Sri Lanka in Australia

Wow, after looking at domestic records, I'd take Katich/Hussey then Voges/Rogers in that order. WHy is David not playing? His first class record is amazing just like his brother's.

In light of Katich's triple, I feel sorry for him that his good form is being 'wasted'. But then again, there are many other talents just waiting on the sidelines.

David Hussey
Adam Voges
Chris Rogers

Wasted!?!?! Your a NSW fan, how could you say that! He gets to play a full season for us with this form, what are you saying!?!?

Hilfy hasn't done anything special to force the selectors to pick him :(
Bad luck to Hughes on missing a half century would have been an awesome feat for him. Lewis has hit back well in the 2nd inns but as expected this game is headed for the draw.
He hasn't had a chance to do anything special of late to force a selection.

Yeah, I don't think a twenty20 game gives an opportunity to the bowler to show what he's capable of.

From what I saw of Hilfy he is a good bowler and another one to be in line for selection for the Aussies.

Wasted!?!?! Your a NSW fan, how could you say that! He gets to play a full season for us with this form, what are you saying!?!?

I mean playing for Australia. I feel in his current form he deserves another shot, but with so many others lining up it's just tragic.

Hardly anyone follows Aussie domestic competiton anyway. It's only good to watch future stars.

On the otherhand, I don't know why Voges would be considered for a Test position. He seems to be a OD player and has only played 33 FC games at the age of 28 might suggest something negative.

I follow the domestic comp strongly and Katich helps boost our chances of success in the competitions. Katich is not needed in the Australian team. He is getting older and Australia has a strong line-up. NSW need katich for most of the 5 year deal he signed with us.

I mean playing for Australia. I feel in his current form he deserves another shot, but with so many others lining up it's just tragic.

He shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Hes been hard done by all his carreer. I am re-reading the Ricky Ponting ashes diary and in nearly all the innings in ODI's he has builded good partnerships and in Tests saved us with numerous Hundreds against Sri Lanka and India.

Last edited:
Selection has paradoxically reduced his chances of selection. Ideally he should have gotten a release to play with Tassie from the start of the season, but what's a young man to do?

David Hussey won't play Tests. He will be lucky to get a shot in ODIs anyways. Adam Voges is ahead of him in the pecking order and is younger so the selectors would rather go with him. Iam scared the selectors are going to pick Johnson off his form in the ODI series - bad move. He hasn't proven himself enough at Pura Cup level yet. Tait>Johnson. Hilfenhaus surely has to be in the mix as well. Hasn't done a thing wrong. Angy, what are you thinking?! Dan Cullen to play Test Cricket?! Thats ridiculous. He isn't in form, is to young and last season he had a very poor season. I don't think he will be affective at all against opposition like Sri Lanka and India - great players of spin. He will get walloped, lose confidence and then we will probably see him again in 3 years time.
Then, I guess it's a sorry state of affairs when a batsman averaging 56 in First Class cricket is no hope to ever play a Test and what's more, a player averaging 38 is more likely to get picked because he is two years younger. We are England.

Now, I don't know what else you read out of my post, but I said Cullen might be in the mix if things go his way. That's no prediction, but all things fair, if Hilfenhaus or Tait can make selection on the basis of a single match, then really, so should anyone else competing for an available spot. So if Cullen were to take a surprise ten wickets, we'd have to say he's on the table.

Hope Sangakkara's injury is not a serious one and he plays in the first test. He's a class act one of the few who play the moving and bouncing ball pretty well in the side. Would be a huge loss.

What exactly happened to Sangakarra, I've been ale to gather that he's injured, but I don't know what he has done or how. So Fill me in, in the style of Craig David.

Selection has paradoxically reduced his chances of selection. Ideally he should have gotten a release to play with Tassie from the start of the season, but what's a young man to do?

Then, I guess it's a sorry state of affairs when a batsman averaging 56 in First Class cricket is no hope to ever play a Test and what's more, a player averaging 38 is more likely to get picked because he is two years younger. We are England.

Now, I don't know what else you read out of my post, but I said Cullen might be in the mix if things go his way. That's no prediction, but all things fair, if Hilfenhaus or Tait can make selection on the basis of a single match, then really, so should anyone else competing for an available spot. So if Cullen were to take a surprise ten wickets, we'd have to say he's on the table.

Ok, with the Hussey thing. Well, look at players his age who came into the Test side with similar averages at State level. Martin Love - even though he did get a game, he didn't last long. Stuart Law - Fantastic State player, didn't get the chance to play many Tests. Jimmy Maher - Another huge run scorer, but age is not with him. Its just being realistic, at his age, history shows he won't get a gig unless Michael Clarke breaks down with his back or Hussey falls off the face of the earth.

Well, Dan Cullen. I used to like him, but since 2 seasons ago, he has gone downhill. I saw him bowl last weekend, he was throwing up pies. He just doesn't look ready when some people are saying he should be picked for the SL Test matches! If Cullen played a Test series now against Sri Lanka and India (Awesome players of spin) he would get mauled. Ridiculous how him and Cullen Bailey got CA contracts. Especially Bailey. I read on another forum, a guy who watched him ball in Grade Cricket on the weekend, saw him him bowl a long hop that bounced twice on the pitch! And some people are saying he is good enough for Australia?!

What exactly happened to Sangakarra, I've been ale to gather that he's injured, but I don't know what he has done or how. So Fill me in, in the style of Craig David.

Haaaamstring twinge, because he bent down to stroke his minge.

Last edited:
Ok, with the Hussey thing. Well, look at players his age who came into the Test side with similar averages at State level. Martin Love - even though he did get a game, he didn't last long. Stuart Law - Fantastic State player, didn't get the chance to play many Tests. Jimmy Maher - Another huge run scorer, but age is not with him. Its just being realistic, at his age, history shows he won't get a gig unless Michael Clarke breaks down with his back or Hussey falls off the face of the earth.
I'm not sure the point you make exactly, because all of those players got their chance at international level, proving my point that from his best form, David Hussey should expect a call up. I'm not saying he should play 100 Tests and 300 ODIs, I'm just saying the best players deserve to be given the faith of the selectors. In Love's case, he did all he could from his opportunities, but Law was given a lot of time. If Hodge doesn't play again, you can still say he got chances and given his record, made the most of quite a few of them.

07/08 is a long season for Australia. It extends 7 Tests and 10 ODIs beyond the home series, in addition to what has already been played. We've already seen a lot of injury scares and it really wouldn't be a surprise if someone breaks down or is simply rested. Hussey is probably the best uncapped player in the country and I don't think that's at all a big statement, because most players of his ilk have gotten at least a little time in the sun.

Forgot to mention Heal in my last post. Good effort to get 3 wickets and then he should his batting ability with the 50. Another good season for WA could see him knocking on the door for selection if our spinner spot isn't sorted.

Looking at how the potential bowlers are going Johnson will get the spot by default.

I reckon we need a big rotation \policy for 07/08 with amassive general pool of players we pick and rotate from to prepare for the departure of Gilchrist, Hayden, MacGill and Hogg and maybe even Ponting.

I propose a list:

Voges - opener
Jaques - opener
Rogers - opener
Watson (maybe temp ODI) - opener/middle order
Hussey - middle order
Haddin - keeper/finisher
Hodge - middle order
White (ODI) - finisher/pinch hitter
Katich (tests) - middle order
Hilfenhaus - opening/1st change

only problem is lack of quality in pace bowling and spin bowling. gotta find new talent. I reckon Cullen and the other bloke just won't cut it. That's quite sad =(

Users who are viewing this thread