground has caught fire. Like a giant chimney it smokes

Australia finally declared with a lead of 506 runs, but I don't understand why they didn't try to get quick runs. Sri Lanka have more then 5 sessions to bat and to save the match.

I smell yet another victory, I reckon they'll be blown away for around 200, unless Sanga decides to score a quick double century or something.

question for you guys, so with his performance in these 2 tests does Macgill cut it as the #1 spinner for Australia. or is that just because of the oitches that these 2 tests were played on because Murli is strugling to get wickets too.

also Clark should get the new ball with Lee and Johnson should be 1st change.

Marvan and Sanga doing gr8... :clap :happy if we bat carefully we can win this.. we have all the time in the world to do it.. :happy

The Aussie bowling not looking all that threatening at the moment.
Sanga and Marvan look very comfortable out there.
If they can blunt the attack a bit more and Sanath, Mahela fire, Lanka have an outside chance here.

This gives me hope as an Indian fan with our side touring Australia next month.
Australia may find it challenging to bowl the Indian batting lineup of Sachin,VVS,Dravid,Ganguly/Yuvi,Dhoni,Karthik/Jaffer out cheaply every time!

MacGill spins a ball a lot. Other then that, his wrong-un is easy to pick and he has a lack of control. e actualy is a pretty over-rated spinner, he just knows how to spin the ball more then almost anyone.

To be honest, think Hogg deserves to be used against India. India should be good players of spin, so play Hogg, who isnsn't your average spin bowler. I doubt they'll pick his wrong-un.

I don't think MacGill has been terrible. He's been threatening and good at times. I just don't think he's the number 1 spinner. Plus, he's a bit clumsy in the field and really bad with the bat (not that he's had to bat all series, LOL!) Hogg is much better in both areas. Aussies have such a long and dependable order that the battingside doesn't actually matter at all.

Last edited:
Normally this pitch favours spin, so either the spinners aren't performing or the pitch has changed. A bit remarkable that Atapattu and Sangakkara are hanging on. Also Ponting might be regretting he didn't enforce the follow on or that they didn't attack in the first session today.

Wow, the Sri Lankans are showing fight for the first time this series. Shame they couldn't do it with the ball.

What a nut! What a nut! Massive wicket! In swinger which smashes over off. Woo!!!

Hatty for Binga maybe?

What a summer he's having.

Last edited:
That's really bad. That over of Lee is decisive. He got Atapattu out and Jayawardene for a duck and that seals the match.

what was mahela doing out there? oh no.. its terrible now for SL..

It was a good ball he got. Still should have been playing it. Hard first up, but he's coming off a hundred

Another partnership is building for Sri Lanka and by now Sangakkara got his century, but Sri Lanka will need more from him.

Tomorrow Sri Lanka will need 260 from 90 overs. It's not unreachable.

Last edited:
Sangakarra is the key to the game. I he can bat throughout the day with contributions from the rest of the batting, Sri Lanka can win.
However if Australia remove Sangakarra early on then that'll be asking too much of a troubled Sri Lankan batting line-up looking at the series so far.

I suppose the good thing for Sri Lanka is that MacGill is not bowling well at the moment since it seems he's struggling with fitness and he was the weak link out their yesterday and he might be today if Sri Lanka get on top of him.

Users who are viewing this thread