Sri Lanka in Australia

You're forgetting Shaun Tait?

And Ponting will play on for years, don't worry.

Adam Voges would only be a ODI player for me aswell.

Voges isn't an opener, don't make stuff up.

AUSSIE SQUAD ANNOUNCED

Matthew Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting (capt)
Mike Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Brett Lee
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart Clark
Shaun Tait
Brad Hogg
Stuart MacGill

selectors making the obvious choice in Jaques, but keeping options open with the bowlers; possibilities ranging from spin twins that could make an easy paced wicket tougher to bat on, to a fiery pace quartet ideal for a hard surface.

Tait comes in a touch undercooked, but under top level supervision they will see how much pace he can recover in a short amount of time. Compared to Tait and Johnson, Hilfenhaus can feel a tad left out, both players very much riding on ODI success and a reputation for speed.

Meanwhile, nets sessions have never looked so important, with Hogg and MacGill now set to duke it out in practice. On song, MacGill is the most aggressive spin bowler in world cricket, a well proven performer at the top level and indeed one who steps up another gear for Australia, but doubts will have to be quashed about his match fitness owing to recent knee surgery. Adding to his woes, Hogg has developed steeply in recent years and looks very damaging, having taken 39 wickets at 18.77 in just 8 first class appearances since October 2004. Combined with his ODI record, he has forced his way back into the Test squad.

Cant really argue with that team except the fact that Hussey is coming in at 4, ahead of Clarke. If that is the batting line-up.

Good side. I would have picked the same. I'd say, Hogg might be lucky to play, but all the same he deserved the call-up.

Hayden wont face first ball, he never does

Shaun Tait deserves the place its amazing how quick you have all forgotten about the World Cup

Id like to see Hogg but MacGill deserves the place

I'm disappointed that Johnson has been selected at (potentially) the expense of Hilfenhaus.

Team:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
MacGill
Tait

Tbh Bracken/Hilfenhaus should've replaced Johnson. Whatever the case it's still gonna be diffucult to bowl out Sri Lanka, they have a solid batting lineup against our somewhat depleted bowling stocks.

This would be the squad I would choose if I was an Australian selector:

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Johnson
Clark
MacGill

Johnson has impressed me very much in the ODI's against India in which he was able to swing the ball and even if it doesn't swing he has the pace to hit the pitch hard and extract extra bounce so he would get in over Tait.

But isn't Australia trying to make the number 4 spot Clarkes and at Number 5 with only Symonds and Gilly left you might need to bat with the tail which Hussey is better at.

But isn't Australia trying to make the number 4 spot Clarkes and at Number 5 with only Symonds and Gilly left you might need to bat with the tail which Hussey is better at.

Yeah, I do see your point but you need you best batsmen up the order.
Gilly is very good batting with the tail the last I checked since he made I think a 150 against England and made about 50-60 of those batting with Glenn McGrath so he is capable of also batting with the tail.

I don't think it matters about who can bat with the tail the best in a test match. Your best players have to be up the order and Hussey has done better than Clarke looking at their careers so far.

Yeah Hussey has done better at Clarke, but hes been at Number 5 when doing so. But then again did Hussey bat at 4 in the Ashes? Because Clarke made 2 100's and a 50 and i dont remember if he was at number 4 or 5 when he did that.

Hussey batted at 5 in the first game because Damien Martyn was playing but if you recall, Martyn quit after the first test so Symonds came in and Clarke and Hussey moved up a place.

Your best player must be up the order regardless because they need to have the most opportunity to make a big contribution.

Users who are viewing this thread